It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Frippledip HB User
Ankle arthroscopy and screw removal on 9/19

Hello everyone,

I am new to the board and like most people here, I'm having a procedure done that I'd like a little more info on. Long story short, I broke my leg/ankle about 9 years ago (I'm 32 now) and had 5 screws as well as a plate holding my fibula together installed. I had one screw removed about 6 weeks after my initial surgery, and now I am having a second one removed. I am getting married in December and had started exercising on the elliptical for a bout 3 weeks, 3-4 x's a week, nothing too strenuous. I went to the doctor after starting to experience a lot more pain. It had been escalating for a while but the exercise just puched it over the edge. My doctor said that arthroscopic surgery would help with pain by removing bone spurs (I imagine these to look like porcupine balls of spikes ) and other junk, and also that taking the big screw out would help.

I've read some of these other threads about arthroscopy, but I'm having trouble finding any info online about screw removal and what happens afterward. The doctor has promised that I will be back up to speed in 6-8 weeks, I guess I'm just nervous that I am cutting it a little close. The surgery is on 9/19, and the wedding is on 12/8. I guess I'm just nervous and need a little reassurance. I am just in so much pain I don't think I could wait until after the wedding even if I wanted to. This way I can hopefully enjoy my wedding and honeymoon even more.

So, does the arthroscopy really help with the pain? What about the screw removal? I don't know the correct medical term and when I ****** it it's kind of hard find the info I'm looking for? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
-hurting in San Diego

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2007, 04:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

55steel HB User
Re: Ankle arthroscopy and screw removal on 9/19

Arthroscopy is just a procedure. The outcome of the surgery is totally dependent on what gets done during the procedure. Having a bone chip removed is way easier than some major repair work even if they are both done arthroscopically.

Other than having screws removed I can't really tell from your post what else you're having done. I have three pins in my ankle that may need to be removed. My doctor says it's a pain in the @ to remove them. Whether that means more pain for me, I don't know. But from the sounds of it he will have to chisel the pins out. I suspect this will cause the Mother of all bruises and a fair amount of pain.

Sounds like you did some major damage to your ankle. I wouldn't expect to be pain free so look for a reduction of pain from surgery. You can always get a second or third opinion from other doctors. You can and should.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
Re: Ankle arthroscopy and screw removal on 9/19

I have had some relief with arthroscopic surgeries. I had a bone chip removed the first time and bone spurs and arthritis smoothed out the second time. I left my hardware in until I had the ankle fused last year. They are relatively simple procedures. Each time I was back to work a week later with no complications and I worked on my feet in a busy restaurant about 60 plus hours a week. I would think you will be ok. In the meantime, you may want to ask your dr for alternative pain relief methods if you decide to wait until after the wedding.
Good luck!

Closed Thread