It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
(male)

bradlm5 HB User
Fractured Tibial Sesamoid

I fractured that little bone 6 weeks ago playing soccer....I still am unable to run or jump. For the first month after the break, I tried to practice soccer to make a comeback, I'd push off on the bad foot and feel a slightly painful pop, almost like a dislocation? I think its the tendon slipping or the broken sessamoid making contact with joint of the bones in my big toe? I taking it real easy now and wearing a walking boot ($100). What are my options here...I really want to get back to playing soccer? I'm reading that I could have it removed (may cause hammertoe?), Have the sessamoid reshaped so it does not make contact with other bones in my foot?...or leave it alone a try to live with it? What do you think I should do...your all scaring me...and so is all the medical literature I'm reading about this problem. MB

Old 09-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
(female)

CTmom HB User
Re: Fractured Tibial Sesamoid

I'm in almost the same situation. About a month ago I developed severe pain in the ball of my foot. It seemed to come on overnight and I don't remember injuring it, but the ball of my foot was red, swollen and extremely painful. I was diagnosed with sesamoiditis and put in a walking boot for several weeks. I just saw my podiatrist on Friday and he gave me a cortisone shot but we are both doubtful it will help because the inflammation seems to be basically gone but there is a hard bump (like bone) on the ball of my foot. My x-rays didn't show a fracture but he said it's likely to be the cause. I can't put on a shoe or sneaker or bear any weight on the foot without the boot on. Unfortunately, a month of rest hasn't helped and I'm tired of living like this. He has recommended surgery to remove the tibial sesamoid. I'm having a hard time finding info on this surgery and quite a bit of what I have read has been negative which is scary. On the other hand, I really want to get my life back - not looking to run any marathons or wear high heels.

He wants to give the cortisone another three weeks and check me again and then refer me to a surgeon. I'll let you know what he says - I have tons of questions about the surgery. Let me know how things work out for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
(female)

rkd HB User

I've just had the surgery after a year of pain. Mine came on overnight too! And I did also have a big hard lump on the ball of my foot. It actually was feeling a bit better before the surgery but apparently it hadn't healed at all, I guess the inflammation just went down a bit. I think you REALLY REALLY have to rest it, but increase the blood flow to that area - buy a TENS machine to stimulate the blood flow. I wasn't diagnosed for 6 months (but I live in the UK and the health system is absolutely diabolical here so that is why) but if you've just broken it you have much more chance of it healing I believe. I'll post on here after I've given my foot time to recover from the operation. I wouldn't recommend surgery for anybody though unless like me you really can't carry on the way you are. I'll never be able to run again or do any high impact sports.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
(female)

Lones123 HB User

I have had a fractured sesamoid in my left foot for three years. I used to play hockey every weekend but had to give it up entirely due to the pain. Its not al bad though. If it doesn't heal at all like mine, you can learn to manage it. You can do pretty much anything you like if you are willing to handle a little pain and recovery time. I don't know if anyone has told you but there is like a 9months recovery period after surgery and then you are told that you can't do heavily pysical sports.

Too be honest with you while you're young (I'm 20) it is just as easy to deal with the pain, embrace it and review the situation when it gets unbearable. I did a 75km tramp accross some pretty rough mountains with my injury and while it hurt I still managed to keep up with the rest. The blisters were just as bad actually hehe

Closed Thread