It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
(female)

uglybunion HB User
Minimal Incision Bunion Surgery

Hi, I am new to this board and would appreciate any advice I can get. I have decided to have bunion surgery but am having a difficult time deciding on where to get it done. I live in the Toronto (Canada) area and have had 2 consults with 2 different dpm's but still feel uneasy.
Did anyone out there have this procedure done in Toronto and if so, who was your surgeon and how were the results?

Also, for those of you not from the area, have you had minimal incision bunion surgery and how did it go?

Many many thanks.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
(female)

monster bunion HB User
Re: Minimal Incision Bunion Surgery

I personally would not trust anyone who says they can do minimal incision bunion surgery. Minimal incision surgery of any kind requires specialized training and equipment to work in a tiny area and that MD needs to have tons of practice doing so. I don't think this is the standard of care yet. You may be putting your foot at risk, you want to be absolutely sure that the technique has been successful and that the MD has been successful. What is important is that your foot work right after surgery, not the length of the scar.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
(female)

KathJack HB User

I'm not from Canada, nor do I know about minimal incision surgery, but I had bunionectomies with "regular" incisions about a year and a half ago and the scars are almost totally invisible now. The doctor had said that he might have to cut on the tops of my toes but he was able to do side cuts, so even before the scars disappeared, they were not conspicuous. My skin does tend to heal well, so I'm sure that everyone's experience is not as good, but I wouldn't worry about scarring unless you usually have problems with it. I did use Mederma, an over-the-counter product that is supposed to minimize scarring; I'm not sure how much it helped. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2007, 05:34 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

55steel HB User

I wouldn't get hung up on a minimal incision. The incision for a toe can only be so big anyway. The work that's done inside is going to be exactly the same so a month from now it's not going to make a bit of difference. It's really just a lot of hype and makes the surgery more difficult for the surgeon.

Closed Thread