It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

lourain HB User
bunions removed , screw removal

Just wondering of all those who had bunions removed: Was your doctor a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon?
In addition, when is the best time to have hardware removed after a bunionectomy?
After my second bunion removal the screw was removed at 5 months and the toe did not heal.
This is the third time for this foot and the doc want to remove the screws at 3 mos in order to get a good ct scan to prove the bone is healed. I'm a little nervous.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: bunions removed , screw removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lourain View Post
Just wondering of all those who had bunions removed: Was your doctor a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon?
In addition, when is the best time to have hardware removed after a bunionectomy?
After my second bunion removal the screw was removed at 5 months and the toe did not heal.
This is the third time for this foot and the doc want to remove the screws at 3 mos in order to get a good ct scan to prove the bone is healed. I'm a little nervous.
what kind of bunion surgery did you have? i went to a pod and never had anything removed. i know the cat scan will show everything

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User

I went to a Ortho. surgeon also and he did my surgery 2 months ago. My screw will not be removed. Why is he removing the screw?

Old 10-04-2007, 06:57 AM   #4
(female)

Zardtoe HB User

As far as I understand, from following these boards and other research avenues, only a percentage (maybe 25-30-some percent) of people's screws ever need to be removed, and that's only if they're troubling you afterwards. I had a screw put in, and from what I understand, the strong likelihood is that it will just sit in there for the rest of my life, and not cause any problems. I sure hope that's the case, 'cause I don't want anybody cutting into my foot again unless it's absolutely necessary! You might ask your doc. to justify any wish to remove the screws, and then determine for yourself if his reasoning is good enough for you...

Old 10-04-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
(female)

KathJack HB User

I agree with Debbie, Precious, & Zardtoe-- I had my surgery (bilateral) done by a pod a year and a half ago and do not expect to ever have my screws removed. Only if they start to become unscrewed and move, so that they cause discomfort-- And fortunately, odds are that it won't ever happen.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I had surgery over 2 years ago by a pod. I still have my screws. My mom had hers removed but it was over a year later. If you HAVE to have them removed there is no specific timeline. The bone heals where it was cut either way.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
(female)

Mambito67 HB User

I had austin bunionectomy on May 24th by a podiatrist, and I am having my screw removed next Thursday. I cannot wait! I have been asking my doctor for 2 months now to take it out, as it has been very painful and I knew it was the cause of all of my pain. After weeks of physical therapy, and no relief, he has finally agreed to take them out. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

yeh keep us updated on how that went!!! good luck & god bless

Old 10-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #9
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

I had external fixation devices on both of my feet for severe bunion corrections. I had internal screws on toe 2 and toe 2 and 3 on the second foot.
At the time of my external fixation removal, I had iv sedations because of the discomfort to remove. I had the POD remove the screws at the same time of the fixation removal.
The anesthesiologist told me that it was a good time to remove the screws.
He said that once the screws become really embedded it can be very difficult to remove them.
Also, an RN just told me that internal screws should now be removed because they are proving to cause arthritis.
This is very new stuff that I have not checked out yet (looking up info on).

Closed Thread