It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 07:01 AM   #1
(female)

tess50 HB User
Smile Ankle Replacement or Ankle Fusion from Rheumatoid arthritis

Hi I am due to have an ankle replacement in October,and am very nervous about this,i have Rheumatoid arthritis and coped quite well,i take embrel injection once a week,but it hs recently affected my feet so bad,mainly my right foot,the ankle to be precise.I have had ortotics for a while but now i am walking with a limp and found myself leaning over.I have a stick and have found i just cant enjoy life like i do because of the restricted mobility.I hardly go out,and when i do i walk a little way and get so tird.I am just 50 and had this disease for 12 years now,can anyone tell me what the outcome of the surgery is like,as i have been told its not 100percent i will ever walk properly again,so i am debating whether to have the surgery or not.I am sceduled for a Total Ankle replacement.Please give me so advice.This is worrying me very much.

Last edited by tess50; 09-16-2007 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Advice

Old 09-16-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User
Re: Ankle Replacement or Ankle Fusion from Rheumatoid arthritis

Hiya,
I had a TAR 2.5 months ago. It is fantastic! I have no pain (none since 2 weeks post op) was totally non-weightbearing 2 weeks post op (no crutches etc). My ROm is slowly increasing as my achilles stretches I have already about 10 more degrees dorsi-flexion. Today I did a 1.4km sea swim race ( I had to walk 1.4km to the start - 200m on soft sand, it was a slow walk, but I got there). I no longer limp and my walking stick is happily in the cupboard! I couldn't be happier, I got my life back. Obviously no operation has 100% success rate, but my experience has been wonderful. If you have any specific questions or concerns I'll do my best to answer them.

Also I was very similar to you pre-op, except I only had OA in the ankle.

All the best and good luck with your operation!

Kira

[QUOTE=teresa50;3210939]Hi I am due to have an ankle replacement in October,and am very nervous about this,i have Rheumatoid arthritis and coped quite well,i take embrel injection once a week,but it hs recently affected my feet so bad,mainly my right foot,the ankle to be precise.I have had ortotics for a while but now i am walking with a limp and found myself leaning over.I have a stick and have found i just cant enjoy life like i do because of the restricted mobility.I hardly go out,and when i do i walk a little way and get so tird.I am just 50 and had this disease for 12 years now,can anyone tell me what the outcome of the surgery is like,as i have been told its not 100percent i will ever walk properly again,so i am debating whether to have the surgery or not.I am sceduled for a Total Ankle replacement.Please give me so advice.This is worrying me very much.[/QUOTE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
(female)

tess50 HB User

Thanks for the reply so soon,did you walk with a limp before you had surgery and did u have arthritis all over the foot,i am wearing a support now which does help,how long was you unable to walk for without weight bearing and do you honestly say go ahead and have it,iv been waiting 8 months for it on the national health,so i now have a date.Do you still have pain in the foot?

Old 09-16-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User

I found it hard to walk for any distace, stand on my feet for any period of time, I had a limp, was on drugs, had to wear MBT shoes and my ROM had decreased to the point I couldn't get it to 90 degrees. I didn't have arthritis in any other part of my foot, but frequently got pain especially in my big toe. I also was getting a very sore knee, and my other foot was also increasing in pain from the stress and I had some lower back pain.

I began partial weightbearing 3 or 4 days after the op. By a week I was probably 70 % weightbearing while walking around. 2 weeks totally weightbearing. I did not use aids after getting out of my boot at 6 weeks.

I had exercises to do twice each day (took off boot) would have to stand up on both feet and try to bend my knees towards my toes 20 times. I increased ROM to past 90 degrees before I was out of my cast.

All of my pain everywhere is gone now I walk without a limp and with much more ROM (it still has a way to go before it is a totally 'normal' gait, I still lift my foot too early, but due to my achilles which will stretch over time with physio).

I would say that my experience has been fantastic, and if you have a very good surgeon who has done a lot of ankle replacements and good success rates, then I would highly recommend it. If I could go back in time I would only change that I didn't do it a year earlier. If you have doubts I think it would be good to talk to your surgeon again, he may be able to give you the reassurance you need, but remember no surgeon will give 100% success rate for any operation no matter how easy, and there is some risk it might not be everything you are hoping and dreaming of, but if the surgeons percentages are good, then that is the best anyone can give you. Only you can decide whether to go ahead with the operation.

Hope that helps a bit, sorry I can't promise you the world, just talk about my experience.
Kira

Hope that answers your questions.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
(female)

tess50 HB User
Cool Re: Ankle Replacement or Ankle Fusion from Rheumatoid arthritis

Thanks for that nice bit of information,im sure i will go ahead with it as my mobility is awful at this moment just one question how old are you when u had the op i am just 5o dont mean to be rude but gives me idea of age.and how longer it will take to get better i will keep intouch,and let u now when iv had the operation,i have it 15th october.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User

Hiya again,
I am 26, yep I am very young, and very lucky. I got told only fusion, but ended up flying to switzerland with a top surgeon to have it done. On the time it takes to get better, I was quite slow at recovery due to my previous very small ROM, and I had lots of scar tissue from previous operations. What type of implant are you getting?

I started the Hitegra Ankle Replacement post so I won't reply there too.

If you get nervous or have anymore questions, post on the board.

I look forward to hearing how it went!

