It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
walking worked on a trip to the west coast

i went from chicago to aspen to calif and i did it with not so ugly wide shoes! i didnt even wear merrils or danskos or gym shoes. i wore a wide suede fashion boot with a half inch heel, munroe elastic shoes and slip ons. i made it through the airports and helped my son move into his apartment. i had pain at the end of the day, but i was happy. these are not the shoes i would have preferred, but i had no choice. i just hope the removal of hardwear goes ok. i just wanted to share this news especially with the toe fusions. i am really scared about my next surgery. i am going to las vegas next week before the surgery and i know i will feel bad not wearing heels. please understand i am 5 ft tall and my husband is 6 ft 2. i know i have to do what is right for me, but the depression hits when i wear nice outfits and there are no shoes to wear with them. i know i am vein, but this is a 360 degree for me. thanks for listening and responding. i guess i am still not used to toe fusion. debbie

Old 10-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
(female)

skyhighifly HB User
Re: walking worked on a trip to the west coast

Congratulations! I can totally understand the shoe issue. I had to start a new job wearing tennis shoes with nice clothes. I just look at myself from the knees up in the mirror in the morning and walk out the door. At least that way I know I look nice when, in reality, I look like a complete dork!

Have fun in Las Vegas, my new home.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
(female)

Calrunner HB User

I too am 5' tall, and I'm SO sick of wearing grandma shoes with every outfit. I'm dying to wear heels, but I know that I would undo the surgery I had. So, I do what skyhigh does -- I just look at myself in the mirror, waist up, before I head out the door in my business attire and Ecco grandma shoes. (Literally, I'm borrowing them from my mom!) It's either those, or my cushioned running shoes. I may be a dork, but hopefully I'm avoiding talus surgery #2!!

I'll be in Vegas next weekend, with all my 5'10" friends. I'll be the only short one, and the only one wearing flats!

Last edited by Calrunner; 10-03-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

thanks you guys for that great advice. at least i know i am not the only one! i guess i will have to train my eyes to look upwards in the mirror! that is really great advice. but dont you ever get depressed sometimes and want to kick the mirror in and throw away the grandma shoes? 365 days a year is so hard. debbie

Old 10-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

Well, I have only been stuck in tennis for about 4 weeks now. I have permission to move to other shoes when I feel I can. I do wear flip-flops (good ones) around the hosue and also wore a pair of flats for a couple hours this morning. I teach a 2nd grade Deaf class and the kids are wild with a lot of behavior problems. One stripped naked today. I would rather look like a dork at work than hurt myself because my ankle feels soooooooooooo much better than before. I just keep working on strength so I can get back to wearing all my shoes. Heels will be the last for sure!!

Old 10-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

i know how hard teaching is. the last thing you think about are shoes. what kind of good flip flops do you wear? debbie g

Old 10-04-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I really love my Rainbow sandals, but they are too heavy for me right now and my foot is not strong enough for them. My favorites right now are made by Teva. They have a fairly good arch and the soles mold to your feet a little as you wear them. They are light and have 4 criss cross straps instead of the normal ones making them easy to keep on your feet. The worst part of wearing them was that I realized there were more areas of my foot that did not have full sensation. I've walked DisneyLand for 12 hours prior to surgery in these shoes and my feet never hurt, just my ankle. REI sells them or the Teva website.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:18 AM   #8
(male)

john125 HB User

Hi Deb I'm glad your trip worked out ok...when you say you had pain at the end of the day, how bad was it on a scale of 1 to 10?
My toe fusions have taken a turn for the worst and after a trip to the surgion after my left foot became swollen again, I discovered that the fusion on my left foot had broken, so I am due back in surgery in 4 weeks time for another op, the only thing is he says if there is'nt enough bone to fuse well he is going to have to take some bone from my leg or hip or ankle to bridge the gap, this is not good news to me.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john125 View Post
Hi Deb I'm glad your trip worked out ok...when you say you had pain at the end of the day, how bad was it on a scale of 1 to 10?
My toe fusions have taken a turn for the worst and after a trip to the surgion after my left foot became swollen again, I discovered that the fusion on my left foot had broken, so I am due back in surgery in 4 weeks time for another op, the only thing is he says if there is'nt enough bone to fuse well he is going to have to take some bone from my leg or hip or ankle to bridge the gap, this is not good news to me.
i am so sorry to hear this john. why would it have broken? my pain at the end of the day was about a 3. i hope you asked the dr why this happened and what could prevent it from happening again. i know there is a difference in the medical system from the u s, but i hope your dr knows what he is doing. debbie

Old 10-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhighifly View Post
I really love my Rainbow sandals, but they are too heavy for me right now and my foot is not strong enough for them. My favorites right now are made by Teva. They have a fairly good arch and the soles mold to your feet a little as you wear them. They are light and have 4 criss cross straps instead of the normal ones making them easy to keep on your feet. The worst part of wearing them was that I realized there were more areas of my foot that did not have full sensation. I've walked DisneyLand for 12 hours prior to surgery in these shoes and my feet never hurt, just my ankle. REI sells them or the Teva website.
i dont know anything about rainbow sandals and i know tevas. what do you do when it gets cold outside or you want to get dressed up?

Old 10-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #11
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

Well, since I just had my surgery on August 2 I have not had to worry much about the cold. I also just moved to Las Vegas so it really has not gotten cold yet. I wear my flip-flops in the winter and the rain. My feet just got used to it.

For work, I was wearing all kinds of shoes, heels included. I just tried not to think about how much my ankle was hurting in them. I also wore flats.

Right now, I am either in my flip-flops or tennis shoes. I need to get dress shoe superfeet inserts for my flats. I need the additional support. I think over the next month or so I will be able to get back to at least wearing my flats to work. I did have to go to a very nice evening anniversary party 2 weeks after I got permission to come out of "the boot." I was able to wear a pair of flats with a smaller ankle brace, but I also stayed off my feet most of the evening and eventually put on my tennis shoes with the nice dress. People understood. I looked decent for the pictures :-)

You'll get there. It just takes so much time and patience. I'm not going to push it because of the group of kids I am working with. I would rather look like a dork and be protected than look good and have something happen to my ankle after I put in so much time sitting on my behind.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:20 AM   #12
(male)

john125 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie g View Post
i am so sorry to hear this john. why would it have broken? my pain at the end of the day was about a 3. i hope you asked the dr why this happened and what could prevent it from happening again. i know there is a difference in the medical system from the u s, but i hope your dr knows what he is doing. debbie
It could be the fact that I tend to push off with my left foot when I cycle and it was only after I began cycling again that it started to give pain, thats walking and now cycling I have had to give up, guess I will have to go back to weight training...I wonder if ANY doctor knows exactly what they are doing.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

maybe you started to cycle too soon.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:43 AM   #14
(male)

john125 HB User

Quite possibly...I'm not one for sitting around though...I just hope they don't have to take a piece of bone out of anywhere to bridge the gap

Old 10-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

john, i forgot you said cyclyling, but it still doesnt make any sense.

Closed Thread