It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
(male)

timbo_heff HB User
OCD and Rhumatoid Arthritis Connection?

Hi All,
I was just treated for OCD of the talus with microfracture surgery. When doing the preop checkup they found that I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.
I am got very vague answers from my OS about the possible connection.
They showed me pictures from the surgery showing "angry tissue" from the RA right in the joint.
I am wondering if the RA caused the OCD and does this mean I can expect more ocd in other joints because of it.

Is it possible they are coincidental?

I would appreciate any info anyone may have on these questions.

Thanks
Tim

Old 10-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
(female)

mazzie46 HB User
Re: OCD and Rhumatoid Arthritis Connection?

Hiya

I had drilling of a chondral lession in June this year. They thought it was an OCD, but there was no bone involved, just cartilage. I have been told i now have a risk of Arthritis, as when you lose cartilage, bone rubs on bone, and thats what causes it. Not sure what type of arthritis they mean though. You should try and ask your Dr, if only to put your mind to rest.
Good luck

Mazzie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
(female)

carlafrank HB User

Tim,
I also have Rheumatoid arthritis, and have OCD in both ankles. Noone ever said that there was a relationship between the two. And, when i had the ankle scope and drilling, the surgeon said that my ankle joint looked good, and the synovial biopsy was clear of rheumatoid. That's not saying they aren't related, but my understanding is that OCD is more mechanical in nature, and is usually due to trauma of some kind.

How did they diagnose you with RA? I thought blood tests alone aren't conclusive, as so many people have high SED rates and RA factors. Did you have pain and swelling in any joints? I'd suggest that you see a rheumatologist for the RA. If you have it, you should definitely be followed and treated for the RA.

I noticed that you are in New york...I had my OCD surgery at Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan, and one reason i picked them is because they supposedly are experts at RA as well as orthopedics.
Mazzie--that arthritis you are referring to is osteo arthritis. RA is an auto immune disease that attacks the joints.
Carla

Old 10-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
(male)

timbo_heff HB User

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
They found the RA with a CCP test which is much more conclusive than the other blood tests. Then in the surgery they did find the RA in the sinovium and biopsy confirmed.
I go to meet a rhuematologist in a couple of days and begin that fun adventure... Luckily my ankle is feeling pretty good and the persistent pain in my wrist seems to be feeling a lot better...
Hopefully this is all just a warning shot and they will be able to keep me on the mends
Tim

Closed Thread