It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
(female)

BunionPatient HB User
11 weeks plus post-lapidus & still have problems

So basically I'm hear to pour out my problems. It's been a really long recovery for me and for some reason I am still limping. It seems like a lot of people left their crutches early and could walk earlier than I can. I can walk now....but I have a limp. I've been improving but very slow. (I'm 18 so for all the people who think we all recover fast, I bet to differ) The problems I have are discomfort where the fusion is, toe is sore sometimes, the scar tissue can be painful sometimes when rubbed against something (I think i might have a keloid because it gets red and raised), my foot gets indented when I am in a shoe and have to walk around to get to class, etc... I've just been having more problems than before and its no bueno. I never thought the surgery would cause more pain. Isn't it suppost to do the opposite. This process is so long I just do not want to consider having the other foot done. I know I'm complaining a lot but this is how I feel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
(female)

Zardtoe HB User
Re: 11 weeks plus post-lapidus & still have problems

I'm sorry you're having troubles with recovery, but if it makes you feel any better, I don't think that you're having a particularly slow recovery. It might be slower than what your doctor promised (they seem to be a little too optimistic...), but I don't get the impression that it's slower than the usual. A Lapidus usually takes longer to heal than what I had (an Austin, back in early February), and I'm only back in regular shoes recently. (been wearing sandals and/or flipflops all summer due to residual swelling - and the straps have been leaving divots in my puffy foot!) I've had an easy enough time of it, pain-wise, but your foot really will have big swelling for longer than you expect (mine went down markedly between 10 and 12 weeks and that seems fairly standard - you might have a breakthrough soon), and I've had enough swelling to not be able to fit back into my usual shoes until just the past month - and I'm still purchasing slightly bigger shoes. "They" say that you can see some swelling for up to a year, so you might want to resign yourself to that, but then be happy when/if it goes away sooner. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i agree with zardtoe. swelling is the worst. when do you see your dr next because i would show him the scar.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

my last post-op appointment was at 8 weeks..... I don't think I will be able to see my original doc for awhile because I go to school 8 hours away from home. but thanks for all the replies it was helpful

Old 10-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Hi BunionPatient,
Don't get discouraged! The healing process is so very slow.My podiatrist said my stiffness and soreness takes 6-12 months to resolve. That is crazy. The stiffness and soreness does get better but very slowly. The walking too much to get to class may be irritating your foot. It needs to rest and still needs to be iced and elevated. My trouble started when I stopped icing because I thought I was doing so well. Plus I was wearing Crocs around the house which just hurt both my feet badly. So I went back to the doctor and she gave me a prescription for Relafen 500mg (a non-steroidal), I got new athletic shoes from On the R** in San Francisco, and I'm starting PT, he showed me some exercises to do (plus exercises for the bunion foot - towel scrunching with toes and heel lifts while sitting). The PT guy said that the morning pain is due to stiffness and to soak my feet in hot water. The rest of the day would be icing. The scar will be tender for a while, I still have to put a bandaid over part of it when I wear a sandal. All I'm doing at home is trying to recover, I can't imagine having to go to school at the same time. Stick with the crutches if you need to because you have a lot of walking. If I think I'm going to walk a long way, I use the crutches because if I overdo it, I will pay for it in pain at night. You are not alone in your frustration, it is a very hard process. Don't worry about the limping, as your leg and foot gets stronger, it will disappear. Hang in there!

Old 10-14-2007, 12:19 AM   #6
(female)

BunionPatient HB User
Smile Re: 11 weeks plus post-lapidus & still have problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster bunion View Post
Hi BunionPatient,
Don't get discouraged! The healing process is so very slow.My podiatrist said my stiffness and soreness takes 6-12 months to resolve. That is crazy. The stiffness and soreness does get better but very slowly. The walking too much to get to class may be irritating your foot. It needs to rest and still needs to be iced and elevated. My trouble started when I stopped icing because I thought I was doing so well. Plus I was wearing Crocs around the house which just hurt both my feet badly. So I went back to the doctor and she gave me a prescription for Relafen 500mg (a non-steroidal), I got new athletic shoes from On the R** in San Francisco, and I'm starting PT, he showed me some exercises to do (plus exercises for the bunion foot - towel scrunching with toes and heel lifts while sitting). The PT guy said that the morning pain is due to stiffness and to soak my feet in hot water. The rest of the day would be icing. The scar will be tender for a while, I still have to put a bandaid over part of it when I wear a sandal. All I'm doing at home is trying to recover, I can't imagine having to go to school at the same time. Stick with the crutches if you need to because you have a lot of walking. If I think I'm going to walk a long way, I use the crutches because if I overdo it, I will pay for it in pain at night. You are not alone in your frustration, it is a very hard process. Don't worry about the limping, as your leg and foot gets stronger, it will disappear. Hang in there!
Thank You Monsterbunion!!! It's been awhile since I last talked to you and I was wandering how you were doing! I know how this cite does not like to form cliques but it is hard because I can relate to you because we had the same procedure and it's been difficult for us both! As for class, I signed up for this disability thing and similar to a golf-cart, the cart takes me very close to my class so I don't have to walk far. But I still have pain here-and-there with the mid-foot. I am thinking about having the screws taken out this summer because I am pretty sure that is what is causing me problems. When I had my post-op at 2 weeks I was telling my pod. that when I rubbed my mid-foot I can feel a tingly sensation and I think I felt the screws. He told me it might be but that was not the big issue then - the fusion of the foot was. I still have that tingly sensation now and when it rubs against my shoes it hurts. I can't imagine something falling on my mid-foot b/c that would be very painful! As for the scar, it is raised mid-foot and slightly raised near the big toe. I've ordered Neosporin Scar Solution.... & Mederma online so I hope it works. I don't think I will be able to do PT because I do not have a car here and it would be a hassle to find a shuttle and locations here because I'm new to this area. I no longer use my crutches, but when I go somewhere far I can ride on my skooter! lol Thanks for all your support and keep on posting!

Old 10-14-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
(female)

MsTammy HB User

Another thing you can try is Curad Scar Therapy. They're clear, silicone (I think) pads that you can cut to size and they lessen the redness and make the scar flatter. My incision had gotten infected near the joint so it was raised a bit there. You're supposed to wear the pads (I cut them in half to strips) 12 hours a day and have been doing so most days since about July. My scar is so flat now! And it is considerably less red. There is usually no redness at all when I take the strips off but it does get a little red as they are off longer. But wearing the strips consistently does help. I also use Mederma 2-3 times a day while the strips are off.

I've found them most consistently at Walgreens. Target used to have them but obviously don't anymore. They are available online at various places, though. Just search for "Curad Scar Therapy." I pay about $19.00 at Walgreens for a box of 20 but I cut them in half so they really last me about 40 days. Definitely something to look into!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

Thanks a lot MsTammy! do you know if they are better than Neopsorin Scar Solution? These are also siliocone scar sheets & for raised & discolored scars....said to mimic the natural skin.

Closed Thread