It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2001, 07:54 PM   #1

Lorrie HB User
Angry Bunion surgery cost

I'm wondering how much others have been told a bunion surgery would cost. I had surgery about a month ago. It was a simple, uncomplicatd surgery. The surgery itself took about an hour. I was an out patient at a local hospital. The total time at the hospital was about 4.5 hours. I had the bunion removed, my toe cut, realigend, two pins put in to hold it together, and internal and external stitches. My doctor told me the surgery would be about $5 thousand dollars total. The hospital has billed for over $10 thousand dollars so far, and this doesn't include the doctor fees. Also does anyone know how I would go about disputing the bill with the hospital. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
(female)

Lauracorey HB User
Re: Bunion surgery cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
I'm wondering how much others have been told a bunion surgery would cost. I had surgery about a month ago. It was a simple, uncomplicatd surgery. The surgery itself took about an hour. I was an out patient at a local hospital. The total time at the hospital was about 4.5 hours. I had the bunion removed, my toe cut, realigend, two pins put in to hold it together, and internal and external stitches. My doctor told me the surgery would be about $5 thousand dollars total. The hospital has billed for over $10 thousand dollars so far, and this doesn't include the doctor fees. Also does anyone know how I would go about disputing the bill with the hospital. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
(female)

Lauracorey HB User

I was wondering the same thing myself. I had Bunion surgery in August. I have have insurance but still had to pay what was not covered. This included,the Doctor, office visits with numerous rays, blood test , and MRI before surgery and I just got a claim from the outpatient hospital where the surgery was performed, like you only there for 4 hours without complications and the hospital charge was over $25,000.00!! I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the envelope. The insurance covers a major portion of it but I would still owe over $900 in the balance. This seems ridiculously high for foot surgery. Ethically I think it's wrong for hospitals to charge so much money and I would not have had the surgery I had I known it would be so costly.
If you find any information about addressing the high hospital cost please pass it on,
Liz

Old 01-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
(female)

pohtr HB User

I had both feet done at the same time at an outpatient surgical center. The surgeon's fee was $900 , the anesthesiologist was $600 and the surgical center was $3790 for a total of $5286, plus the sandles & x rays and pre-op tests. The reason it was cheaper is because I got all prices ahead of time and asked about discounts. This was necessary because if I couldn't afford it wasn't getting done. I had a discount for the 2nd foot but also a discount for being self pay. I am confidant that you can get that amount reduced at least for some of it. It makes a big difference if you can pay it (the reduced amount) up right away. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
(female)

delem HB User

Just yesterday I had a surprise bill arrive at my house. The surgical facility was charging me an extra $946 saying that the presurgery estimate of $753 (which I paid the day of surgery) was just an estimate. Whoever is doing these estimates needs some maaajor reschooling since the final out of pocket cost is more than double the original estimate! I then called my insurance company to verify the amount and I asked if there were any other statements that I should expect in the mail. I almost had a panic attack as the phone attendant read off a list of charges that I would have to cover myself: $608 to my podiatrist, $295 to the anesthesiologist, another $215 to the anesthesiologist, and $1,872 to the hospital (I don't know why this is separate from the 1,699 paid to the surgical center - which is part of the hospital). Honestly I still would have had the operation despite not knowing these costs ahead of time. But I would have waited a few more months until I had my finances in order. You gotta do what you gotta do I guess. I guess I'll hustle my butt off as soon as I'm given the 'ok' to work again AND get a second job. This sucks and it completely changes my plans for the year but it's not the end of the world.

My total surgery cost $30,000! I was absolutely astonished when I saw this figure. Of course the insurance company is charged a discount, which in my case brought the total cost to about $8,000. What's ridiculous is that if I didn't have insurance they would have charged me the full $30,000. Healthcare in the United states? PITIFUL.

I suggest that everyone look into the AMA's "voice for the uninsured" OR move to Canada where you don't have to fight so damn hard to be healthy.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
(female)

wildflower73 HB User

My bills just started coming in from my Dec 12th surgery. I had called everyone w/the code and time estimate and so far it has all been accurate. I didn't think to ask about the cost of the hardware. It turns out, my plate and 4 screws were $2600. My part of that will be about $900. I have blue cross so they have "allowed amounts" that the dr. are honoring. I think my insurance co will be billed for almost $8k and my 30% will be almost $2500. Be sure to ask about discounts for paying bills in full if you are able. Some places will take 10% off. Anything helps.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
(female)

dancing feet HB User

Lauracorey: I think that is an outrageous amount of money to be charged. However, I can believe it because I went to see an Ortho in a well-known NYC Hospital and the charge for the office visit and 3 X-rays came out to $735 (my insurance paid $85). When I got the bill from the hospital, they even tacked on a $27 NYS surcharge. I called them and asked if they were now taxing medical bills, too. I was told that NYS imposes the tax on the hospital and so, guess who winds up paying it. I complained and was told if I paid the bill within 2 weeks they would give me a 10% discount. It wasn't much but it was better than no discount. They have some racket! Thank God I decided to go another route and not use this Ortho. I can just imagine what it would have cost me in the end. Shame, shame, shame on them is all I can say.

Closed Thread