It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
Does the Keller Method Work?

My surgeon would like to use the Keller Method to correct my extremely crooked big toe. My bunion was actually caused by my ankle arthrodeses last year. My toe is very stiff - no range of motion in any joint. My gait is effected and my pain level has only slightly decreased after my fusion 12 months ago. I am looking forward to my surgery, but I would like to know the satisfaction of other people who have had this procedure. Also, I have had problems managing the pain after previous surgeries and I am fearful it will happen again. I would like to know what kind of pain people have experienced post op and in the 4-6 week recovery.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:03 AM   #2
(female)

Stitcher317 HB User
Re: Does the Keller Method Work?

I am scheduled to have the Keller Procedure whenever I am ready. I just keep putting it off for various reasons. This procedure was recommended by 3 out of 5 Drs so I am comfortable with this decision. I understand the recovery from the Keller is relatively quick and that most of the healing is soft tissue. A friend of mine has had this performed on both feet and recovered very quickly and is doing great. She was back in sneakers within 3 weeks.

One of my concerns with this was the reduction in "push off" power you experience with the Keller Procedure. I am an avid walker. My Dr., however, assures me that he will fit me with specialized orthotics afterwards that will address this issue and I won't have a problem. Your toe will be shorter and more floppy after the surgery. My other option is to have a Hemi implant inserted to replace the joint in my big toe. I decided I do not want to deal with the potential complications.

I'll be eager to hear how you make out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Thank you for the reply. This is good information.
I am also an avid walker, or I was before my fall 7 years ago. I would like to get back to walking at least a couple of miles a day.
I will let you know how things go. I am hoping to have my surgery in early November. I have a sit-down job, so the doctor said I will probably be off for 2 weeks. He did mention I will be the youngest person he has ever performed the Keller on. I am 37. He usually does it on older people who are less active.
Let me know how things turn out for you.
Thanks again!

Old 09-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
(female)

janieab HB User

Hi there and I wanted to give you my experience with the Keller procedure. Look at my posts from the past. I had a Keller procedure 11/05 because of arthritis. I also had my second and 3rd toes fused at that time. The Keller procedure caused a floppy and much shortened big toe as well as difficulty wearing any shoes and made my walk unsteady because of the the floppy issues and push off was affected greatly. This was a problem until I had that toe fused 5/06. They put a graft in because of how much was taken from the Keller. The fusion has worked and I am steady with walking and I have push off power and the plantar issues are improved. I can go barefoot now and I can wear any shoe except heels (I never wore them anyways). I personally would never recommend a Keller procedure and I need to get my other big toe done and it will not be a Keller. I will opt to get it fused.
Research shows that a Keller is good for people that are elderly and does not do too much walking. I was in my mid 40's then. I wouldn't want an elderly patient to have this because it would make them more unsteady.
Best wishes for whatever route you go. Again, look at my posts from the past.
Janie

Old 09-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It is my understanding also that this procedure is for older, less active people.
Have they offered you any other alternative procedures? I would certainly ask. It is my experience that doctors offer what they are comfortable with more often that what is best for the patient. Perhaps you should get a second opinion. In MO, you have lots of options...in St. Louis, you can call the Rams front office and see who they use for foot issues. In KC, there's the Chiefs...and in Columbia, the University's athletic department.

Last edited by Titchou; 09-15-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Closed Thread