It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 05:52 PM  
(male)

Locofoot HB User
Lisfranc recovery - Shoe recommendations?

I suffered a lisfranc fracture on July 11, 2007. I am in a walking cast after being in a plaster cast (non weight bearing) for eleven weeks. My next doctors appointment is Oct. 23. If all goes well I will be transitioning from my aircast to a normal shoe on the 23rd. Does anyone have a recommendation for the type of shoes to wear when transitioning from a walking cast to a shoe?

Old 10-16-2007, 02:36 AM  
(female)

relteach HB User
Re: Lisfranc recovery - Shoe recommendations?

You would be wise to check with your doc as to what he/she recommends. Many will say an atheletic shoe with stabalizer (a cross trainer) or a running shoe that has a fair amount of flexibility. The type of shoe after a fracture will depend on how much the doc is comfortable with your foot flexing right off the bat outside of the boot. After my jones fracture, I was in a cross trainer for 10 weeks, then transitioned to a running shoe where I am now. I go today for a check and hopefully I can where any type of shoe. I am really sick of wearing athletic shoes with my work clothes. As for brand, my doc said new balance are his preference. I need to find out what kind of shoe he want me to wear when the weather is icy, as I live where it get quite cold. I know I do not want to break my foot again and falling on ice can be a sport in ohio in the winter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 04:29 AM  
(female)

mar55 HB Usermar55 HB User

After my Lisfranc surgery, which was several years ago, I was told that I would have to wear lace-up shoes for the rest of my life. That has held true. If I wear regular shoes, I end up not hardly able to walk. I need the support that the lace up gives. Buying a lace-up shoe with a good arch support will be your best bet. Also, you will probably find that you need wider shoes because of the injury. I now wear "wide" on all the tennis shoes or lace ups that I buy. But I guess wearing them is better than not walking. Good luck to you.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:12 PM  
(male)

RBall Player HB User

Loco-

Have you started rehab yet? I had my 4th session today (2 sessions per week), and things are progressing well.

During the first session, my foot was "measured' - to determine my range of motion, and to see how much strength I had. It was also massaged and received electical stimulation therapy while being iced.

I was told to bring a tennis shoe for the 2nd session, as I would need it for the exercises that I was going to do. I wore my New Balance crosstrainers (model 451) and they worked fine. The "bad" foot is a bit larger, but it did fit in the shoe. The laces were definitley laced up looser than the shoe on my good foot.

I started doing exercises to strengthen the foot and my leg at the 2nd session, followed again by massage/icing/electrical stimulation. The 3rd session was pretty much identical to the 2nd, but today's session included new and more difficult movements.

The weather has just turned cold here, and the dropping snow level became a topic of coversation during my foot massage today. I casually asked my therapist if I would be able to ski this year (I was not overly optimistic, and was somewhat joking). She kinda smiled and said that I would!

Good news!

She did add that I might have to get a new ski boot in order to fit my larger foot. Small price to pay I think!

I decided to press my luck and asked when I'd be able to start jumping rope again (leading up to my be able to play racquetball again). She said that wouldn't happen until I was fully out of my walking boot (another 2 weeks or less), but that it really should be addressed with my doctor.

Random thought: Any chance that you're bad foot is on the left - and that you wear a size 10? We could form some sort of Lisfranc Shoe Exchange, lol.

Get better!

Old 10-20-2007, 05:38 PM  
(male)

Locofoot HB User

Hi Rball Player,

I have not started physical therapy yet. My doctor is considering not recommending physical therapy for me. I asked him why and he replied that with some injuries physical therapy can cause more damage than good. If by my next appointment (10/23) he determines that physical therapy will cause me more harm than good, I will get a second opinion. It seems to me that pt will only help.

I plan on using Merrill Hiking boots while transitioning away from my air cast. These hiking boots have a rigid sole and good ankle support. My ankle has been supported in a cast for nearly four months. I'm sure it has lost some strength and stability.

I am making decent progress so far. I am able to get around very well in the air cast. Walking causes me minimal or no pain. My foot does get sore. This is most apparent at the end of the day after being on my feet. The part of my foot where the third and fourth metatarsal meets the cuneiform and cuboid is the area that bothers me the most. A few ibuprofen usually take care of the discomfort. My foot is always a little swollen. I am starting to come to the realization that it will probably never be the same size that it was before the injury, and that leads into the next strange coincidence between Rball Player and me. I wear a size ten shoe and it is my left foot that I injured so conceivable we could do a shoe swap. It actually might make sense for high ticket footwear.

Air travel advisory while using an air cast - Give yourself a little extra time. I just got back from a business trip. I was pulled aside during each of the four security check lines I was in. The security officers asked questions about my injury and my travel plans, frisked me, used additional metal detecting devices especially around my cast, and swabbed my shoe, cast and hands to look for traces of bomb making material. Not a big deal or a perceived infringement of my privacy...I'm just glad I wasn't running late.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:36 AM  
(male)

Locofoot HB User

Yesterday I had my doctors appointment and I left his office in my walking cast. X-rays were taken while I applied weight to my injured foot. After reviewing the x-rays my doctor decided to wait two more weeks before transitioning to a shoe. I was fit for an orthotic that will support my arch.

My doctor told me my Merrill Hiking boots would be good shoes to wear while transitioning out of the cast. He also recommended New Balance running shoes.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:45 AM  
(male)

RBall Player HB User

Hey Loco,

Two more weeks, huh? Hang tough and stay strong.

Based on your descriptions, I'm guessing your injury was more severe than mine. I didn't/haven't had any injury/pain issues on the outside of my foot - say from the 3-5 metatarsals. I tore the ligament between the 1st/2nd metatarsals and the 1st/2nd cuneiforms, but no broken bones. I have a screw from the 1st cuneiform to the 2nd metatarsal and a screw from the 2nd metatarsal to the 2nd cuneiform. Both of these are supposed to be permanent (still don't know about this, but I may be warming up to the idea).

I'm pretty much out of the boot/aircast at this point, and haven't worn it the last few days. My foot gets tired fairly easily and the sole under my arch gets a little sore when I push it (like on rehab days).

I'm surprised that your doctor is not recommending ANY phys therapy? The strengthening exercises definitely help, but the massage afterwards really does help loosen up the tight/tense areas, lessening the pain. I've never had any type of therapeutic massage until now - let's just say I'm a believer now.

I'm still doing the phys therapy 2 days/week, and next Dr appt is 11/5.

Oh - and I've wandered into the rball court again. My timing was waaaay off, but I haven't lost my forehand completely.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:29 AM  
(male)

Locofoot HB User

RBall Player,

It's great to hear that you are out of the aircast and into a shoe! I still have a little way to go until I reach that point, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have tried walking around my house with a hiking boot on my injured foot and it feels pretty good. My doctor is starting to prepare me for the possibility of another surgery to add more hardware to my foot. Hopefully this won't be necessary. We won't know until I am out of the air cast and into a shoe. If I can't do the things that used to be routine and the activities I enjoy doing then I will consider another surgery to fuse bones, but it is too early to waste time worrying about that now.

It sounds like my injury was more severe than yours. I ripped the lisfranc ligament across my entire foot, separating my forefoot from my midfoot.

Great news that you are wandering back in the Rball court. Keep up the progress and you'll be back in the tournament circuit in no time.