It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

tazzy0429 HB User
Question mid-foot fusion again.. what would you do?

I had a mid-foot fusion oct 06 due to a lis-franc injury April 05. I crushed my foot between the back of a 10,000 lb reach lift and a multilevel pallet shelf. I was not prepared for the pain and was surprised at the overwelming emotions I had after the surgery. I now have a non-union and they want to do the midfoot fusion again using bone stimulators this time. I am still in moderate to severe pain all the time and have trouble sleeping through the night. I get horrible cramps in my calf and foot that wake me up and it is uncomfortable to have anything , even a sheet on my foot. I am at high risk for a blood clot since i got one with my first surgery. My life has changed so much in what I can and can't do and it is like I keep waiting for that to change but it hasn't. My options are limited. I can re-do the surgery...(not a great option in my opinion) I can take it as it is or try and have a ortho insert type shoe crafted to try and help. I was in unbearable pain for about 7 to 8 weeks after the first surgery and got a blood clot. I swelled out of my cast repeatedly even though I was keeping it elevated way more than was even suggested. My life has become mundane and limited compared to what I used to do and I am to young to be like this. I cannot do the things with my youngest child that she had always enjoyed and anticipated with glee and my oldest is getting ready to be out of school and on to college and I feel like I am missing it all I have nerve damage to my foot as well already and now in my hip too since surgery. It was mentally draining and I had a hard time dealing with the surgery before. I didn't even think of that aspect before surgery the first time. I cried all the time and felt like a failure because I am so used to taking care of things and now things are alot different. What do you do when all the options are bad? I am afraid of going through this surgery again only to find out my pain is still the same. It would put my life on hold for another year and I have already lost so much time with my girls. My husband is totally supportive of my choice either way and told me if it was him , no he would not do the surgery again but this is not his choice so I would have to decide what is right for me and either way he would stand by me. I love having him to bounce things off but there is so much I don't know and sometimes a doctor cannot give you a clear picture of things unless he has been through the surgery himself. I was wondering if anyone has had bone stimulation and if it worked the first time? And if you were faced with a repeat of the surgery would you do it?

Last edited by tazzy0429; 10-09-2007 at 02:51 PM. Reason: I really sounded angry and did not really ask anything . I was seriously frustrated as I had just got the news earlier that d

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread