It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2001, 02:56 PM   #1

SuPeRMaN5 HB User
Post How do I get rid of the bad feet smell in my sandals?? that's a foot problem right?

i guess this would be considered a foot problem...

i'm a lifeguard and i wear sandals at the pool and i notice that with the water, chlorine, and my feet that when they sweat in my sandals that after a while they start to develope a bad foot odor kind of smell. I tried washing them with soap, laundry detergent and the smell goes away a little but i was wondering if anyone knows of a washing mixture that can pretty much get rid of the whole smell. If you wear flip flops they dont smell cuz it doesnt have that kind of material like sandals do that go over the top of your foot. and that's where the fungus(odor) is being kept. if you can help then i'd really appreciate it. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 03:16 PM   #2

bf6067 HB User
Thumbs up Re: How do I get rid of the bad feet smell in my sandals?? that's a foot problem right?

Superman5,

I really do not have any idea on what you can do to eliminate foot odor other than to apply foot powders and creams designed to eliminate foot odor.

At the risk of sounding like a weirdo, I have a major complaint about foot odor as it seems to control people's lives and prevents them from being comfortable around others. Also, I have noticed it seems to offend women more than men. It seems as if guys having foot odor problems are embarrassed by the smell and yet many of us other guys really do not have a problem with it or even notice it. Maybe I have never really smelled foot odor before but I like people to be comfortable when they are around me. Nothing makes me feel lousier or like a failure than when someone who normally kicks off their shoes won't because they feel they have offensive foot odor.

I actually experienced two separate cases where women complained about their husbands foot odor when it didn't bother me at all. I actually wondered why they drew attention to it and made their husbands feel embarrassed.

Although, I myself do not have foot odor, so it is easy for me to say, I wish guys who have foot odor wouldn't worry about it so much. Not that I am trying to suggest you live with something which bothers you but remember, it bothers you more than others. To be honest with you, I would much rather have a guy comfortable in my home with his shoes off, inspite of his foot odor smell than to have him uncomfortable. But then maybe I need to have a guy with foot odor put his feet in my face to change my opinion. I know I am not good with words so this probably is not coming across the way I want it to. I guess I should leave it by saying, it bothers you more than it will bother others. After all, you are more important than the smell of your feet! People who love you will accept you and everything about you. Foot odor included.
- Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2004, 12:10 AM   #3
(female)

seashell1 HB User
Re: How do I get rid of the bad feet smell in my sandals?? that's a foot problem right?

Try spraying the sandals with a lysol type spray.

Old 06-19-2004, 09:00 PM   #4
(male)

JeffH HB User
Re: How do I get rid of the bad feet smell in my sandals?? that's a foot problem right?

I was looking for sandals today for kayaking and mentioned to the salesman that I had read that some are more prone to smelling. He said some people stick them in the freezer when not using them to help with the smell problem. It's not your feet causing the smell, it's the bacteria growing on the sandal after you use them and as they dry out. Don't know if the freezing method would work, just thought I'd pass it on.

Old 06-21-2004, 08:43 AM   #5

spacey_11 HB User

I work at Eastern Mountain Sports, and we get this problem all the time with customers. My advice... Ditch those sandals and buy some with an antimicrobial foot bed. Once they start to smell, tere really is no way to eliminate it, and once you put them back one, they will stink just as bad. I know that Keen and I believe Reef make sandals with the antimicrobial foot bed... give them a look. Good Luck!

Old 06-24-2004, 07:32 PM   #6
(male)

DIGBY67 HB User

previous poster is right about the bacteria causing the smell.
i occasionally take some 91% rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush to my timberland sandals.
you can buy (as i did) a piece of mineral salt that is sold as a natural deodorant (the salt prohibits the growth of the bacteria). i actually use a dremmel tool to "powderize" the rock into into my sandals after the alcohol dries.
i can wear them for about a week before i notice a smell again.
the antimicrobal shoes sound good though.
sorry bf6067, but you have to keep your shoes on in my house until you start wearing white cotton socks underneath your regular socks and get rid of the smell.

Closed Thread