It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
(female)

Clem52 HB User
2 years and toes still not flexible

I had both bunions done by an orthopedic surgeon in the summer of '05. Things have healed well, although I did have to have the plate and screws removed from one foot last month. My question involved flexibility in the big toes after the joint capsule was tightened--they are still quite stiff. I guess I am noticing this lately because I have been taking a weight lifting class, and one exercise is lunges, which requires REALLY bending that joint, and it's getting sore. I had to just stop the exercise last time because it hurt too much. Now both joints seem tender in shoes and when walking.

The doc specifically told me it was OK to do this exercise program, but am I pushing too hard? I didn't do any PT after the initial surgery because they said it wasn't needed, but I walked all over and did all the other things they told me to do. My sister, who also had both done, has almost totally normal flexibility. It restricts the shoes I wear--i can hardly wear even the slightest heel (and I never wear high ones anyway), but it's even harder to find comfortable shoes than it was before surgery! And it was pretty hard then. I at the point where I wonder if it was worth it. And the big toes are starting to turn out again, not too much but I can see it if I compare the X-rays. And I still have quite a bump on the joint, which is part of the problem with getting comfy shoes.

Sheesh. I'm disgusted with the whole thing. I'd be glad to hear others' experiences with healing and flexibility and how things are 2 years out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
(female)

cosmic1 HB User
Re: 2 years and toes still not flexible

I had severe bunions.
One down two years ago and the other one year.
I had the great toe and the second toe on the left and the great toe, second toe and third toe done on the right.
I have flexibility on the toes no problem.
However, I have been stretching them everyday since I was able to do the stretches.
This was my prescription after a brief PT session with the first foot( he taught me to do deep stretches).
I do have an issue with the toes in very high heels.
I have to adjust them into the shoe but then they are fine.
However, I do no ever wear high heels (I just try them on) because I am petrified of having the bunions return.

I had these bunions forever before I had them repaired.
Though my feet are straight now I do have bumps on them yet.
But, nothing even close to the deformities of the past before the surgeries.
I guess I am just a chicken to ask if the bunions are returning!!!!
I could not go through the surgeries again.
I had external fixation and that is BRUTAL.
I just hope for five good years, please.......................
I get the frustration

Old 09-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: 2 years and toes still not flexible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem52 View Post
I had both bunions done by an orthopedic surgeon in the summer of '05. Things have healed well, although I did have to have the plate and screws removed from one foot last month. My question involved flexibility in the big toes after the joint capsule was tightened--they are still quite stiff. I guess I am noticing this lately because I have been taking a weight lifting class, and one exercise is lunges, which requires REALLY bending that joint, and it's getting sore. I had to just stop the exercise last time because it hurt too much. Now both joints seem tender in shoes and when walking.

The doc specifically told me it was OK to do this exercise program, but am I pushing too hard? I didn't do any PT after the initial surgery because they said it wasn't needed, but I walked all over and did all the other things they told me to do. My sister, who also had both done, has almost totally normal flexibility. It restricts the shoes I wear--i can hardly wear even the slightest heel (and I never wear high ones anyway), but it's even harder to find comfortable shoes than it was before surgery! And it was pretty hard then. I at the point where I wonder if it was worth it. And the big toes are starting to turn out again, not too much but I can see it if I compare the X-rays. And I still have quite a bump on the joint, which is part of the problem with getting comfy shoes.

Sheesh. I'm disgusted with the whole thing. I'd be glad to hear others' experiences with healing and flexibility and how things are 2 years out.
i replied to you before, but it didnt work. you should not be having this pain now. lunges should not be bothering you. maybe you should have pt now so arthritis doesnt set in. debbie g

Closed Thread