It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
(male)

soredogs07 HB User
2 broken heels - anyone been through this?

Hello all,

Here's the sordid story: I was hiking with my son at the beach on a nice sunny Sunday three weeks ago (9/9/07) and jumped/fell off a 7-8 ft high rock onto wet sand, fracturing both heels. Had Titanium plates & screws installed in both last week.

Funny how things happen, ain't it?

Other than the day this happened and the day after the surgery, I have been in very little pain. The only medication I've needed since the surgery has been an occasional Tylenol. I try to keep my feet elevated as much as possible.

The worst part has been having to sit on my butt 24/7. I am an active person by nature, athletic, sports-minded. I stay in shape, have decent muscle tone, and have always healed well from previous injuries, although I have never had one as serious as this. I have never been a complainer and don't intend to start being one now.

I have a professional degree and I own my own business. Fortunately, my work is done 80-90% at a desk. Much of it is via phone, fax and computer, and I have most of the necessary links from my home office to my regular office so that being in the office on a daily basis isn't required. However, when I am not at the computer, it is necessary for me to meet with clients, and I am required to drive quite a bit. So I do need to get back to the office as quickly as possible.

I also obviously want to get back on my feet and walking as soon as possible. I have an active family and active friends, and want to be able to resume my lifestyle as much as possible within reasonable limits.

So, has anyone out there had two broken heels? Tell me about your experience. What can I expect? What is your status now? How long did it take you to get on your feet? Give me some good news. I would love to hear from someone who went through this and is up and about. Let's hear some success stories!

Thanks and cheers,

soredogs07

Last edited by soredogs07; 09-28-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
(male)

Chadwick121 HB User
Cool I have been through this...

Hello. I thought I would take the time to share my story with you.

In 2003 I fell while bare-foot bush walking. I slipped off the edge of a cliff and fell 3 stories landing bare heels first on granite.

Needless to say, both heels were fractured. I was helicopter rescued by the wonderful people in Tasmania.

It is a life-changing event. The pain is something I will never be able to fully explain, describe, or have anyone understand.

It took a long time to heal, and it slowed me down. Everything happens for a reason, and this accident was the source of much inspiration for me and a real point of reference in my life.

You find out quickly who the most important/special people in your life are.

Do your physiotherapy, walk alot, stretch alot, and don't become obsessed with 'your feet'.

Keeping a positive attitude is the key.

I now enjoy long distance running again, ultimate frisbee, jumping, and yes, even bush-walking (not in barefeet however).

You can recover from this, and enjoy physical activity again.

Wishing you a positive outlook, and the strength to keep it.

Cheers,
Chadwick.

Last edited by Chadwick121; 01-18-2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

The Following User Says Thank You to Chadwick121 For This Useful Post:
lauriebab (06-05-2012)
Old 01-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
(male)

Rick27 HB User
Re: 2 broken heels - anyone been through this?

I have dude.Join the club.................

Old 01-22-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
(male)

Rick27 HB User
Re: 2 broken heels - anyone been through this?

Hang in there .I did the same

Closed Thread