It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
(female)

Sugrplum66 HB User
Bunion Recurrence

I had surgery to correct one of my bunions about 10 months ago. I recovered nicely and everything seemed to be ok. My doctor did mention to me at one of my post-ops that once he had me opened up it was much worse than he had expected and he contemplated doing a more aggressive procedure but he thought maybe I was too young to do that to. About 2 months ago I started having pain in my second toe joint when I walked. It feels like all of my weight is going onto that joint and there isnít enough padding there. In the morning it feels like someone is shoving a needle repeatedly into my foot and I usually end up walking on the outside of my foot to avoid the pain.
I finally decided enough was enough and went to another doctor about the pain. When he took the x-rays, he noticed that the screw in my big toe was coming out into the joint and that my bunion was back and in the moderate to severe range. He also said that the pain I described sounded like pre-dislocation syndrome. He said that the screw needed to come out and that I should consider having another (the more aggressive) surgery done while he has me there. He also mentioned shortening my second toe bone to put correct the pre-dislocation syndrome.
Iím 23 years old and this is quite a bit of surgery in one year for someone who is otherwise healthy. Has anyone experienced this? If so what was the outcome?

Old 10-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Bunion Recurrence

hi, it sounds like you had a pretty bad bunion at a young age. it sounds like the 2nd dr knows what he is talking about. i think you have no choice with the surgery and you may as well have everything done he reccomended. yes you are very young, but the fact is you still had bunion surgery. i think you will be fine after surgery and maybe going for another opinion would help. i am sorry this happened to you, but you cant walk around in pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
(female)

cosmic1 HB User
Re: Bunion Recurrence

I had bunion surgery for a severe bunion two years ago.
One month after the first surgery, I had to have it completely redone.
There was no union of the great toe at the bone cut.
I was horribly distraught!!
So, the original six weeks turned into three months.
I was afraid of never walking again.
The recoup was long! but the outcome was perfectly fine when it was all over.
I had the second foot done and that went much easier for the recoup time.
Get it repaired because it does not sound like you have any choice.
My outcome was fine and I was so freaked out by it.
Chanches are you will be OK too!!
I know exactly how bad you feel about this.
I am not a cry baby but I did a bit of crying over that one........

Closed Thread