It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
(female)

txl HB User
broken pinky toe

how long for a broken pinky toe to heal?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User
Re: broken pinky toe

I believe my worst discomfort was the first week or so.. I'd say about 2-3 weeks though. Did you just fracture it or is it completely broken? I broke mine straight through. I can't remember the full timeline though as it was about 8 years ago. I probably prolonged my healing because I had a camping/rafting/hiking trip 2 days later and I'm too stubborn to sit still!! hehe!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

I've broken both of my pinkie toes (at different times). I couldn't wear a shoe for the longest time without extreme pain. When I did I wore my mother's shoe, which was a size 11 - I'm a size 6. I couldn't stand any pressure on the toes. I don't know how the PP went hiking! My break must have been more serious.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

^lol.. I have a pretty high pain tolerance. I taped the toes together and wore really good boots with lots of toe room! I was in college at the time so if I wasn't in class, the shoes came off to help my foot heal. A lot of foot elevating, a lot of ice.. and ibuprofen got me through it. I had a clean break with the bone (never broke anything before so I freaked out and went to the doc who did an X-ray.. of course now I know that was a waste of money since you basically pay them to tape your toes together..lol!). My toe healed funny though and now it's shorter..

Old 10-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
(male)

dbgoalie HB User

That is the worst thing that you could think, that the only recourse for a broken toe, any toe, is to tape them together and all is fine. Believe me, after 20+ years of pain, 2 surgeries, a third one coming up, there is nothing further from the truth. Maybe in the ER if you go, that's all they have time to do, but I can't suggest strongly enough to go to a Podiatrist or an Orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in potdiatry to see what is going on with your foot. The longer you wait, the worse it will be. What's the worst that could happen, that the trip is a waste of your time? Please do a search on my thread to see what happens when you feel there is nothing that can be done for a broken toe. My life has changed dramatically because of that thought process.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #6
(male)

dbgoalie HB User

By the way, had I gone to a doctor even as late as 10 years after the break, I may have avoided an implant and now a joint fusion. The problem was the longer I waited, the more cartliege in the joint died off, and in the end, it was gone. The longer you wait, the more risk you take. Believe me, you want to avoid any sort of joint implant or fusion because you think there is nothing that can be done to a toe.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
(male)

eric5555 HB User

[QUOTE=dbgoalie;3246745]By the way, had I gone to a doctor even as late as 10 years after the break, I may have avoided an implant and now a joint fusion. The problem was the longer I waited, the more cartliege in the joint died off, and in the end, it was gone. The longer you wait, the more risk you take. Believe me, you want to avoid any sort of joint implant or fusion because you think there is nothing that can be done to a toe.[/QUOTE]

I broke my toe about 4 days ago. Saw my PCP and confirmed it was broken. I can walk but it is very painful at times. I try my best to keep my weight off it and have scheduled an appointment with a Podiatrist. Why did yours get so bad? Was because you were walking on it while it was healing?

Old 10-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
(male)

dbgoalie HB User

Eric, glad to hear that you went to you pcp and are going to follow up with a podiatrist. My problem was that I broke the knuckle of my big toe when I was 15 and being so wise to the world at that time, I felt there was nothing that could be done. It was broke, and 'they' don't do anything for broken toes, so I just went about my way. (This was my own medical opinion, believe me, if I could do it over....) Of course, when you are 15, things feel better pretty quickly, so another 15 years went by and I was walking on the outside of my foot, not bending either joint of the big toe. If you don't bend a joint, eventually the carilege will die off, and the body will then start growing bone over the joint, essentially trying to heal itself by fusing the joint on it's own. Now, 2 surgeries later, with a third coming up to fuse the mtpj joint, I regret the day it happened. Every day, I have been walking with pain and it's really started to get bad lately, and I am only 37 years old. That's why I STRONGLY suggest that you go to a podiatrist, you get a look at your x-rays, and if things just don't feel right to you, get as many opinions as you need until you feel that things are right. Good luck, believe me, everyone on this board knows the pain you are going through, and we wish you the best.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
(male)

eric5555 HB User

Thanks db for the response. I hope your upcoming surgery goes well and relieves some of your pain.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

db.. when I said "not much can be done" I was a) referring to the pinky toe and b) referring to going to the ER. The large toe and special breaks are going to be different.

Closed Thread