Kira

Old 12-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
(female)

tess50 HB User
Wink Re: Ankle Replacement or Ankle Fusion from Rheumatoid arthritis

Hi Kira So far so good had the plaster off yesterday and they were happy with the xray the implant is still in position and scar is healing fine,a bit itchy but it was great to bathe it yesterday as it was so dry whilst being in the plastercast for so long.They say thats it too early for the bones to fuse with the implant but its certainly looking good.I now have a Aircast on which i blow up and deflate like you i think.I find it a bit uncomfortable but at least i can take it off for bed.I will go back to see the surgeon 16th january.I also start physio next thursday but do various excercises in the home.I went down the stairs today a bit difficult as they are stone stairs but just go slowly,i am trying.What else do you think i should know Kira?HOW Long was it before your bones bonded with your implant,i will be glad when january is here and new year to know the outcome.But as i said to anyone if this is all fine then i would say if anyone needs a replacement dont be afraid its fine and its the aftercare that is important dont you agree,takecare again tess.Hope you are doing well.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
(female)

tess50 HB User

Hi Kira I forgot to say my operation was Mobility By De Pur part of johnson and johnson very good ankle replacement iv been told.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
(female)

tess50 HB User

Hi Kira and Everyone. Well its Tess 10 weeks after ankle replacement,so far so good,went to see surgeon today very pleased took my aircast off,what a relief.I am at home with slippers on and walking up and down my flat,but little slow and not 100percent but i can walk straight without any limp which feels great.I will continue to have physio twice a week,and just take it easy.If i can walk without less pain and a limp then i can say to anyone,dont suffer anymore have it done if u get the opportunity,if i had to have my left ankle done later through the arthritis,i will never be afraid,operation is fine but i did have general anithestic,but just a bit of pain 2 days after,but was easily controlled with Morphone pump.I just need a nice holiday now in the sun,and drive.I can travel next month and was told if i feel safe i can drive,so i will give it a try next week.I hope you Kira are getting better and have a good new year.I must say before my operation,i read so much on the internet about the replacement and it did help me through the beginning and the end.I say to myself Welldone,im 50 and i now want to start to live again.Talking to people and making friends as well is great,especially learning about your problems,i am so gratefull i joined.Bye for now Tess.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:49 AM   #10
(female)

happyfoot17 HB User

Hi Tess!!

Happy to hear everything is going really well! How fantastic!! Please keep us updated on all your progress and enjoy the new leg and the holiday!!

I started the new year well, over christmas I cycled across cambodia with my 5 and a half month post op ankle. It helf up fantastically and I did just over 500km. I just can't believe how amazing it is. I totally agree the operation is well worth having!

I look forward to hearing about all your new adventures!

All the best
and have a great 2008!
kira

Old 01-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #11
(female)

Mariannb524 HB User

[QUOTE=happyfoot7;3211682]Hiya again,
I am 26, yep I am very young, and very lucky. I got told only fusion, but ended up flying to switzerland with a top surgeon to have it done. On the time it takes to get better, I was quite slow at recovery due to my previous very small ROM, and I had lots of scar tissue from previous operations. What type of implant are you getting?

I started the Hitegra Ankle Replacement post so I won't reply there too.

If you get nervous or have anymore questions, post on the board.

I look forward to hearing how it went!

Kira [/QUOTE]

im 21 and my doctor told me I need ankle fusion because my ankle was detroyed so bad and now its collapsing but is ankle replacement better what do you think

Old 01-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #12
(female)

happyfoot17 HB User

Hi Mariann

What type of fusion is being suggested? is it the Tibia & Talus or the sub talar joint? or both, or another. When you say your foot has been destroyed, in what way? I mean did you literally smash it all to pieces or was it arthritis that destroyed it. You can only get an ankle replacement for the tibia-talaus joint and not the sub-talar. If you need both you can look at fusion the sub-talar and replacing the tt joint to preserve some movement.

Is your bone all still alive?

I can't really give any advice until I know a bit more about the current state of your ankle

Old 02-11-2008, 03:58 AM   #13
(female)

tess50 HB User

[QUOTE=happyfoot17;3403752]Hi Tess!!

Happy to hear everything is going really well! How fantastic!! Please keep us updated on all your progress and enjoy the new leg and the holiday!!

I started the new year well, over christmas I cycled across cambodia with my 5 and a half month post op ankle. It helf up fantastically and I did just over 500km. I just can't believe how amazing it is. I totally agree the operation is well worth having!

I look forward to hearing about all your new adventures!

All the best
and have a great 2008!
kira[/QUOTE]

Old 05-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
(female)

tess50 HB User

Hi to you all.Its 6 months now since i had my ankle replacement,i had a Mobility DePuy model they call it,fantastic,and today the surgeon says its all mended and going well.Even bone has started to grow again in the implant which i am so pleased about.I have lost the limp and i walk straight not like before.I was walking last year like an old lady all crouched over,so depressed as i am only 50.infact 51 next week.I have got back the quality of life and i can enjoy things now.I even dance now take iteasy but i must thank the surgeon at the hospital without him,i would be ina wheelchair maybe.I was young to have this operation but i had very bad rheumatoid arthritis in my ankle.This was the best option.Pain is a terrible thing and i was in so much pain for a long while,and i am an independant lady and it was killing me not being able to do things i love.Its a long road for the recovery process but its worth it,if i get another 10 good years from walking great i am happy.I joined this group before i had the operation and it helped me come to terms with what i will expect.I have met some nice people and thanks.My stick is in the cupboard and i hope will stay there for a while to come.Life is good for me.Tess.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #15
(female)

tess50 HB User

A excercise bike is a must after the operation to get your legs and ankles moving again,but check with surgeon and phsyio first.Also try to loose weight because extra load is not good for the new ankle.Please dont suffer anymore with pain,there is help out there i know....

Closed Thread