It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
(female)

mm3screws HB User
Unhappy Is it supposed to hurt this bad?

I had three screws put in my foot to repair a break at the bottom of my first and second metatarsals that occurred in a car wreck. After 9 weeks in a cast and 3 weeks in a boot I have not been able to put any weight on my foot until this week. Today is my second day of trying to walk again and it is excruciating!!!! Has anyone else been through this? Is this much pain normal? It feels like my foot is going to split apart every time I take a step. As soon as I put my foot down, I just want to jerk it back up. Please someone let me know if walking again is supposed to hurt this bad!

Old 09-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #2
(female)

BunionPatient HB User
Re: Is it supposed to hurt this bad?

Hey, i'm sorry your in so much pain. Are you using the boot to walk with? If not, you should definitely. Right now, I'm using a boot and crutches to put some of my weight on so I haven't put full weight. Take it easy and ask your doc because it sounds like you need help...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
(female)

mm3screws HB User

Thanks BunionPatient! Yes i am walking in the boot, but it is still very painful!! I can't imagine how much it would hurt without the boot!!!

Did you dr tell you to use the crutches while you are walking to take part of the weight off your foot? How long have you been partial weightbearing at this point? Was it tough at first? Did it get easier over time?

Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

Yes, I started bearing weight about 2 1/2 weeks ago..... The doctor told me to use crutches for 2 weeks with the boot and then I can start losing the crutches and walking on my own. He told me to start with putting weight on the heel 1st....Well, for me it was easier said than done. On the first few days I only put a little pressure on my foot....I put most of the weight in the crutches. It hurted me because I was so use to having my leg bent and elevated that when it was down and straight, it really hurt behind the knee area.... That faded away... and I started to bear more weight... I haven't bear full weight like walk on my own because when I tried it did not feel good. You should get better in time....The begining was tough for me too. Take it very easy in the beg., and Your Welcome!

Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
(female)

mm3screws HB User

Thank you!! I think I will call my dr. tomorow and see if he has some suggestions for easing the transition. I've just been walking on my own without help from crutches or anything else for 2 days now. He said to just walk around the house this week and then over the next two weeks gradually start walking more places. But at this point, just getting from the bedroom to the kitchen feels like and endurance test! BTW, what kind of surgery did you have??

Old 09-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

Wow, now I can see why you've been hurting so much!!! It's so hard without crutches and you did it without when you 1st started weight bearing! My procedure is called a Lapidus Buniectomy. I had fusion done in the midfoot of the 1st metatarsal with two screws placed there.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i would also use crutches and make sure the screws arent protuding.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Definitely use the crutches and only bear partial weight if it hurts. If it hurts bad, stop and try again the next day. By waiting a day, your foot will recover and feel a little better. You will find each day your foot will feel a little bit better.

Closed Thread