It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2001, 10:56 AM   #1

burtongirl77 HB User
Exclamation Calcium Deposit on top of Foot?

hi everyone...
I'm new to this, so bear with me.
I'm a 24 year old female from Denver, CO.
For several months now, the top of my right foot has been hurting. Like a dull ache. But what's weird, it only happens late at night when I'm not wearing shoes. So I thought I had arthritis in my foot and took the pain by taking pills to ease it at night. Then about after a month of this pain, I noticed what seemed like a sac of fluid on the right side on top of my right foot about the size of a half dollar...then I got really worried. The fluid sac got larger and the pain got more instense..but mind you ONLY at night. Then it really started to hurt and I noticed a few months after the sac appeared, it started to harden. Now, today, the hard spot is located where the sac and the pain originates and its getting more and more pronounced as you can see it poking through my skin. And recently, I noticed that my two last toes are getting numb at night. What is this? can someone help me?

Thanks in Advance.

Old 10-16-2001, 01:20 PM   #2

burtongirl77 HB User
Talking

Thank you so much!

I think that is what exactly what I have!

I have made an appointment for tomorrow morning to see a doctor and see what's up with it.

thanks again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2001, 01:46 PM   #3

siouxzee HB User
Well cool On that page I showed you, the doctor there says that the one he shows needs surgery but mine was that big and didn't need surgery. Most doctors will try and treat you first by draining the fluid and then injecting the sac with cortisone. Some of them try this 2 or 3 times before resorting to surgery. Discuss trying the draining first if your doc wants to jump on surgery.

Also, you may get these at other times in your life. They almost always occur on the wrist, either the inside or the outside. Sometimes on the first joint of one of your fingers. The one on my wrist hurt for about 3 years before I could finally seen a bump. Just something for you to remember in case some other time in your life you get unexplained wrist or finger pain. Good luck.

PS: The draining didn't hurt one bit. It almost felt good to relieve the pressure. Just thought I'd add this as I'm a baby when it comes to needles

[This message has been edited by siouxzee (edited 10-16-2001).]

Old 10-16-2001, 02:20 PM   #4

burtongirl77 HB User
Cool

thanks

now that I have a medical term for what I might have, I've been internet hounding and trying to understand my treatment options if this is a ganglion.

it's been getting bigger lately too.
and I'm worried that if I do get this taken care of, how long it will take me to recover, cause as you can tell from my little profile thingy, I'm in Colorado and an AVID snowboarder. I don't want to be laid up in crutches when the season starts in about a month!

thanks again

Old 10-17-2001, 12:25 PM   #5

siouxzee HB User
If they just take out the fluid with a needle and "have a wait and see if it comes back attitude", then you can ski right away. I think I was 13-14 when I had it done ( the mind is going). It never hurt after. I started to wear shoes right away. It just never bothered me again. It left a stretch mark on my foot tho that is still there today.

The pain you feel now is from it pressing on the nerves in your foot. Once you get it aspirated (needle taking out fluid) then the pain should go away and you'll be back to normal.

If you would need surgery, you'd probably be off skiing for at least 3 weeks, possibly up to 8 weeks, depending on the severity.

You'll probably need to do something about it before skiing as those tight boots pressing on that are gonna kill ya. Hopefully they can just drain it and you'll never have to think about it again. That is usually the case in nearly all ganglions.

Closed Thread