It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
(female)

tessnyc HB User
9 Weeks Post-Lapidus Full Weight-bearing questions

So, it's week 9 post-lapidus. After one week partial WB while on crutches and one week equal weight of both feet while on crutches, today is the day that I am to start full weightbearing without crutches.

Since I had an easy time walking with the crutches, I thought that walking without the crutches wouldn't be too hard. I was wrong.

Wearing my camo-boot, I took my first steps walking alongside a conference room table at work to give me something to lean on, "just in case". Well, I REALLY needed to lean on the table. The foot hurt somewhat, especially around the heel and front of the foot. I felt like my calf and ankle muscles weren't stabilizing me. I did about 7 laps back and forth along the table, leaning on it for support and then felt like I should stop. Took 2 tylenol. I figure I will try again later today. Also, since the camo boot is raised up like wearing a platform shoe, it is higher than my sneaker of my other foot and causes an automatic limp.

Does this sound normal to all you Post-Lapidus posters? Should FWB be easier than this? Or is it normal to walk just a little bit each day? How long before walking with a normal gait?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
(female)

BunionPatient HB User
Re: 9 Weeks Post-Lapidus Full Weight-bearing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessnyc View Post
So, it's week 9 post-lapidus. After one week partial WB while on crutches and one week equal weight of both feet while on crutches, today is the day that I am to start full weightbearing without crutches.

Since I had an easy time walking with the crutches, I thought that walking without the crutches wouldn't be too hard. I was wrong.

Wearing my camo-boot, I took my first steps walking alongside a conference room table at work to give me something to lean on, "just in case". Well, I REALLY needed to lean on the table. The foot hurt somewhat, especially around the heel and front of the foot. I felt like my calf and ankle muscles weren't stabilizing me. I did about 7 laps back and forth along the table, leaning on it for support and then felt like I should stop. Took 2 tylenol. I figure I will try again later today. Also, since the camo boot is raised up like wearing a platform shoe, it is higher than my sneaker of my other foot and causes an automatic limp.

Does this sound normal to all you Post-Lapidus posters? Should FWB be easier than this? Or is it normal to walk just a little bit each day? How long before walking with a normal gait?
I had the lapidus procedure done 7/23/07 and I am walking now but still with a limp so mines is probably one of the longest recoveries!!!! And I'm 18 and young so I do not undestand....But, I did not leave the crutches for awhile. So, I think you are doing okay, if not way better than me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
(female)

monster bunion HB User
Re: 9 Weeks Post-Lapidus Full Weight-bearing questions

Sounds completely normal. Just try and walk a little bit during the day and remember to ice and elevate. Each day, try to walk a few more steps each time. Gradually, the foot will get used to the weight, but it is a slow process.
Good luck!

Closed Thread