It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2001, 08:29 AM   #1

aloness HB User
Exclamation stabbing pain in bottom of foot

I have 2 problems. The first one is... I've been getting a severe stabbing pain in the bottom of my foot right where the heel and the arch meet. It feels like I stepped on broken glass or the blade of a knife, or some extremely sharp object. The first time it happened I thought I had stepped on something and cut myself. It happens to both my feet, but the right one more often. A few times when I was barefoot, I looked at the bottom of my foot when the pain was happening and I could see the tendon/muscle (whatever is it) that was hurting, bulging out of my skin and pulsing. If I rub it, it goes away.

Second problem is I wake up in the middle of the night often and both my big toes are extremely painful. I can't move them or bend them at all.

Does anyone have either one of these problems? If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated, thank you for reading this...

Old 05-16-2001, 11:16 AM   #2

dratgoed HB User
You are not the only one. This sort of thing runs on my mom's side of the family, but don't worry - it's not a disease. We have very high arches and this happens when we wear shoes that aren't good for our feet, or if we run around barefoot a lot. My mother has had surgery for unrelated heel spurs, and her problems seem to have subsided. My sister wears $200 custom orthotic (spelling?) inserts in her shoes. I've always been the one to wear tennis shoes most of the time, but have had to start wearing inserts in my shoes. I just go get Dr Scholl's inserts at the store, though. You can get the inserts and get shoes with good arch support to help you some. When the pain starts like that, I soak my feet in very warm to hot water and rub them just as you might do to a muscle cramp. This usually helps to loosen up that tendon. My husband also showed me something he learned in martial arts. Either sit indian style, or with one foot in your lap in that manner. Gently push the ball of your feet back to make the tendon tight with one hand, and then pluck it as if it were a guitar string with your other hand. Do this for a few minutes and then do the same to the other foot...
Hope this helps... DRR :> )

The Following User Says Thank You to dratgoed For This Useful Post:
Gbabes (03-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2001, 07:58 PM   #3

aloness HB User
I just wanted to thank you DRR... Since I've taken your advice I have been pain free!

thank u very very much again

Old 05-27-2001, 11:44 AM   #4

Beverle HB User
Smile

DRR: Thank you from me too. I just found this board today. Your "plucking" advise is practically a miracle! I can't thank you enough.

Old 03-06-2005, 01:11 PM   #5
(male)

Wallynova HB User
Re: stabbing pain in bottom of foot

DRR: Thank You soo much! I had the same exact problem and found this board by doing a search. I've been useing your "pluck" for 3 days now and I have been able to do my daily running without any terrible stabbing pains! Your awsome man! You saved me a trip to the doctor and foot surgery.

Closed Thread