It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ladybuggy02 HB User
evens colunm lengthening

hi its been a while sence i 've posted. my ortho. says i need this evens colunm lengthening on both my feet. i've just had thousands of dollars in orthodics that do nothing but cause worse way worse bone pain ( the poditrist said to wear them 1 hour a day etc.. i went back to my orthopidic dr. he said my feet were ways past what those will do for me the poditrist thought i should try that cork or plug i asked th ortho. he won't even preform that he sayed it is not a good surgery... any way the evens legthening one he said i would need bone graphes from both of my hips thats is such a major surgery has any one had this and had sucess?? the ortho is the best in town but i want to know some one whpo has had this done and been happy not worse, i'm teriffied of being put under for surgery it is my worst fear...any way what i'm doing now is were this little stupid braces i that are velcro for extra support and inserts from the store that don't do any thing but it just seems like i should try something ..most of the time it feels like the tendon on thie inside of my ankle is going to rupture on both feet.. can it really do that?? i also put moist heat on them every night the hotter the better or else sleep is out. ibuprophen does nothing for the pain the dr. is willing to give me something but i don't handle meds well at all so thats out. (for now) i'm going on vacation with my 4 kids this weekend to a theme park the are soo excitted i am but for them but really all i can think of is the pain i'm going to nbe in and what can i do ....any ideas please i don't want to ruin this trip for my family but what do i do it will be 2 days of walking?? whan i go shoping i will go to places with carts soo it helps a little tiny so i can lean on the cart an lift one foot at a time ti relive preasure and i already know evey where i can sit down but when you get in that much pain its like i'm glad i can sit to relive the preasure but it just doesn't take the pain away..
sorry it is such a long post hope fully some one read this and have some ideas for me i've just thought of a walker?? but i don't know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
(female)

skyhighifly HB User
Re: evens colunm lengthening

Theme Parks most often have wheelchairs and motorized carts available to rent. Some you can even put in a reservation ahead of time. That will help get you through the theme park problem. It might be worth the rental fee just to be able to have a good time with the littlest pain possible. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
(female)

sunny77 HB User

Ladybuggy,
I had PTTD and had surgery at the end of May. My surgery involved the Evan's Calcaneal Osteotomy and posterior tibial tendon repair. You're right, they use a bone graft, but in my case, it was from a bone bank, so I did not have to have anything taken from my hip. The graft from the bone bank is really just a small block of calcium...all living tissues/cells have been removed. I saw it when I was in the OR. Eventually your body absorbs the graft and replaces it with your own bone. My dr said the results with the Evans osteotomy are very good; I will never run a marathon or do any extreme sports/activities, but will generally have a good foot.

I was in a splint for 2 weeks, a cast for 4 wks and a walking boot for 4 wks, the first 6 weeks being non weightbearing. Took Percocet regularly for about 3 weeks and then less frequently, as I returned to work. The recovery is long, no doubt about it. But the fact that the pain isn't there, that I supinate, have an arch, and know I'll be able to move on with life has made it all worth it. I've heard that it takes up to a year before you fully have the best results and are fully recovered.

There are a number of other folks on this board who have had this procedure done and I'm sure they will share their experiences as well. You might want to check out a thread that's now closed, called "posterior tibial tendon surgery" and one that's open, called "posterior tibial tendon update". You will get a better idea from more people about the surgery. Also, there is tons of info on the web if you ****** PTTD, Evans Osteotomy, etc.

Hope you have fun at the theme park this weekend! Feel free to post more questions or thoughts about this.
Krista

Old 09-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
(female)

debincalif HB Userdebincalif HB User

Hi there,

I had the same surgery as Krista did (Evans osteotomy - also known as column lengthening and repaired the posterior tibial tendon); mine was in March. I had my left foot done. My right foot has some "issues", but is certainly not ready for surgery. I wear custom-made orthotics to help support that foot to keep the tendon healthy.

My surgeon also used bone bank bone for my surgery, it really is a safe way to go and less traumatic than taking bone from your hip.

After my surgery, I was in a rigid cast for 4 weeks and then a boot for 5 weeks - all non weight bearing. After 9 weeks I began to put weight on the foot, still wearing the boot, and I began physical therapy at 10 weeks post-op. I took pain medication (Lorcet with Phenergan due to nausea) for a little over a month, I think. Then I tapered off and my doctor had me take Feldene for another week or two. Now I take Advil as needed now and then.

I'm almost 6 months out of the surgery and all-in-all my foot is doing well. I'm still going to physical therapy and have not returned to work yet (my job requires me to stand on my feet 8+ hours per day). But soon I'll be done with therapy and back to work.

If you do end up having the surgery, keep in mind that it is painful in the beginning, and it takes a long time to recover. You will need a lot of help, especially in the first few weeks after your surgery. It sounds like both of your feet are bad; in your situation I would think you'd have your worst foot operated on first and then the other one - BUT you should think about waiting at least 9 months to a year in between surgeries. Like Krista said, it takes 9 months to a year before you are at 100%.

Oh, and YES, your tendon CAN rupture... and if that happens, it's bad news! Not only will it require immediate emergency surgery, but they will have to go "fishing" for your tendon, which will have snapped up along the inside of your leg if it's a complete rupture. NOT something that sounds fun! So if you have orthotics of ANY kind, you definitely need to wear them to help take pressure off of that tendon until your surgery.

As Krista said, there is a thread several pages down on here called "Posterior Tibial Tendon Surgery". I started that thread in December before I was ready to go in for my own surgery. There is a LOT of information on there from the very helpful people on this board.

Good luck to you, and feel free to post any questions you may have.
Deb

Old 09-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ladybuggy02 HB User

Thanks for the replies,
skyhighifly ,
i called a scooter store and have on ready for the weekend great idea. its wierd because when some one looks at you, it doesn't look like you should have a prob. because they can't feel the pain in your feet..

sunny77
debincalif
my , ortho said do you want the surgry to work then we do the bone graph from the hip.. he said he could get it from a bone bank but sometimes it does not "take" and that he basically won't do that on me. (i Don't know why) also he told me my feet are past the point of orthdics ( they cause such bad bone pain it is unrelenting) anyway so just behind where my arch goes (or should be) center under my foot then it goes behind and over my ankle up the inside of my leg is were the comstant pain is and feels as though the strain is soo bad it will burst and i remember one of my dr. said it could and sent me home with ortho. anyway maybe i should look into getting a another opinoin and go to a learning school they are the best i've heard?my regular Dr. wrote w perscription out for a scooter but i need to get the referral so i have an app. next week with him to see if i can. the orthpidic dr. is out for the week but the recieption was really bad and said that he does not give the referrals for scooters unless you are extremely disabled. i asked her for some other ideas then and she was just snotty any way its not like i want my feet to hurt. i'm "scamming" some one for a scooter

well the lady renting the scooter for the week was really nice so i'm hopeing it goes well! and i'm able to enjoy it with my kids and not put on a show because of the pain.

Closed Thread