It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
(female)

gooliegoo HB User
Calcaneal Osteotomy

Hey Everyone,

I have come here looking for help for my husband and for me. He had a calcaneal osteotomy, tendon transfer and cuboid fusion in April of this year because of acquired flatfoot. He says he feels like his foot has now been over corrected. In other words instead of walking on the inside of his foot he feels like he is walking way too far on the outside. Does anyone who has had these procedures feel like this too? Secondly, his big toe no longer touches the floor when he stand without shoes on. That doesn't seem normal. Lastly, he now has ankle pain that he never had before surgery. He says it feels like something is stuck in there and won't allow him to flex his foot.

Any info that can be provided will be greatly appreciated. He is still walking with a cane and still in pain in his ankle and is becoming increasingly frustrated.

Thanks!

Old 09-25-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
(female)

sunny77 HB User
Re: Calcaneal Osteotomy

Hi there,
I had an Evans osteotomy and posterior tibial tendon repair at the end of May, so am 17 weeks post-op now. My last PT session is next week.

What specific osteotomy did your husband have? Was he non-weightbearing for awhile? Do physical therapy once he was partial or full weightbearing?
Has he been in for follow up with the surgeon lately?

After walking for so long flat footed for so long, it felt strange to stand after getting the cast off. It felt like i was "tipped" toward the outside of my foot and my balance was way off. The doctor reassured me that this was to be expected, as they had tightened up my tendon and changed the position of my foot with the bone graft. He said everything would stretch and loosen up over time and that part of it was about building muscle strength to balance things out.

I've been in PT since mid-July and that is what has happened. It took awhile, but now I supinate (walk toward the outside) and pronate, like I'm supposed to! However, I have been reminded time and again to keep my big toe down, as I like to walk with it in the air, preventing the pronation piece. Now that I am doing that regularly, I can walk pretty normally without much of a limp.

Part of PT is breaking up scar tissue, and that could be part of what is causing pain and the feeling of not being able to flex the foot ("stuck"). I had that feeling for a long time and then it finally dissipated, like my PT thought it would. I had pain in another part of my ankle too, but try to remember that this is a whole new foot...learning to walk on it, use it differently, balance, etc is a lot of change!

It sounds like your husband needs to talk with/see his doctor about what is going on and see what his/her opinion is. Many of these are part of the process...and it can definitely be frustrating! Maybe PT would be helpful, if he hasn't already done some. It has been a huge help...no way I would be where I am now without it.

Good luck!
Krista

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
(female)

gooliegoo HB User

Thanks for your reply, Krista. My husband saw his doctor yesterdy and I went with him because he never asks the questions I want answered. He pretty much said what you said. He has a "new" foot and things still need to stretch out and get used to the new position. My husband admits that he thinks he just isn't used to walking correctly so it feels weird. His doctor feels the pain in his ankle is tendonitis and decided to give him a cortizone shot in his ankle since the pain had been bothering him for so long. In the doctor's defense he did prescribe anti-inflammatory medication about 6 weeks ago but they made my husband sick so he stopped taking them. Also, the doctor said there is pretty much no way to "over correct" the ankle unless you completely move the heel to the side of the foot!

He says his ankle is feeling much better after the cortizone shot. Just some very minor pain and he even went to work without his cane this morning. His spirits are good today which is pretty normal but it is obvious that he is much less frustrated.

Thanks again for the response. It helps to know that others have had similar problems, that it is all part of the healing process and that something with his surgery didn't go wrong.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
(female)

debincalif HB Userdebincalif HB User

Hi there,

Glad the doctor was able to set your husband's (and your) mind at ease. I had the Evans osteotomy along with tendon transfer in mid-March. The surgery went well and I'm recovering well, but I also had some problems with other tendons becoming inflamed (namely the peroneus brevis tendon) and had to have a cortisone shot. Keep in mind that most doctors advise that full recovery from this type of surgery is 9 months to a year! And as those of us who have been through it will attest, it is NOT easy learning to walk on a new foot.

Hope your husband is doing much better now!

Deb

Old 09-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
(female)

wtwct HB User

I had a calcaneal osteo ectomy and than an osteotomy. I also had my fibula resectioned so that my ankle fit into my fibula and tibia.

I am having the same problem. I AM walking on the outside of my foot. I am on my third pair of shoes. I only have them two weeks and I blow out the outside of the heel of the shoe. This of course makes it worse. Not to mention that I also blew out the outside on my new orthotic.

I don't even know how to put my big toe down. (I also had a previous triple fusion so I don't have the side to side motion)

I am not sure what to do at this point.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
(male)

bjj player HB User

sunny77

I had surgery to correct my flat right foot about 2 years ago and my foot was also over corrected. I was walking on the outside of my foot and the doctor also told me that this was normal since I had been walking on the inside of my foot for so long. WRONG!!! I had been going to PT for over 3 months and nothing my big toe was not hitting the ground either. I saw a nother doctor and he told me the same I had to get surgery again to fix it.
From my expirence if your toe is not hitting the ground its because its been way over corrected.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
(female)

sunny77 HB User

Bjj Player,
Sorry to hear that you had to go through surgery twice...it's hard enough doing it once! I have to put in some effort to keep my toe down, but I never experienced what you or wtwct did. This surgery is technically difficult so it probably happens more than we know. Is your foot/ankle in good shape now?
Sunny77

Closed Thread