It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 11:17 PM   #1
(female)

pandorozbx HB User
need doctor in Los Angeles for Neuroma surgery

Can anyone tell me if they know of a good surgeon for Morton's neuroma surgery. I live in Valencia, CA...Los Angeles county and I need a good doc to do this surgery, can you recommend anyone.

thanks
Deb

Old 09-21-2007, 04:48 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: need doctor in Los Angeles for Neuroma surgery

Call the Lakers front office and see who they are using now. Used to be the chairman of podiatry at UCLA but not sure about now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
(female)

Calrunner HB User

Dr. Giza with the Santa Monica Orthopaedic Group is an excellent OS, especially if you're an athlete.

You might also check out the folks at Kerlan Jobe.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:46 AM   #4
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User

I have had several foot surgeries for Morton's neuroma. I do not live in Los Angeles, but felt I just had to write you. (I am not a doctor, but a patient who can tell you what I have been through and have heard similar from other neuroma patients). I strongly advise against neuroma surgery. I cannot say this strongly enough. Once a nerve is cut it can (and usually does) grow back - and then you get even more neuromas. This happened to me. I admit I had multiple neuroma surgeries intially so my situation is surely the worst one can be - just one surgery is not as severe but I still say stay away from it. Your toe will feel tight and numb. If it's the right foot - which you use to drive - or if you have a clutch/standard car stay away from the surgery. I can't drive anymore due to what has happened to me. The first five years after the surgery were great - but then as scar tissue grew in and more neuromas arose and I am a mess. I can't walk more than 1/8 mile and I can't keep my shoes on more than a few minutes w/o cramping etc. I know others in my situation. My doctors told me they rarely do this surgery now. Try orthotics, physical therapy, massage and foot exercises first. I wish someone had told me that. Massage and PT can release soft tissue problems in the foot that sometimes make the neuroma seem worse than it is. If you have surgery, it also affects the circulation in the foot. Your foot will never be the same or feel the same - in the long run. Wait for better surgical techniques in the future. I hope this helps some.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-25-2007 at 04:23 AM.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
(female)

Calrunner HB User

I have to disagree with anotherPatty. I had neuroma surgery 20 years ago, and although I occassionally have some discomfort, I found immediate relief from the excrutiating pain I had when the neuroma was still in my foot. For the record, I run in 100 mile races and play soccer, and the surgery saved my athletic career.

We're all an experiment of one, so each person's experience will be different. For me, neuroma surgery was the right choice.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I agree. I had mine done about 6 years ago. All is well! I don't run 100 mile races but do 5Ks and have no issues.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:57 AM   #7
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User

I have another idea. Perhaps do a search for Morton's Neuroma on this board, and also ****** it - put in all kinds of things including Morton's Neuroma complications, etc. on ******. This will give you a broader range of opinions. I do think if it's just one interspace most people deal with it ok - but I still would not do even that. Another idea is talk to physical therapists who have treated those with neuroma surgeries (treated them years after the surgery when things might show up again - ie. stump neuromas etc). If you are lucky and only need that one surgery in your life you will probably be ok - but if it comes back the 2nd surgeries are not as successful and often leave one with hammertoes - which happened to me. My feet were literally destroyed by neuroma surgery. I am not blaming my dr.- he was very good - it's just the way it can be with multiple/2nd surgeries. I used to walk 5-10 miles a day - now like I said I am lucky to make it 1/8 mile. The first 5 years after the surgery I was excellent and told everyone how great the surgeries were - but then when the neuomas came back and the scar tissue grew in - it all changed for the worse. Also, my physical therapist now uses a special kind of orthotic for those with neuromas - the inventor of it feels if you catch them in the early stage these can significantly help them - I can tell you more about it if you wanted more info. I can't wear them because my situation is severe but those with 1 neuroma or in the early stage can usually. I wish neuromas could be gotten out via a laparoscopy - like many other surgeries. Oh - don't just do a ligament release - that can cause a lot of problems they are finding out - did more me as I first tried that. Anyways...wanted to pass this info. along The surgery from the top of the foot is very easy to deal with post-op - but I still vote for no surgery. Just my opinion - but I'm an experienced neuroma patient. I actually need another surgery but under the foot - once you get them if they come back you end up in these endless surgeries - a big mess. You'll probably see my posting about questions on under the foot - I've been advised against it by many dr's - so I have to decide what to do. All I can think is wish I never had the surgery and how great my feet felt in comparison to this.

Closed Thread