It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 07:12 AM   #1
(male)

cooperspaw HB User
June 28 Fx Calcaneous with ORIF July 18, 2007

Crashed my Vespa into the back of a car while avoiding a pedestrian who apparently was trying to get herself killed(joking). Went through the whole 3 weeks of waiting for the fracture blisters and swelling to go down. Then got the Titanium plate and 7 screws placed. Now am 6 weeks out and have started non weight being therapy. Hope to be told I can walk on it in about another month. {{{{{{{{REMOVED}}}}}}}}

Had a truely gifted surgeon work on me but like all surgeons his people skills were lacking. Anyway so far things are progressing nicely. Have good days and bad days. Generally bored out of my mind. Thank God for DVD's.
Daytime TV is the worse.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-29-2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: peer sharing only

Old 09-12-2007, 07:31 AM   #2
(female)

mazzie46 HB User
Re: June 28 Fx Calcaneous with ORIF July 18, 2007

Hiya, and welcome to the land of recliners, lol. I am 10 weeks post op from a calcaneal osteotomy, tibial tendon repair and chondral defect. Have gotta say, i totally agree with regarding surgeons...they seem to have a secret code that they don't want the rest of us to know! Thanks to the kind people on these boards though, i've learnt loads, and pestered the surgeon less.

I wish you a speedy trouble free recovery!! Don't shout too loudly about answering questions...you'll be inundated!! Lol.

Good luck

Mazzie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
(male)

cooperspaw HB User

Mazzie thanks for the warm welcome. Had 2nd PT appt today. They take a strange pleasure in causing discomfort. Having good ROM results from excercising. Still non weight being. 4 weeks to go!!! then the real trial begins. Everyone keep it up!! Bye for now.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
(female)

sunny77 HB User

Cooperspaw,
Sorry about your accident! I imagine you haven't been able to work since then, as you'd have to be on your feet all day and if you're in a hospital setting, transferring/etc wouldn't be possible. The recovery from these feet things are the worst...never realize how much we depend on our feet until they're useless. And it takes so much energy to do everything! I had surgery at the end of May, similar to Mazzie's, and am slowly getting better.{{{{{{REMOVED}}}} I've lucked out in getting a dr who is an excellent surgeon as well as supportive, willing to take time and explain things, return phone calls, and is not burned out! One thing I found was how much more empathy I had for my patients (not being able to get up easily, being stir crazy, feeling "doped up", sleepy, bored, in pain...). As far as PT, you know it stands for "pain and torture" or "physical torture", right? I give my PT a hard time about being a cheerleader for pain! How much PT are you going to have to do? {{{{{{REMOVED}}}}Good luck as you move forward with PT...it's coming closer to an end!
Krista

Last edited by moderator2; 10-29-2007 at 03:13 PM. Reason: peer sharing only

Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
(male)

cooperspaw HB User

Sunny (Krista),

No havent worked since Late June. Definately a drain on the old income But should be ok financially. (Not planning on retiring any time soon). Have 3 different types of insurance and of course each is saying that the other should pay for it. How long after surg did you return to work. Am hoping for 5 months but would love it to be sooner and am realistic that it may be longer. One hopes for the best.

Cooperspaw

Last edited by cooperspaw; 09-12-2007 at 11:27 PM. Reason: addressed wrong

Old 09-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
(female)

debincalif HB Userdebincalif HB User

Hi Cooperspaw,

Just thought I'd throw in my exerience. I had basically the same surgery as Krista and Mazzie (posterior tibial tendon repair, Evans calcaneal osteotomy) in mid-March.

My job requires me to be on my feet 8+ hours per day (on a cement floor, no less), and I am still not back to work. I was supposed to be released for work on Sept. 1, but now my peroneus brevis (sp?) tendon has started acting up, so I got shot up with more cortisone and my return-to-work date was pushed back to Oct. 15th. Also, from where I am in my recovery, the thought of being able to stand/walk for 8 hours is something I cannot wrap my mind around! After about an hour, I hit a threshhold and I cannot tollerate standing or walking much past that point. My doctor and physical therapist and I have had several conversations, and at this point I am searching for a new job that doesn't require the bulk of my day to be spent on my feet. In my case, I may never be able to tollerate that type of work environment again (which would really be ok with me!). Just thought I'd share what I'm going through.

Good luck to you,
Deb

Old 09-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
(male)

cooperspaw HB User

Deb,
Hate to even consider the prospect of not returning to the floor as a nurse. Luckily for me I had no tendon or ligament damage. Just shattered the bone in 13 pieces. Truely amazing that what seemed like a minor injury at the time (have had 52 other fractures prior to this.............name a bone I've broken it) can have such an amazing effect on a persons life. Best to all of you of course, hope things improve and things progress well.

Terry (Cooperspaw)

Old 09-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #8
(male)

cooperspaw HB User

Just back from therapy. AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
feels like electricity races up and down my foot. The good news is that the foots does appear to move a little!. its good to know that my therapist can get a job at Helga's House of pain if this career doesnt work out for her. Hope you are all healing well.

