It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
(male)

mountain14 HB User
Bad ankle

I sprained my ankle really bad in the summer of 05. I sprained it again the following spring on a gym mat. Basically when I do any hiking or running on uneven surfaces now without any kind of support my ankle will swell up slightly and become sore. The other night I was just casually walking through the woods and it rolled over and caused minor swelling and soreness. I have to be really carefull and conscious as to make sure that I don't do anything to roll my ankle. Does anybody have any experience with thi?. I wear an ankle brace but I can not have it on at all times. My goal is to not have my ankle roll again and become worse. I only actually sprained it twice but it has rolled over several time since my initial injury back in 05' and every time that happens it seems to get a little bit weaker. Anyone have any suggestions as to avoid this from happening again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
(female)

skyhighifly HB User
Re: Bad ankle

Seems to be a similar story that many people have. As for not rolling it again, the brace is the simple option. If that is not a lifelong commitment you want to make, you may want to think about seeing an orthopedic surgeon or podiatrist to have the ankle evaluated and the options given to you by a professional. I had ankle surgery 7 weeks ago and although it was for a different reason than instability, the way they gained access was similar to that of a Brostrom and the surgeon was able to do some tightening. Many others on here have has Brostom procedures to reconstruct torn ligaments and improve stability. You should look through and find them. It only takes one sprain to create instability that will not get better. Sad, but true.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User

Mountain
My suggestion would be to go to a good Orthopedic doctor and have it checked out. I broke my ankle three years ago and have had nothing but problems with it and a lot of pain. Xrays would show any problems in your ankle and perhaps surgery would help.
Sincerely Mus

Old 10-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Exercises. For a lot of people, PT and strength training help a lot, but, go to a doctor, get a prescription for it, and get trained in the proper exercises for you and the right way to do them

Closed Thread