It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

monster bunion HB User
12 week post-op lapidus bunionectomy update - I'm only human

I've been posting my two cents here and there about my bunion surgery experience. I just think people should know that I'm not a superwoman or anything. I've been pushing myself to get back to my normal activity, and tried to jog a little last Sunday. The next four days I had these really bad total body tremors and I was sure I had developed a neuromuscular disorder and was going to die a horrible death soon. I even told my husband he should marry again if anything every happened to me. Well, I saw my primary doctor, who calmly told me I was suffering from anxiety and depression. This was hard to hear. She asked me if I was always pessimistic before the surgery. Well, she should try having a cast on for 6 weeks and be miserable for a long period of time. I knew I was sad and frustrated, but I have never been depressed in my life. She gave me a prescription for propranolol which stopped the tremors. I guess I'm the type of person to hold everything in and it took it's toll on my body. So now, I'm slowing down and trying to calm down. Recovery is definitely not happening as fast as I want it to, but I should be thankful I have a new foot that I can walk on. Hope others with this type of surgery are doing well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
(female)

BunionPatient HB User
Re: 12 week post-op lapidus bunionectomy update - I'm only human

Hey Monsterbunion, Thanks for all the replies and help with your posts. And your right, doctors don't tell you that it's going to be an emotional ride because they actually don't experience it, so they probably don't know unless we tell them. I hope you are feeling better fast.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

55steel HB User

Six weeks in a cast is nothing. I don't really get why people get so traumatized about such things. Just my opinion but after something like 20 surgeries I guess nothing much phases me. Doctors don't tell you about the emotional ride because most people don't get that freaked out by it. I think if you're having that kind of problem then there is something else going on.

Last edited by 55steel; 09-14-2007 at 06:11 PM.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

If you don't have something good to say, don't say it. This isn't a freak show.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
(female)

BunioninSF HB User

Depression is quite common in this world, so I wish you wouldn't feel bad about it, if you are experiencing it. Maybe being couped up in the house is causing it.. The other poster didn't really deliver the message well, but whatever.. everyone's got an opinion

Take care and don't be so hard on yourself.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
(female)

zapfamily HB User

Hi Monster Bunion....you have been so busy giving advice to all of us who are behind you in the healing process (your input has been invaluable....I always look for advice from Monster Bunion) ...but it sounds like you need to take some time for yourself to complete the healing process. I, like you, am a very active person with a lot of responsibilities. As I enter my 4th week of nonweightbearing I feel like it will never end - it plays head games on me! This is a major foot surgery that requires a long recuperation period...that is the reason so many doctors do not favor the lapidus procedure, although in the long run it is proven to have great results. Be good to yourself and thanks again for all the positive support these past few weeks.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Thanks for your responses zapfamily, BunionPatient and BunioninSF, it really helps. Zapfamily, only two more weeks and you will be starting to walk, you're almost there! Hope you are all doing well.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

hi monsterbunion, i am so glad you posted this. i am depresses,also. people are just afraid to say it. i am not sleeping well and i know it is tension and anxiety. soon you will feel well again and you have every right to vent, cry, or even not to talk. thank you for posting. debbie g

Old 09-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

I know the time I spent recovering from my ankle fusion and bone infection is probably the darkest period of my life. I was depressed, frustrated, and hopeless.
Helping other people and listening to the problems others were experiencing helped me get out of myself. Monster Bunion, I think you give good advice here and it must make you feel good to be able to impact other's lives in such a positive way.
Now that I am on the other side of the recovery period for that particular sugery, I can honestly say I learned alot. During recovery, we are challenged to learn new ways to survive and thrive. For instance, I learned that I needed to ask my husband for specific help instead of assuming he knew what I needed. I also learned that a huge portion of my identity came from my career. During my three months off, I spent time reconnecting with friends and reading books to my child.
I believe many if not most of us experience depression to some degree when faced with a recovery that takes us out of our normal daily lives for any kind of time. It is good that we have each other on boards like this to remind us of some of the things that help us turn our attention to positive things. Our surgeons are not trained to help us in this area, nor do they truly understand unless they have been through it. I am extremely grateful there are others here who can relate to my fears and my thoughts.
Best of luck to you. As someone else here has said, you are nearing the next step of walking soon. That is exciting!
Keep posting!!