Terry

Old 10-29-2007, 07:21 AM   #9
(female)

sheryl60 HB User
Angry Re: June 28 Fx Calcaneous with ORIF July 18, 2007

Cooperspaw:

I like you had a calcaneous fracture on 6/24/07, had surgery on 7/2/07, It has been the most horrible experience of my life. I started PT 2nd week of August and have been in therapy for 2 months. I am still not walking. I have made some progress, but still not where i expected to be at this point. I have started seeing a chiropractor 2 weeks ago because i am frustrated, not sure if it will help, but i need to try something. I wanted to know how you are progressing seeing our time line is very similar. I hope you are having better results. I just wish i knew how long this injury takes. I am at 4 1/2 months and praying every day that when i wake up it will be over. I am or was an active person and this is killing me. The depression has been horrible and gets worse because there doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel. I am a 47 year old female with a family and i'm not sure how i'll be able to get through this. my hope is that it can't be for much longer. My family has been wonderful, but they don't understand what i go through each day. Every day is a struggle and everything you try to do is just so strenuous and almost impossible. Please let me know how you are doing and any advice you may have would be helpful.

Sheryl60

Last edited by sheryl60; 10-29-2007 at 09:08 AM.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
(male)

cooperspaw HB User
Smile Re: June 28 Fx Calcaneous with ORIF July 18, 2007

First off let me say how sorry I am to hear of your accident. I feel like I know exactly what you mean. Depression has been a constant companion in this ordeal. As the main bread winner in my family I watch as they work harder picking up my slack and having less to show for it. I am so proud of them and many times feel like the "weak link". This being said, I have learned a few things along this path.
No one should judge their own recovery based on someone elses. We each have a severe injury and while effecting the same part of our bodies, they are different injuries. Stop setting time based goals for yourself. ( like in 2 weeks I'll walk around the block). Where were you yesterday? Beat it by an inch today. All progress is progress and you should feel good about it. Some days are going to be harder than others. Just keep going forward. In answer to your question, I became weight bearing 12 days 6 hours and 15 minutes ago. (amazing how important that moment is). I couldnt even stand on it let alone walk. Spent the first 3 days with 2 crutches under my arms trying to support my foot as I walked over it. OOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHH!!!!!!! !!!!!! Then progressed to a single crutch and for the last 2 days have walked independantly. Granted that I walk like a 80 yr old man but its walking.
The sad part is that I think
this new activity is exacerbating a knee injury that occurred during the accident. I have an MRI scheduled this week. I wasnt able to do any weight bearing for 12 weeks post surgery! and now maybe another one?!
I have found breaking up the day helps. No more than a couple of hours of anything. I go to a rec center near my house and do a ton of water excercises(that has been a major help). In the water I feel like I'm free.Would be happy to talk to you more if you need.
Believe me talking helps.
Take care,
Terry

Last edited by cooperspaw; 10-29-2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: typos

Old 10-30-2007, 09:01 AM   #11
(female)

sheryl60 HB User

Sounds as though you are upbeat and on the mend. I hope my recovery is in the near future. chiropractic seems to help more than PT did. I will try to stay in good spirits. have you gone back to your job yet? I did October 1st, I mostly sit and roll around in my chair. at least 8 hours of my day are busy.
keep me posted on your recovery and I'll do the same. Have a good day!!

Old 11-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
(male)

cooperspaw HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheryl60 View Post
Sounds as though you are upbeat and on the mend. I hope my recovery is in the near future. chiropractic seems to help more than PT did. I will try to stay in good spirits. have you gone back to your job yet? I did October 1st, I mostly sit and roll around in my chair. at least 8 hours of my day are busy.
keep me posted on your recovery and I'll do the same. Have a good day!!
Hoping to return to work on December 1st. May be a little optimistic but what the hell. MRI is positive for more damage, and now have to contemplate another surgery. Kinda sucks to be me right now.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:06 AM   #13
(female)

sheryl60 HB User

I'm so sorry to hear that you may need future surgery that's terrible! Are you going to continue with therapy? I after 2 months of therapy with no great progress started going to the chiroprator, it's been just two weeks and I am down to one crutch with much better ability to walk. It seems that my foot bones are finally loosining giving me the movement that I need. I highly
reccommend it if therapy doesn't give you the results you want. I am one week shy of 5 months since this injury and I believe I am starting to see the light at the end of this long black tunnel. I plan on changing my entire out look on life and how I live it, being an A type personality and always being so driven is not worth it. I intend to take life a lot easier with less work and more time to enjoy life. One thing I have learnt through this whole ordeal is that life is to short and life can change in an instant and killing yourself everyday to get things done to try to save a few bucks is so not worth it. If I didn't mention it before I fell from a ladder while painting the outside of my house this past summer. It didn't save me a dime, because while I was in the hospital my husband had to hire it out to be finished anyway, so what did I gain? nothing except I lost 5 months of my life so far. It definitly was not worth what it has cost me physically and emotionally, not to mention how it effected my family. When you've been layed up as long as we have you have a lot of time to think about everything you could have been doing or missed during this time and it changes everything. It is my hope that you keep working your foot while you recover from your knee, because you'll recover from your knee injury much faster and you don't want to stop the progress that you've made so far with your foot. I'm sure there are more days of depression coming, but we both will recover. We are fortunate not to have a terminal illness. In saying that no matter how long this takes we still have a lot of life to live and these injuries overtime will become a faded memory, but never a forgotten one. Please stay in touch and up to date with your recovery, surgery or just how you are feeling overall and I will do the same. Hey! I've been wanting to ask you "How about those Boston Redsox winning the world series against your Colorado Rockies!

sheryl60

Last edited by sheryl60; 11-02-2007 at 06:26 AM. Reason: corrected spellings

Old 11-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
(male)

cooperspaw HB User

Hello all,

Well got the bad news and surgery is scheduled for the 27th of this month. Returning to work has been pushed back once again. Diagnosis of the knee is a complex tear of the cartilage. BUMMER!!!, Hopefully a minor set back. Surgeon says should be a quick fix. Hopefully it will be a better Christmas than Thanksgiving is turning out to be!

Closed Thread