It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
(female)

BunioninSF HB User
Question Cost range of bunion surgery?

I am thinking of getting one foot done. What is the average cost w/out insurance? Someone told me it cost $13,000. I am trying to figure out how much to sock away in my FSA next year. I have been recommended to get the surgery where they break the toe and re-align it..

Old 09-15-2007, 05:02 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

55steel HB User
Re: Cost range of bunion surgery?

This is going to vary greatly depending on where you are in the country and what hospital you use. You really need to ask your doctor. You also must remember that you will have to pay your surgeon, the hospital, the anesthesiologist and maybe a radiologist and pathologist. The hospital fee for having a neuroma removed from my ankle was over $14,000. And that was relatively minor surgery. That didn't include my surgeon's fee, the anesthesiologist or the pathologist that analyzed the neuroma.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

My surgical center's cost was 22,000.
However, I had an external fixation device that was about 9,000 of that total.
One surgery ran almost four hours. I had severe bunions with toe two and toe three included.
The POD's charge was really, really minor for the surgery. He charged about 4500 and received only 1500 from insurance (I found that shocking).

I imagine if an orthopedic person does your surgery they will be paid more than a POD!
The cost of the surgical center will be the largest cost and the other's will appear to be minor in comparison (even the anesthesiologist).
There are follow up visits at the doctor's office with x-rays maybe times two post surgical.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i think you have to have insurance to do this because surgery can wipe you out. do you have any health insurance?

Old 09-15-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I think mine was about $12-$13K. The hospital portion alone was $10,000. That's the part that will really vary because it depends on what your local hospital charges. I paid just over $1,000 out of pocket with insurance.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
(female)

BunioninSF HB User
Talking Re: Cost range of bunion surgery?

I have United Healthcare and I live in , SF CA.. When I asked my podiatrist how much it would cost, she said, "Insurance pays most of it." That didn't answer my question.

I still need to know how much "out-of-pocket" I need to pay. Any money I don't use from an FSA fund is not recoverable, if the money is there for more than 1.5 years.

Thanks for your answers.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:53 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

55steel HB User

If you have insurance, then you need to check with your insurance company. It's not very good insurance if you're planning on having to pay thousands of dollars.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
(female)

MsTammy HB User

You'll have to call United Healthcare and ask about your individual plan. Even those people who also use the same insurance cannot answer becuase it depends on the coverage your employer has opted for. No one can accurately say (or even estimate) without having access to our specific coverage. They only way to truly know is for you to call the 800 number that is likely on the back of your insurance card.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #9
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

Ask your doctor to send in a preauthorization to your insurance. Some insurance companies even require it especially on elective procedures. It will have the right codes on it. Unfortunately, that will only be the surgeons portion. Find out what surgery center/hospital they will use and then call over and find out what codes they would bill. Having the codes when you call the insurance company is the best thing when possible because they can look them up. Remember this is only an estimate and things can change very quickly.

Closed Thread