It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

Hamsty HB User
Shoes for swollen foot

Hi there, I had an op for my broken heel back in April and now I am in the stage that I am walking without my cast. Since then, my foot is so swollen that I can only fit into shoes like cloggs or mules or flip-flop. Does anyone know any orthopedic brand I can consider? I looked at the healthboard some months ago and vagulely remember someone suggested Merrell. I tried to look for a Merrell mule (as my ankle is very swollen it cannot fit into a trainner) but they don't seem to do my size (3). Any other brand name suggestion is highly appreciated.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Shoes for swollen foot

there is also dansko and others that i cant remember. try to find an orthopedic foot store or look on line to get the names. hopefuuly there is a store for you to try them on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

happyfoot7 HB User

Birkenstocks are good

Old 09-20-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User

Hampsty

After having an ankle fusion several years ago, the only shoes I can wear are orthopedic shoes. Casts were made of both my feet and the shoes were hand-made in NY. My insurance wouldn't pay the cost because I am not diabetic?? I really didn't understand why that would matter or not.

I hope you'll be able to find some comfortable shoes.
Music

Old 09-21-2007, 04:55 AM   #5
(female)

walkabout HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by music47 View Post
Hampsty

After having an ankle fusion several years ago, the only shoes I can wear are orthopedic shoes. Casts were made of both my feet and the shoes were hand-made in NY. My insurance wouldn't pay the cost because I am not diabetic?? I really didn't understand why that would matter or not.

I hope you'll be able to find some comfortable shoes.
Music
Hi Music,
Was your orthopedic shoes made with a rocker bottom? How is your ankle today? I am almost 6 months out from an ankle fusion!

Old 09-21-2007, 05:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User

Hi Walk

The orthopedic shoes don't have a rocker bottom. I had an ankle fusion in October 2004 and I am still in pain I don't want to discourage you but I take pain meds every day. The orthopedic shoes help me walk better with less pain. Take care.

Music

Last edited by music47; 09-24-2007 at 08:59 PM.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
(female)

Hamsty HB User

Hi everybody, thanks very much for the brand names and tips. I'll do my search see if I can find a pair of cloggs or something (At the moment anything touches my ankle and around the heel is very painful). Music, did the doc tell you why you still have pain even you had your fusion back in Oct 2004? Is it something to do with your subtalar joint? My foot aches every single second and I am thinking it is partly to do with the swelling and maybe partly to do with my joint (my op for broken heel bone was back in May this year)...

Old 09-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User

Hamsty

The doctor said that I have developed severe arthritis in the ankle plus I have a lot of pain from the two metal pins. Stay in touch.

Sincerely
Mus

Old 09-26-2007, 03:30 AM   #9
(female)

Hamsty HB User

Hi Music,

I am sorry to hear that. Are you coping ok daily? Are the pins rubbing somewhere inside your foot to cause pain? I aim to go swimming daily before work to get my foot working as normal as pos again but couldn't make it today as I didn't sleep much last night due to the burning sensation in the foot. I have 6 pins in my heel bone but I really am hoping it is still early days (5 months post op) and the pain is primarily cause by the swelling...

Old 10-17-2007, 09:44 PM   #10
(male)

jk4507 HB User

Hi HAMSTY!!

I got kicked out of HB.com (3 months ago) for violating the rule for providing personal info to you. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW: The month after I had my boot removed, I could not find any athletic or regular shoes that were comfortable. That all changed a year later. Amazing. It will happen to you.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

go for wide new balance gym shoes and then try for munroe shoes. i sstill thin merrils are best at this time.

Closed Thread