It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 12:57 AM   #1
(male)

john125 HB User
anybody had a failed toe fusion

I had both my big toes fused in May of this year and now I have been told the left toe fusion has broken...has any body else had this type of problem after 4 or more months?

Old 10-08-2007, 06:26 AM   #2
(female)

tazzy0429 HB User
Re: anybody had a failed toe fusion

I had a midfoot fusion done oct 06 and found out a week ago only half of it fused. They now want to do the surgery again and use bone stimulators .I am still undecided because they first time it was very painful and I had some complications arise. Mine did not break , but I have four screws in my foot that are moving enough that they will break eventually so if I don't opt for the surgery again I will still have to have them removed. I have nerve damage in my foot and am in a great deal of pain for the most part . It is just a really difficult decision for me to make. Do they want to redo your fusion as well?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
(male)

john125 HB User

Yes, I have a plate and 5 screws holding the toe bone to the base but there is a very noticable gap appeared that was not there on the last xray...they have got me booked in for the 9 november

Old 10-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

hi john, did they say why this happened? should you go for a cat scan just in case. does this also mean the whole fusion will be done over? maybe they can get you in sooner so you dont have to wait.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:36 AM   #5
(male)

john125 HB User

Yes Deb they are going to do the whole thing again...we do not have the cat scan thing here, talking to a medical guy who I know about the cat scan, he seems to think we do not have this procedure in the UK because there is'nt the amount of litigation here, it seems they can tell with an xray but in the States if it fails the Doc get sued, I think if I had to pay a lot of dollers I would sue as well.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User

John,
A clarification for you (I hope you don't mind, Debbie). CAT scan is the old name and it means "computed axial tomography" scan. It is referred to today as CT scan or "computerized tomography" and is a 3D radiograph (Xray) of a part of the body. Just as you have MRI's available in the UK, you also have CT scans available in the UK. They are usually in hospitals (more are available in other settings in the US) and are more expensive so reserved for more complicated problems. IMO, the non union of the MTPJ fusion is a big deal BUT if it is clearly visible on plain xray then a CT scan would not necessarily be helpful in this situation. I hope this helps, Sophie

Old 10-10-2007, 01:15 AM   #7
(male)

john125 HB User

Thanks Sophie...yes I know they have them but as you say the expense makes them less commonly used, when I had a look at the digital x-ray it showed a clear gap in what was a fused joint.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

according to my dr the only way to tell if fusion took place is by cat scan. why would pedaling cause the fusion not to work?

Old 10-11-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
(male)

john125 HB User

It's not the pedalling, It may be because I push off rather heavily with my left foot, mostly with the front of my foot so my toes get all the action, the Docs here don't seem to agree with using an expensive cat scan when they say an xray will do.I am going to my middle sons engagment party on Saturday and I think I will have to go in sandles.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

the only thing to say is congratulations on your son and surgery is the only answer now. now you know how women feel with their shoes!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread