It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
(male)

john125 HB User
problems after fusion of the big toes

About 3 or so months ago I had my two big toes fused and although it cured the pain in the original area, I have been getting quite a nasty pain in the smaller top joints of my big toes, I had arthritus in these joints also, I have also had 2 bouts of infection in my left foot.
has anybody else had this type of problem after the op.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: problems after fusion of the big toes

i never had those problems with fusion. hope your dr knows the answer and post with results. debbie g

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 04:30 AM   #3
(male)

john125 HB User

Hi Debbie...my Doc seems to think the pain in the smaller joint in the top of my toes may settle down, if not I will have to have steroid injections but I can have only 3 of these (I did ask him to take the top of my toes off but he did not think to much of this idea). Having done some reaserch on implants, and that is what a plate and pins are, I discovered that the infections that I am getting could come from the implant and I may have to get them out.
It's lucky I live in the UK as the opperations cost nothing here.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

hi john, i have had steroid injections and next month if my toe has fused, i will get all the hardwear out of my toe because it is irritating my toe. i see my dr monday because i had a cat scan done to see if the fusion did work. did your dr take digital x rays and maybe you should go for a cat scan. debbie

Old 09-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
(male)

john125 HB User

Hi Debbie, I had steroid injections before I had the fusion on my two big toes, here in England we do not have the CT scan after the op, although it does sound like the way to go, we do have the digital x-rays though, I only seem to be getting the problems on my left foot, they tell me that there was also a break in the toe, probably caused during the op, I think I will have to have the hardware out, how long ago did you have it done?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
(female)

havingtea HB User

I was just told today that, in addition to a bunionectomy (mod. McBride), I need to have a metarsal cuneform fusion (on first metarsal, bone going to big toe). I am really feeling squeamish about this, but I am tired of my bunion hurting and my big toe going numb after walking around for just an hour or two. I'm 56 years old, and I'm wondering if I can just live with it forever; however, the podiatrist surgeon said this was the cadillac of bunion surgery and would fix the underlying problem that helped cause the bunion. Anyone care to comment, pro or con?? With sincere thanks for your time, Linda

Old 09-14-2007, 03:45 AM   #7
(male)

john125 HB User
Smile Re: problems after fusion of the big toes

My problem was arthritis so I have never had a bunion although I did have the bone shaved at the same time...all I can say is look into all the alternatives before you make up your mind and remember that the surgion does not have your feet on his legs.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

Hey Linda, to be honest I think you can live with bunions all your life.... but people choose not to because of the pain, etc.... Then again, I don't know how much pain you are in. Bunions run in my family, my mom has bigger bunions than me (she's 50) and I chose to have surgery (I'm 18)....(only got the right foot done, severe bunions) My older sister has bunions too they are smaller than my mother and I. Everyone in my fam was against me having surgery too... My uncle was showing me his bunions & was like it doesn't hurt at all... And a lot of my aunts have very big bunions. And they "supposedly say" they do not bother them. The thing I do not like about bunion surgery is that it seems like the recovery period is shorter than it really is. It's really frustrating too. Do you use orthotics or something to ease the pain? This decision can be hard because the outcome is not always positive. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi john. my toe was fused nov 2006. ialso have arthtis in the toe. i cant wait until the hardware is removed if it has indeed fused. the only way the dr can tell if it fused is by a cat scan. nothing else will show it. linda, the only reason i had bunion surgery was because i was in so much pain. my bunion never stuck out so it was not a cosmetic reason at all. i am 51 now and this was done 3 years ago. my 1st bunion surgery was done 15 years ago and yhat one never stuck out. that foot is perfectly fine. the last bunionectomy did not work and i wound up having my toe fused. ask yourself how much pain you are in and is it limiting your active and regular life.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
(male)

john125 HB User

Hi Debbie...do you still have pain in your toe when you walk?...
My big disappointment is that I can't get my feet into a great pair of cowboy boots I got in Texas in May!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-15-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john125 View Post
Hi Debbie...do you still have pain in your toe when you walk?...
My big disappointment is that I can't get my feet into a great pair of cowboy boots I got in Texas in May!!!!!!!!!
oh john, yes i still have in my toe and the bottom of my foot. i cannot tell you the dissapointment i have regarding shoes. not only do i have cowboy boots, but beautiful fashion boots. i am a shoe nut and i cant wear most of them. i gave some away, but i cant do the rest yet. i keep hoping that 1 day i will fit into them even though i know its not true. do you have a lot of pain?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:56 AM   #12
(male)

john125 HB User

Hi Deb...yes I get quite a lot of pain in the top joints of the big toes but I am getting a pair of shoes adapted so I dont have the toe flex when I walk...I am so disapointed about the cowboy boots...a ten hour flight to Texas from the UK and the boots don't fit!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi Deb...yes I get quite a lot of pain in the top joints of the big toes but I am getting a pair of shoes adapted so I dont have the toe flex when I walk...I am so disapointed about the cowboy boots...a ten hour flight to Texas from the UK and the boots don't fit!!!!!!!!!
hi john, what kind of shoes will be adapted and how is that done. i hope you didnt go to texas just for the boots!

Old 09-16-2007, 02:20 PM   #14
(male)

john125 HB User

These are just ordinary shoes and they seem to take them apart, so I'm told, and put a stiff curved sole inside.
No I went to San Antonio to see the Alamo and then spent a week on a ranch, you can't go to Texas and not get boots...we have family in California and have spent some nice time there but this time I decided on a change. I love the USA and would happily live there if you had a health service similar to ours.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
These are just ordinary shoes and they seem to take them apart, so I'm told, and put a stiff curved sole inside.
No I went to San Antonio to see the Alamo and then spent a week on a ranch, you can't go to Texas and not get boots...we have family in California and have spent some nice time there but this time I decided on a change. I love the USA and would happily live there if you had a health service similar to ours.
who takes them apart? i am curious because that may help me. maybe they can take the boots apart also-just kidding, but it is a thought. my boots are from colorado and i wont let go of them.

Closed Thread