It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
(male)

ccso0656 HB User
Sprained/Broken Foot

On 10-07-07 I was running with my sons who were in a stroller. I tripped over the stroller and my right ankle rolled compltely over to the side were my ankle was touching the ground. When this occured I felt somthing pop in my foot or ankle. After approximately one hour later I went to my local ER, were I ahd three x-rays taken. The Doctor on duty stated that she believed that I may have strained the ligaments in my ankle, and stated that if I continued to feel any further discomfort or pain to go and see my primary Doctor and ask for new x-rays. Well tommarow it will be three days and I am still having pain on the top of my foot near the outside and when I walk or stand for long periods of time.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:30 AM   #2
(female)

relteach HB User
Re: Sprained/Broken Foot

It is interesting that such a seemingly little movement such as twisting the foot over could cause so much discomfort and, perhaps, damage. I think you need to skip your primary doc and find a podiatrist who is board certified in foot and ankle surgery (not that you may need it). This means that he/she is much more proficient in the anatomy of the foot and ankle and has seen and treated almost every conceivable injury or condition. Is your foot swollen? If so, put some ice on it and get it elevated until you can get to the doc. Try and stay off of it, if possible.

Last March, I broke my 5th metatarsal (the bone along the outside of the foot that ends with the pinkie toe) in a similar situation. I stumbled while walking and my foot twisted under somewhat like you described. I felt nothing at the time of the twisting. It was when I put weight on the foot that the pain was excruciating, even for the littlest pressure. If you can bear some weight with a little discomfort, you may not have broken anything. All I can suggest is that you see a doc who specializes in feet and ankles like I mentioned above.

Let us know how it goes.

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
(male)

ccso0656 HB User

Today 10-10-07 it has been three days since my accident. The pain is still there in some fashion. I feel the pain when I move my foot a certain way or apply a certain amount of pressure to the upper and outside of my r-foot. While doing some research it stated that a metatarsal stress fracture may not show up on an x-ray and may not be that bad at first but over a few weeks can result in a frature/break. It also stated that the pain may may be intermitten and not always be there as bad or even in certain actions. With this new knowledge should I continue with normal actions and waite or go to my primary Doctor and have new x-rays taken to see if there is a metatarsal break?

Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I'm worried about my ankle/heel area too. It's been 2 weeks yesterday that I fell off the roof of my house while attempting to put up Christmas lights. I hit the concrete and ended up in hospital with staples in my head and both ankles sprained but nothing showed up as broken. While the right leg, which was the worse one, seems to be better, now the left foot is hurting me more. There's also a bump on the front of my leg or a place that looks swollen. I'm not in any great pain and walking around but wonder if I should be? How long does it actually take to get over a sprained ankle or foot injury like this?

Charla

Closed Thread