It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User
Talus OCD Drilling - 3 days post op

As promised, below is my update from my OCD drilling/debridgement that happened on October 3, 3 days ago. Detail of what exactly happened are still a bit fuzzy as my surgeon did come to talk to me a few times, but I don't remember what he said. I'll be sure to get more clarification from him next Friday when I see him.

Biggest fear which turned out to be nothing - having an IV. Never had one before but the nurse was great and I didn't feel a thing.

Wasn't fearful but should have been - the nerve block that they tried for 20 minutes to put in behind my knee. 4 anethesiologists dug around for quite awhile then gave up. Last thing I remember was crying while asking them to stop ... I think they should have given me something for this, although there might have been something in the IV it was certainly not strong enough. Ended up getting the epidural afterall.

Surprises:

- was supposed to be in patient, but they kept me overnight until the next afternoon. I do remember my surgeon saying when I woke up that they may keep me to manage the pain and holy smokes were they right. Morphene shots did the trick every 4 hours for the first 24 ... now down to 1 Vicodin every 4 hours.

- was supposed to be in a bandage and an ace bandage ... now in a cast! which I have to admit isn't agreeing with me as it is making me quite anxious.

- never had a catheter before ... but necessary since feeling down there didn't happen for quite a few hours afterwards.

- the PA told me before I left the hospital that the cartilage in my ankle was peeling away like a banana .. I asked her what that meant and she said it wasn't good and that the surgeon will explain on Friday.

I'll be back in a few days hopefully once I feel better, right now can't give an unbias opinion on anything.

Thanks to everyone for all your support. It truly helped!
Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
(female)

Calrunner HB User
Re: Talus OCD Drilling - 3 days post op

Wow. Sounds like you had a tough go. Keep us posted on your recovery. I'll be interested to hear what your surgeon says about it.

I hope the rest of your recovery is smooth sailing!

Old 10-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User

Well I just had to report back as I had my first appt with the OS after my surgery 10 days ago and my morale has certainly improved since my last message posted above. (which I admit I just re-read and didn't realize how fowl my mood was

Today I saw the pictures of my curretage and drilling procedure and it was explained that more cartilage and bone needed to be removed than he thought initially, but all went as planned. He removed the splint/bandages and the sutures from the 3 insicion sites and I have been cleared to start PT, although still NWB. I can however only move my foot up and down and wiggle my toes in PT ... he was pretty clear that I shouldnt yet try circular motion or side to side yet. PT and weight bearing will progress depending upon how I do in the next few weeks.

I also found out that he was in the room when they were looking for my nerve for the nerve block, which is why he expected me to have to stay the night to manage pain. I wish I would have known that at the time, I probably would have been more comforted than I was.

Finally I asked if the 70 percent chance I had of this solving my problem and not needing the OATS procedure is still possible and he said "yes, but I'd probably raise it to 75 percent now." That was definately good news!

So this was a good day .. just so much more comfortable without the bandages on and haven't needed to take anything for pain since Wednesday ... things can only get better!

Thanks again everyone for all your support during all this. I know for a 39 year old I certainly must have sounded like a big baby, but I appreciate all your support and advice over the last few months.

I will continue of course to post as my recovery and PT progress and of course continue to read about you all in your healing as well and hope to share and read many success stories in the very near future.

Thanks again,
Kim

Old 10-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
(male)

Steinfeld17 HB User

Did you use Dr. Kennedy for the surgery?

Old 10-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

No, but have to admit did call him to see if he took my insurance (United Healthcare) but he doesn't as they said he only accept BCBS.

HSS gave me Dr. Andrew Pearle as someone to see who did take UHC but I found a surgeon here on Long Island that came highly recommended and once I met him, knew he was the one to go with. My surgery was done at Glen Cove Hospital on LI

First doctor I ever met that explained everything down to the most minute detail, never felt rushed with him - would spend as much time with me as I wanted, and that coupled with what I heard about him made him the right one.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
(male)

Steinfeld17 HB User

Hi Kim,

Thanks again for the info. I am still searching for a dr in NYC, but appreciate the suggestion. I need to find someone that has BCBS.

Thanks!

David

Closed Thread