It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
(female)

mamaws11 HB User
Unhappy upcoming midfoot fusion surgery

hi and thanks for letting me join . i need some advice and help from anyone who has ever had a midfoot fusion surgery.my surgery is sheduled for sept.25 and i am getting very nervous.i have osteoarthritis in my right foot and the podiatrist is going to fuse my bones.i have a few questions,will i have general anestesia,does the dr. give you a prescription for pain meds before the surgery,will i have a cast on afterward?i am in so much pain now and i can only imagine the pain afterward.if anyone can help i would appriciate it,or share their experience with me.thanks

Old 09-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
(female)

BunionPatient HB User
Re: upcoming midfoot fusion surgery

Hey mamaws11, welcome to the Boards!!! I can give you an idea of what it was like in my point of view. I also had a podiatrist and gave me Vicodin prescription before I had my surgery. I had a Lapidus procedure 7/23/07 for my severe bunions. They did fusion on the middle of the 1st metatarsal. (2 screws are placed there) My surgery was done in a surgery center. I had general anestesia. (I asked the doc before if I was going to be awake for this and he said no) Before the surgery, I was asked by a nurse if I was allergic to anything and if I ever had general. She asked if I made sure if I did not eat after 10 pm the night before. ( I guess it's bad to have food in your system before surgery) I have no clue! I told them I wasn't allergic to anything and it was my 1st time having general so I was a little nervous. My temperature/heart rate was checked.....I remember going in the surgery room and there were big lights and the anestisologist asked me what college I am going to and after I answered him that's all I remembered. LOL! I was brought to the waiting room and I woke up pretty fast. I did not have a headache or anything but it differs from person to person. I was not put in a cast, I had a lot of heavy bandages and I was put in a big boot. It's called Royce Medical Air Equalizer Hi Top Walking Boot. I also had to use crutches for 6+ weeks...nonweight bearing for 4+ weeks....Umms, my foot was numb for more than one day (they put some type of pain med too before/during surgery) and on the 3rd day my foot was in so much pain for the whole day! I remember the nurse telling me to take the pain meds every 4 hours or so because the pain can kick in. And in the 3rd day it did kick in. After the 3rd day, my pain has never been that bad. I am just waiting on for the bones to fuse and I have my appt. 9/18 I'll give you an update on my x-rays. Well, that's my experience!!! Good luck!!! For me the surgery was not bad at all, but the post-op recovery is not fun because you have to be really patient... I felt deprived from walking.. Now, I'm starting to bear more weight and trying to walk normal again. =)

Last edited by BunionPatient; 09-11-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #3
(female)

mamaws11 HB User

hi bunionpatient and thanks for the reply,it sure sounds like you have been through alot yourself. i am getting really scared ,as i am not one to lay around too much,but i will do whatever it takes.i hope every thing works out for you also.good luck and keep me posted on your progress ,thanks again

Old 09-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Hi,
I know your surgery is coming up, just wanted to add my two cents. I had a Lapidus bunionectomy (midfoot fusion) on June 20 and am 12 weeks post-op.
I was in so much pain and misery from my bunion for 20 days before surgery that I wanted to have that surgery or die. Surprisingly, after the surgery, the bunion pain was gone but there was the surgical pain for two days which felt like an elephant is sitting on your foot and the foot throbs against the bandage wrappings. The first day of surgery, there is pain (I took two vicodin every 4 hours) and the second day was worse with more throbbing than the day before. The third day it got better. Then in my case, I got some contact dermatitis under the bandages which I didn't know what was happening so I was back on the pain meds. This probably won't happen to you, I just seem to have sensitive skin. I had a cast put on a week after the bandages came off, then two weeks after surgery, they remove the stitches and put another cast on, then three weeks after surgery, they remove the cast to check your foot, then put on another cast for three more weeks. If you haven't prepared your house yet, you should probably do so. I had a wheelchair, crutches, and a walker. Be aware that the first week you will be medicated and it will be easy to fall with a clunky bandage on your foot. I tried the crutches before surgery and thought, hey this is easy, but after surgery, I lost my balance twice and put my foot down, it was scary. Get a refrigerator or ice chest near the bed, you will be icing very frequently. Get a hand held shower head and a shower chair. I got one of those grab bars to pick up things on the floor you can't reach. I brushed my teeth in bed, sounds silly, but the foot will throb if you stand up. Put all your meds, comb, mirror, brush, lotion, by the bedside. The surgery itself is not the hard part. You go in, you are asleep, you wake up, and then they say good-bye to you. It is then up to you to deal with the pain and recovery at home by yourself. I told my husband that I was so sick of making decisions, I had to decide when to take the pain meds, when to do this, when to do that, etc., and I never knew for sure if I was doing the right things. My doctor said I did a good job though, but the praise was far and few between. Dealing with discomfort on a 24/7 basis for the first three weeks was exhausting for me (because I had contact dermatitis under the cast), but the last three weeks were ok. After the cast comes off, they give you a walking boot and you can start walking. What the doctors don't tell you is the psychological impact of this surgery. I'm a type A person and tend to judge myself by the things I can do. I could not do much of anything in a cast because my foot was uncomfortable if I moved too much. It really sapped my spirit. After I started to walk again, recovery was very slow and frustrated me because I wanted to do everything just like before surgery but I couldn't. So, don't be too hard on yourself and take things slow. My family helped me a lot which was strange because I always was the one to take care of them. Anyway, good luck to you on your surgery, you will do fine. It's no fun, but you will be able to walk pain free and wear most shoes in the end.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:01 AM   #5
(female)

mamaws11 HB User

Hi Monster Bunion
it sure is nice to have someone to talk to that is going through the same thing.You have given me so much information about my surgery and i appriaciate it.I hope you are feeling better,I bet you are excited to find out that every thing is going as planned.As for me i will not see the doctor again until the surgery,so i am still in pain as i have no pain meds and i have to stop the motrin i have been for pain a few days before surgery.The motrin really doesnt haelp much anyway.I am really nervous for after the surgery because i will be laid up and it will be hard because i am the one that takes care of my husband as he has many health problems too.I have a 17 year old but he attends school.my other children(5) more have their own families to care for.But i am a strong person and i know I can do it on my own.it is nice knowing i have someone like you to help me and encourage me and i thank you for that.well hope you feel well soon. Thanks again,Brenda

