It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
(male)

cknyc HB User
my ankle is still extremely painful 10 months post donor transplant

Hi. I'm terribly frustrated and was wondering if any of you have had a donor transplant on your ankle (talus, cartiledge, tendon)? and if so, how long until you were pain free? It has been 10 months after my surgery. the pain is different now but there are times i can barely walk. my ankle locks up occassionally but the worst is when i am a little bit more active than usual (i live in NYC and have 2 small kids....lots of walking) and i literally can't take one more step without excuricating pain. i write this off as growing pains but i'm beginning to wonder if i have to live with this the rest of my life.
I've been through drilling to save my ankle but it did not work. the donor option seemed like the best and i'm sure i've made the right decision. i'm just wondering if anyone has any advice or has had this surgery done and can let me know how long it takes for the pain to stop.
Thank you.

Last edited by cknyc; 10-10-2007 at 12:00 PM. Reason: not complete

Old 10-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
(female)

carol1225 HB User
Re: my ankle is still extremely painful 10 months post donor transplant

Hey Cknyc
I had mosaicplasty (Cartilage / Bone Transplant - Cadaver to the Talus) a year ago. I can say I am surprised that I am still having hard times, long distance walk (more than 5 blocks) and prolong standing (more than 10 min) and my ankle which I consider an entity these days, will pound out of control. I seen my OS a few weeks ago for my 1 yr follow up and I expected him to have some miracle solution and he told me "it is what it is" and this is the best I can expect and I guess I can live with it but it surely is not what I expected and my friends, hubby etc,. can't understand why I am still in pain and why I judge any activity to if its worth the pain I'll pay.
Now at least I know that this is all I can expect and I guess I can live with it, I just expected to be where I was at prior to the latest injury and I am nowhere near it. It has taken nearly a year for it to even remotely begin to behave, so hang in there. If it doesn't get better call your Doc and if they aren't concerned go elsewhere.
I wish you the best. Hang in there!
Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
(male)

cknyc HB User
Re: my ankle is still extremely painful 10 months post donor transplant

Hi Carol. I'm very disappointed to hear this and so sad for you. are you going to see another doctor? i would hate for this to be the end. i don't think anyone should have to live with this kind of pain. i too have to decide how much i'm willing to pay for the pain before i do an activity. plus, i can't jump, run, or walk with out limping for more than a few blocks. the pain is not the dead bone kind of pain but something deep inside my ankle. it will just shoot out and stop me in my tracks. and then i can barely walk for the rest of the day.

I thought perhaps the pain was my fault for not giving it enough time to heal in the first place. i'm terribly claustophoic and the cast made me crazy when i was not on anxiety medications. my kind doctor took my cast off a week early to help me get through (my new bone was healing splendidly). and i was in a boot for 3 months but living in NYC going up and down stairs and walking several blocks to just get to work put a lot of stress on it.

i'm 36. i feel ancient. i'm so worried that i won't be able to carry my young children soon.

please let me know of any progress or tricks you may do to work through this. i'm very grateful! and i'm grateful to my donor as well.

All the best to you!
Courtenay

Closed Thread