Old 09-16-2007, 11:54 PM   #10
(female)

BunioninSF HB User

I noticed you said something about pushing yourself to being active.. Maybe putting these expectations on yourself and when it doesn't work out, you get down. The point is why...Why put these expectations on yourself.. You do the best you can and that is good enough. I would try walking instead of jogging though.. I also recommend taking it day by day.

I remember when I was unemployed for a while. My company moved my dept. to NYC and I didn't want to move. All of a sudden my schedule was changed and I had no schedule or routine. I made sure to create a new schedule for this time period. I would set goals at night to accomplish for the next day. The next day, I would work down that list. With these little things I did, I felt like I accomplished something for the day. It made me take some sort of action/activity each day. (ie) I'm going to the grocery store to do xxx, or I'm to draw 4 portraits from a mag. )
Taking action is key to getting out of the anxiety funk. If you get in that funk, get up and take a walk if you can.. Go to Starbucks and grab a coffee. Get out of your house if you can.
These minor actions will propel you through the day. I also recommend reading the book, "The Power of Now by Echart Tolle" It's not the best book written about the subject, but it's good for begineers. Basically this book is a reminder that you are most powerful when you keep your thoughts in the present moment. Thinking about the past or the future or how many d*mn months it's taking to recuperate only helps to get you bummed out.
I'm not saying to avoid these feelings, but the book can be a new tool for you to use that might make this period more bearable most of the time.

Be your own best friend and you will make it through this period. Meaning...if your best friend was in this situation, you would only treat her with kindness, compassion, and patience.

Last edited by BunioninSF; 09-17-2007 at 12:15 AM.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Bunioninsf -
That is some of the best advice I have heard for people who are experiencing a recovery of any length of time. It is tough to adjust from being busy busy to being on the couch.
I especially like the plan of having goals or activities written down for the next day. It gives you something to be focused on from the minute you wake up.
I am going to pass your insight on to my friends who need it, including myself.
Step

Old 09-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #12
(female)

BunioninSF HB User
Talking Re: 12 week post-op lapidus bunionectomy update - I'm only human

More explaination about creating a list the night before:
I would say get a journal. Before you go to sleep, write down all the things you want to accomplish the next day that will bring you closer to your goal. If you do this every day, you will propel yourself in a new direction, instead of feeling stagnant.
Society tells us to go. go. go... and when you're not on the go, you feel like life is passing you by.

But this is the time to rejuvenate yourself. Take a deep breath, relax and work on something that is fun, or interesting to you. If you change your thoughts about off time, your experience will change. If you have a bad day, call your best friend for support.
I've had ups and downs when I'm in recovery, but how you perceive it is in your hands. 1 bad thought + 1 bad thought + one bad thought, etc. = depression. By the time you have your 2nd bad thought, try to snap yourself out of it by taking a walk or getting some coffee. Action is key. If you need depression medication, I say do it and don't feel bad about it. Whatever it takes to help you recover. I believe 20% of the US population has had depression, but they are not vocal about it.

I hope this will be helpful to anyone in recovery. I myself haven't done the foot surgery, but I have been through periods where I had to slow down. People who are working are not in a better situation than you.

Last edited by BunioninSF; 09-17-2007 at 03:07 PM.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

hi monsterbun, i have to have another surgery in oct. and i will be laid up again. talk about depression, but i hope this will be the end. post again.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #14
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Thanks BunioninSF, I never thought about planning a goal for the next day.
You are right, at times the negative thoughts just keep on going. I will try to think positive thoughts.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:08 AM   #15
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

Hey monsterbunion, how have you been doing? Has it been easier to get around and do you walk with a limp anymore? I hope things are getting back to normal for you.

Closed Thread