It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
(male)

lsg1 HB User
Fracture heel spur and torn plantar facia

I have had pain in my heel for at least a year. I finally went to the Dr.(a podiatrist), who told me originally I had plantar fasciitis. Upon taking an xray, she saw that I had a heel spur and it was fractured. I took an MRI and from the MRI, it said it was indeed a stress fracture to the heel and also a tear to the plantar facia.
Her treatment was non bearing weight for 6-8 weeks.

I went for a second opinion to an orthopedist, who basically said the same thing....keep off of it as much as possible. I told him that it is very difficult for me to get around in crutches all the time, and he gave me an aircast boot. It is much easier to manage with the boot.

Has anyone had this, and did it heal using the boot with medium weight bearing using crutches and a boot?

Thanks

Old 09-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
(female)

BunionPatient HB User
Re: Fracture heel spur and torn plantar facia

Hey when you asked for a 2nd opinion did you tell the doctor what your 1st doctor recommended before/after he came up with the same conclusion? I haven't experience this but if two docs come up with the same thing, you should probably listen. I think your foot needs some time to heal if its fractured too and a stress fracture means you are using your foot more than it can handle....the boot should definitely help because it protects your foot while you get to walk...GET WELL SOON

Last edited by BunionPatient; 09-17-2007 at 10:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2007, 04:52 AM   #3
(male)

lsg1 HB User
Re: Fracture heel spur and torn plantar facia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunionPatient View Post
Hey when you asked for a 2nd opinion did you tell the doctor what your 1st doctor recommended before/after he came up with the same conclusion? I haven't experience this but if two docs come up with the same thing, you should probably listen. I think your foot needs some time to heal if its fractured too and a stress fracture means you are using your foot more than it can handle....the boot should definitely help because it protects your foot while you get to walk...GET WELL SOON
When I went for the 2nd opinion, I did not say a thing. I just showed him the MRI report, and let him examine my foot. His recommendation was the same, which makes me feel better. I know I have to stay off of it, but it is very difficult to just be swinging around in crutches all day. With the boot, I can put minimal pressure on it using crutches, but at least I can be on both feet. I was just asking if anyone else had used this method to repair a fractured heel spur.
Thanks for your well wishes.

Closed Thread