It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
(male)

jersey2007 HB User
Plantar Fat Pad Atrophy ?

First of all Iím a 61 years old male. Iím 6í4Ē tall and weigh 210 lbs. Iíve always been very active and athletic, walking three or four times a week for a distance of about four miles each day. I normally walked at an 11 to 12 minute mile pace. I bowled Professional Senior events throughout the NW. I also walked while playing golf two or three times a week. I used to have normal feet except for high arches and having once gone through a bout with Planter Fasciatis back in 1995-96. Then nearly 21 months ago (January 2006), while walking bare foot on the beach in Maui, I sensed some rather sharp tingling sensations/pain in the central metatarsal area of my left foot. The pain was such that I turned around at that point (having already walked about a mile) and returned to my condo.

After returning to the mainland my pain continued to worsen. After a couple of months, I visited the best orthopedic foot surgeon in my area, who took x-rays and such and basically was told to see an Orthotist to provide me with custom orthotics to help relieve pain derived from a Mortonís Neuroma. The Dr. also recommended stretching my calf muscles and Achilles tendons. At this point, my right foot is beginning to exhibit similar sensations of my left, so I had the Orthotist provide a matched pair of orthotics to hopefully keep my right foot from getting as bad as my left. Both of these orthotics had a Metatarsal pad to help relive this so-call neuroma pain.

Not getting any better after a few more months, I decided to see a Podiatrist and get another opinion. He seemed to think I also had a Mortonís Neuroma in my left foot. He also noticed the forth toe on my left foot was starting to form into a ďhammer toeĒ. He also mentioned the possibility that the padding on the bottom of my feet may be ďthinningĒ. In the end, all he recommended was for some thicker cushioning for my shoes.

Anyway another four or five months go by and Iím getting worse to the point that I canít even take a shower without wearing a pair of flip-flops. I no longer can walk and carry my bag while playing golf. Exercise walking is now out of the question on hard surfaces. Iíve now also totally given up recreational and tournament bowling.

So at this point I decide to see another Podiatrist after researching to find the best Pod in my area (Portland, OR). All he basically recommends is to replace my custom orthotics with a pair of ďSuperfeetĒ brand arch supports and buy some New Balance walking shoes with a really large toe-box area. He says Iím experiencing plantar fat pad atrophy.

Iíve researched the Internet endlessly and not really found much related information. However, I did run across a company in Canada thatís conducting testing of a procedure that restores thinning plantar fat pads by injecting a gel-like material directly into the fat pads.

I also understand there have been several Podiatrists that have used similar injection procedures over the last several years.

So here I am, nearly another year later and seemingly getting worse on a daily basis with no help in sight. Iím getting more out of shape all the time. Iím getting really depressed. I just donít know where to turn.

Iíve personally always taken a very aggressive and proactive approach to any ailment or physical problem Iíve ever experienced. Now it seems there is nothing I can do. What's to become of me?

Is there anyone else out there that is going through this misery?

Is there anyone out there who can help me?

I just canít give up !

Thinks for Listening,
Jack

The Following User Says Thank You to jersey2007 For This Useful Post:
maperkins (02-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2007, 06:04 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Plantar Fat Pad Atrophy ?

From your post, I'm not sure which is causing more issues - the fat pad atrophy or the neuroma. But I'll give you the same advice no matter which it is. Call the Trailblazers front office and ask who they use for foot problems. Go to him/her for another opinion. Or call the Seahawks and find out who they use if you'd rather go to Seatle. I had a neurectomy and it worked out great...used a doc a lot of pro atheletes use. As for the fat pad, they are doing some injections now but since I haven't needed that I have not researched it...saw a segment on TV about it though.

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
(male)

jersey2007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
From your post, I'm not sure which is causing more issues - the fat pad atrophy or the neuroma. But I'll give you the same advice no matter which it is. Call the Trailblazers front office and ask who they use for foot problems. Go to him/her for another opinion. Or call the Seahawks and find out who they use if you'd rather go to Seatle. I had a neurectomy and it worked out great...used a doc a lot of pro atheletes use. As for the fat pad, they are doing some injections now but since I haven't needed that I have not researched it...saw a segment on TV about it though.

Good luck!
Titchou,

Thanks for your reply...

Actually "The best orthopedic foot surgeon in my area" that I refered to in my post WAS with the same Dr who takes care of the Trailblazers.

Do you have any links to the injection procedure you referred to?

Old 09-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No, the doc I know that I got the info from no longer has a website.

I am familiar with a lot of foot issues as a result of my own foot issues (jogger, female who wears heels - lots of foot issues!)