Last edited by mamaws11; 09-15-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Brenda,
Good Luck and best wishes to you. I hope your 17 year old can help you out, and don't hesitate to ask your other children to come help.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
(female)

mamaws11 HB User

well i had my surgery on the 25th and i am so misrable,i have had 6 kids and that did not hurt as bad as what im going through now.i had to return to the dr. only after 3 days after the surgery to put on a new splint as the one i had on hurt so bad.not this one is hurting im about to cut it off.the pain meds do not work ,im sick of laying in bed,if i could do this over again i would never had the surgery.someone please tell me it will be ok before i go crazy as i dont know what to expect in the weeks or months to come.thanks for any reply.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
(female)

tazzy0429 HB User
Thumbs up Re: upcoming midfoot fusion surgery

I am a year out from my surgery and it does get better. I too had my cast repeatedly redone and finally they put me in just the surgical dressing because i could not tolerate a casts. I ended up with a blood clot to top it all off. Unfortunatly I did not fuse so of course they want to do this again but I don't think I am going to. I know what you are going through and Just keep your head up ...it will get better!Hang in there!!!!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Hi Mamaws11,
I know exactly what you are going through. I was in pain from the bunion for three weeks before surgery, and then came the surgery pain. I developed a contact dermatitis under my surgical dressing after a week, which turned into blisters all over the top of my foot. I had to beg the cast technician to take the cast off. She kept insisting the cast was not too tight. They took the cast off, saw the blisters, then insisted they had to put a cast on over the blisters. Just my unbelievable luck. So my first and second weeks were just a nightmare. The third week is less intense throbbing and pain when you put your foot down. The fourth, fifth, and sixth weeks, are ok, but my toe kept twitching for the last three weeks which was annoying because they want you to move your big toe which the foot didn't like too much. I could not believe the uncomfortable misery of the foot those first three weeks which went on 24/7. It was like water torture. I lay in my bed so much I don't really sleep well in that room. It does get better when the cast comes off and they let you walk on the foot. Hang in there, I prayed a lot.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
(female)

mamaws11 HB User

thanks for the reply tazzy0429 what type of surgery did you have? i have a splint on but it feels like a cast i go to the dr.today i hope he takes out the stiches and i really pray he dont cast it because i cant stand to be confined anywhere on my body i quess it is a phobia.well i with keep you updated thanks,brenda

Old 10-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #11
(female)

mamaws11 HB User

thanks monster bunion for the reply it sure is nice to have someone to talk to that has been through this too.sorry about your rash on your foot i bet that was no fun.how long did you have the cast on?and when can you start weight bearing on your foot?also do you have physical therapy after the cast comes off?my other foot is starting to burn from using the cruthes hopping on the good foot.i have a dr. appt. today and i will keep ou updated,thanks again,brenda

Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 AM   #12
(female)

tazzy0429 HB User
Cool Re: upcoming midfoot fusion surgery

I had a midfoot fusion where they fused my first three cuniforms and the heads of my first two metatarsels. They used four titanium screws to fix it all together but unfortunately my cuniforms did not fuse together so now they want to re-do and use a bone stimulator this time. I am looking at all my options (the very few) I don't now if I can go through it again but I cannot do most of the things I did before. They seem to think it is because I did not completely fuse and the screws are moving which will cause them to snap from metal fatique at some point. Either way I will now have to have the screws removed. I can find lots of info on the origional surgery but no senarios on what happens when things go wrong. I became very depressed during the first stages after my surgery was done and was not at all prepared for that aspect of it. At least if I do it again I am a little more prepared. I had two girls , both by c-section and I agree , it does not compare to the pain I had after this surgery. I can say it does get better. Don't hesitate to call your doctor even if it seems something trivial. That is what you pay him for! Keep your head up. Get well soon!!!!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
(female)

mamaws11 HB User

to tazzy0429 did the dr. say why you bones did not fuse?that is what im afraid of ,how long was you non weight bearing after your surgery?i could not have a cast on either as my foot is still swollen and the stiches are still in my foot also i pleaded with the dr. to not put on a cast the splint i had on was driving me crazy,so he put a jones compression on me.it is almost 3 weeks since my surgery and my foot is still swollen and hurts alot hopefully i will get my stiches out tommorow,the dr.is going to take xrays .i will keep you posted.thanks for the reply,brenda

Old 10-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #14
(female)

monster bunion HB User

I was in a cast for 6 weeks and then started weight-bearing after the cast came off. Good luck to you.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #15
(female)

mamaws11 HB User

i went to the dr. yesterday and he said my bones are healing but when he took off the tape holding the incision together is started opening up,he said it did not look good the incision is not healing,i need to watch out for an infection so he wraped it up and put me in a boot(i begged him not to put on a cast)shame on me when i got home my little dachshund jumped right on top of my foot i hope she did not crack the bone because it hurt so bad.it feels better today as i am still on vicodin.

Closed Thread