It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
(female)

becky060599 HB User
Question 3 Weeks Post Op on Bunion Surgery

Hi! I am a new member. I just finished reading some of the messages from other folks about their experiences with Bunion Surgery. THank you- they have been very helpful. But I have a few questions I need assistance on.
My doctor said that I could go back to work after one week. That did not work and therefore, I stayed out another week. When I went back to work, I had to elevate my foot. I work at a desk all day, and just could not get comfortable. I tried a regular chair with pillows and then tried a wheelchair with pillows. Still could not comfortable and ultimately, my back began to hurt.
Once I get home, I have to lay down and my foot throbs and swells. Any suggestions on props for my foot or seating?
My doctor also took off the hard cast and put on an aircast. I was not given any instructions on how to use it other than the initial putting on the cast.
Any suggestions.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
(female)

KathJack HB User
Re: 3 Weeks Post Op on Bunion Surgery

I am surprised that your doctor told you that you could return to work in one week. Wow. Even after two weeks, I would have found it challenging. I don't know your situation at work-- this might just be too embarrassing, but I found that sitting in an inner tube (just a cheap child's toy) really helped take pressure off my backbone. That and a good pillow behind your lower back might be helpful.

The most comfortable position for me to elevate my feet was partially reclining with a good pillow behind my back (the kind that looks like a chair back with arm rests), a cylinder pillow under my knees, a wedge shape pillow under my legs between my knees and ankles, and a big bean bag pillow on which to rest my feet. (I had a double bunionectomy.) Of course you need to be on a couch or bed for all of that. Can you work from home at all or put in shorter days for another week or two? Take a long lunch and go somewhere to lie down (with your feet up, of course)? Are you still icing? I highly recommend it. Also recommend anti-inflammatory meds; over the counter is fine-- They might help alleviate the back pain, as well as decrease the swelling in your foot.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about casts; never had one. Hope you heal up very soon-- You should feel, and get around, better every week. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User

I too am surprised that you went back to work so soon. I had my surgery August 15, and I'm going back Tuesday. Of course I sprained my ankle and that set me back a little. I have a job where I'm on my feet 8 hours a day, and there is no sit down time to rest the foot. ICE should be your best friend by now. I also had a Mortons Neuroma removed, and that was added time of recovery. Take care, and if your Dr. won't answer your questions, check back with the message boards and you should get some good help here.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i hope you are asking your dr all these questions. i also never heard of returning to work after 1 week.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
(female)

wifeofa31sierra HB User

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by wifeofa31sierra; 02-16-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

If you had cuts to the bones, those bones have to re-union.
Any bone has to heal at least six weeks period.
This just sounds odd to me.
Maybe they use a different internal method for the bone union.
But, if it works out why would we not be using a method that sounds that easy.
I had a non union of my great toe for my first bunion surgery. One month after that surgery I had to have it completely re done.
I do not know what I think of this................

Old 10-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i dont either, but i hope the 2nd surgery worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please let us know how you are feeling

Old 10-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
(female)

KathJack HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofa31sierra View Post
I've noticed some differences with the way German doctors handle the procedure over American doctors (I had my osteotomy done in a German hospital). I didn't get a cast of any kind, only a surgical shoe...and I also didn't get crutches. I have to wear orthopedic stockings on both legs. In order to leave the hospital the morning after I had to walk across the hall, navigate up and down a short flight of stairs, and walk back to my room. The doctor said the sooner I got back on it (for short periods of time as tolerated), the faster I'd heal. I get my stitches out this Thursday, and will ask then how long for surgical shoe. I will also be flying back to the US in November, so I'm curious to see how that plays out. I will wear my stockings for sure!
I had my bones cut, realigned, and screwed in a double bunionectomy last year as an outpatient in a hospital just outside Chicago-- I also didn't get casts or crutches (or orthopedic stockings), just the surgical shoes. I only had to wear mine for two weeks; after that I switched to extra wide gym shoes (extra wide to accommodate swelling) and started doing as much walking as my feet could comfortably tolerate. Everything seems to have healed up just fine; my feet feel and function better than they have in decades! It's amazing how different the protocol can be for recovery after bunionectomies. I know that there are different surgeries and degrees of severity (Mine were quite bad), but even when its the same procedure, etc., different doctors have widely varying opinions about weight bearing, etc. We obviously have to trust our doctors and follow their guidelines, but if you have the option of choosing your surgeon, I'd get a second opinion if you are told you have to be NWB for longer than you think you can afford to be off your feet.

Closed Thread