Last edited by Administrator; 11-15-2007 at 08:33 PM. Reason: stay on the health topic.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
(female)

WALKERDW HB User

I have had fat pad atrophy under the balls and heels of both feet for several years and found significant relief with ZCoils and even more with MBT trainers. Even though the MBT Trainers allow me to walk quite a few hours without pain, I'm interested in knowing more about the injections that were mentioned.

Does anyone know what was being injected? I got an advertisement from a podiatrist that mentioned injections of Botox. I searched on the Internet and found side effects of of Botox injections could be pain. Just what I need!

Diane

Old 10-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
(male)

jersey2007 HB User

Hi Diane,

Thanks so much for you reply...

Could you possibly tell us more of your experience with plantar fat pad atrophy? How long you've been suffering, how fast it has progressed, etc.

Diane, it seem so rare that someone actually responds with this same problem. I really apprieciate your sugestions.

Jack

Last edited by moderator2; 10-08-2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: posted commercial websites

Old 10-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
(female)

kathysmith747 HB User

Hello Jack, I have severe atrophy of the plantar fat pads. I have been to podiatrist from NY to CA. I am never going to give up. Hang in there. Read June 22 2007 issue of Podiatry Today. I am constantly researching this problem. I am in a wheelchair now most of the time determined to walk again.
Will let you know when I have more info. I know the canadian company, perhaps we can be in a clinical study. Kathy

Last edited by moderator2; 10-10-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: please do not use quote reply - use quick reply instead so you don't clog the thread with quotes

Old 10-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
(male)

jersey2007 HB User

Hi Kathy, thanks for you reply. Have you ran across some of these Pods who do injection procedures using Restylane, Sculptra, etc?. I believe there is a Dr. Ed Chairman in PA. and a Dr Suzanne Levine in N.Y. who do this type of procedure.

Kathy, could you possibly tell us more of your experience with plantar fat pad atrophy? How long you've been suffering, how fast it has progressed, etc.

LOL...I already left my name with that Canadian company about being included in their clinical testing. You might give them a call too.

Jack

Last edited by jersey2007; 10-16-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
(male)

jersey2007 HB User

Kathy,

I see you live in LaJolla, CA. Beautiful area ; I've been your area several times to play golf. Torry Pines, DelMar Country Club, etc.

Do you know anything of a Dr. Kiper and his "Silicone Dynamic Orthotic"?

Dr. Kiper also lives in LaJolla.

Jack

Old 10-19-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
(female)

kathysmith747 HB User
Smile Re: Plantar Fat Pad Atrophy ?

Hello Jack and everyone with foot problems,
I am 46 and out of my wheelchair. Had a knee injury which has healed.
My foot problems are related to very bad genes. I have severe
structural problems leading to atrophy of the plantar fat pads and idiopathic neuropathy.
I have not tried the orthotics made by Dr. Kiper. I have tried many
custom made orthotics as well as over the counter ones. They do
help. As far as I know there is no injectable which works but I keep researching.
My feet "burn" intensely. The metatarsal heads feel like pebbles glued to the
bottom of my feet. Hope you were able to find the research I mentioned. I will keep researching all the time because I am acutely aware this just gets worse and will never get better on its own, so it is up to me to figure out what to do. I do have z coil shoes and MBT but like diabetic shoes to get all the orthotics etc in them. Wish I had some great new research which would help us all, but I will do diligent researching. Take care

Old 10-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
(male)

jersey2007 HB User

Hi Kathy,

It’s good to hear you’re feeling better. I believe that the Crosley family high arches have contributed greatly to my fat pad atrophy. Clearly bad genes as well, I guess. Kind of like walking on two tripods. I wish I had flat feet.

Do you have anything good to say in regards to Dr Chairman or Dr Levine and their injection procedures?

I wonder how these feet look and feel after a few months?

Kathy, let me know if Dr Kiper’s orthotic is worthy of consideration. If you would, tell me more about the ZCoils and MBT’s. Hang in there Kathy, I really believe we’ll find some help soon.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-15-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:59 AM   #12
(female)

kathysmith747 HB User

Hi Jack,
My problems all come from very bad genetics. I have so little fat, that I now have pressure points where my skin breaks down. Serious problem.

I have seen some to the nations top
podiatrists and they have said that if they thought injecting fat would work they would do it. It is my understanding the fat leaves and or can make lumps. My problems are too severe for Dr. Levine, I believe. Regarding Dr. Kiper orthotics, I think any orthotics is worth trying. I have Zcoil and MBT. I like earth shoes the best because they take of the pressure in the front.

deleted

Thanks and take care. Kathy

Last edited by Administrator; 11-15-2007 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Do not ask for websites

Closed Thread