It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2002, 01:46 AM   #1

Lyndal Stuhr HB User
Post Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy

I had surgery on both feet 6-01 for heel spurs. The spurs are no problem now, but I still have alot of pain, especially the right foot. I have been wearing prx. orthodics for two months. My right ankle hurts all the time and makes a loud clicking sound when flexing it. Had more cortisone injections last week. Helped two days only! My Dr. says I have some scarring but has never had a patient with continuing pain this long after surgery. Taking Celebrex 400mg. daily, helps a little. Any ideas to help?

Old 02-07-2002, 05:44 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User
i feel your pain....literally. i had that surgery on my right foot about 5 years ago without success. my poditrist has referred me to a orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet. i believe this should be your next step(no pun intended).
mine tells me there is a more involved surgery that includes a removal of a nerve. i will be off work longer but the chances for success is much higher. a chance i am willing to take when i can afford to be off work this year. which won't be much longer since i can't take this pain much longer.
i think if your doc is telling you that he's never seen a nonsuccess with that surgery you had .....well i just think he is a liar. i've talked to too many doctors.
good luck.
kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2002, 12:25 PM   #3

bumbie37 HB User
Boy can I relate to foot problems. I havent had surgery. But I did do the therapy anti-inflamitory pills. I passed on the cortizone shots. Not a cure! I,ve got orthotics and feet have improved. Therapist said STRETCH feet every day. I lay down on my back and have my mate push my toes up toward my head. Feels great. try that morning and night. Also freeze a water filled pop bottle. (ribbed if you can find one) Roll that across bottom of feet. My feet have improved tremendously. Not quite 100% yet but outlook is good. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2002, 03:03 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User
yep, its important to get your feet stretched out and keep them that way. maybe you won't end up like me having to have surgery.
good luck
kat

Old 02-11-2002, 11:05 AM   #5

Lyndal Stuhr HB User
Smile

katkat: re: thankyou for the stretch advice. I am concentrating on that MORE. What is the best stretch exercise you have found?
Wed I am going to Dr. again to see if the Prx. orthodics may need an adjustment. I'm wondering if I had swelling (then or now) in the area that hurts the most. I also have a Siamese (she likes to edit my typing ha!

Old 02-16-2002, 11:44 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User
this isn't easy to describe without showing in person but i'll try. stand facing a stairs. step on the bottom step with only the front half of your foot. drop your heel in a downward angle. you will feel the stretch in the back of your leg. that is where you are supposed to feel it. hold this for 4-5 minutes and do it for 3 or 4 times a day.
did i mention i have a siamese?
kat

Old 02-16-2002, 11:46 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User
i forgot to mention that i have had the shoe inserts made especially for me. they didn't help but i guess it does help some people. when my doctor wanted me to go get them adjusted i did. they actully hurt worse after that so i threw them out.
kat

Old 02-18-2002, 12:35 AM   #8

Lyndal Stuhr HB User
KATKAT & BUMBIE re: Thank you for the stretch exercises, I have been doing some before, but maybe not enough.
Very good illustration. I will try that one on the stair, too.
Last Thurs. I saw the foot DR. I asked him if I should still be having pain in other parts of my body as the result of adjusting to the prx. orthodics? He said no, not this long. He advised that I look into Fibromyalgia as an underlying problem to my pain. Well, I looked it up on the Web & found that I have been having ALL of the symptoms for years!! Well, I am somewhat relieved to have all my problems linked together and actually have a NAME for them. I am in hopes that the Internal Medicine DR. that I see for High Bloodpressure can help me. I have an apt. with him later this week. I would like to know if anyone else with foot pains might have a similiar profile? I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks again. Lyndal

Old 02-18-2002, 12:46 AM   #9

Lyndal Stuhr HB User
KATKAT: I hope I will have better help with the inserts than you have. The Dr. made another casting of the right foot, since that one gives me more pain. He will send it back for adjustments. He told me "if you feel better without them stop using them". But when I told him I have had NO knee problems since wearing them he agreed to redo it. With the upper back pain & other pain he thought I should be checked for Fibromyalgia. I hope you get relief soon. Lyndal

Old 02-20-2002, 07:02 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User
oh lyndal, guess what? i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 5 years ago. you need to see a rhumatologist for a diagnosis. there is a fibro site on this healthboard as a matter of fact.
my right foot is worse than my left also, but not by much.
i will go on sick leave with in the next month for foot casting. i dread it.
kat

Old 02-22-2002, 12:31 AM   #11

Lyndal Stuhr HB User
Katkat: What does "casting" envolve? It sounds like you may be off your feet again for a while.
I went to the M.D. Dr. today. The reason I have not tried the Rhumatologist is that I do not insurance. I am trying to keep the expenses down. I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis of Fibro. What kind of meds. are you on for it? The Dr. put me on Amitriptyline 10mg. for sleep aid & Ultram 50mg. for pain. the pharmacist says it is also an anti-inflamitory. I was not clear if I should continue the Celebrex with it. Need to call Dr. tomorrow to find out. He said "let's try this for 2 mo. & see if it helps. He didn't seem to think the foot pain could be Fibro. related. What do you think? Lyndal

Old 02-23-2002, 10:45 AM   #12

bumbie37 HB User
Bumbie reporting back. My feet are giving me trouble still. Havent done the stair stretch in a while. Orthotics help some, but feet just plain ache! Heat, throbbing, etc. Little heel pain also. Feet tend to hurt when I stand on concrete. Can you tell me about this fibromyalgia? I,ve got some kind of problem besides the plantar fascita. I need help. thanks, Bumbie.

Old 02-23-2002, 03:22 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User
lyndal i used to take the amitriptyline but it caused me to gain so much weight and i had problems with it causing ....oh how can i say this , oh what the hell i'll come right out and say it...it made it hard for me to ***. lol it is know to cause sexual side effects and i didn't like that at all. so anyway i went off it. now i take 1/2 a melatonin at night before bed. you can get that at k-mart. i also take ultram with tyleno.(sp?) i take a NSAID drug to everyday called votaren. i take these for my fibro and feet. but to be honest if my feet were good i'd do without the meds most of the time unless i was really hurting in the back or hips and having muscle spasms. if i'm having a bad time with my back sometimes i will take flexeril a muscle relaxer for 3-5 nights in a row. i cannot take that stuff during the day because it puts me to sleep. i hate taking pills but have to for the pain. i could not get through my work day without them. i think i'm taking way too many so i decided to go with the casting.
the casting is just where the doc cast your foot like it was broke. i will be in one for 9 weeks (yuck!) it is supposed to give you muscles and tendons time to rest. if it doesn't work i will have surgery next. it is more involved than the endoscopic surgery i had before. i pray it works because i cannot continue working if it doesn't.
the foot problem you have may not BE fibro but people with fibro are more likely to have plantar fascitis.
bumbie there are lots of sites on the internet about firbromyalgia. go search for them . they will give you lots of information on it. as i said before this health board has a fibro site right above the foot problem choice.
kat

Old 02-28-2002, 01:53 PM   #14

bumbie37 HB User
Hey katkat, I think I,ve solved one of my problems. remember I said my feet were burning hot? I think its athletes foot. Bought some dr.scholls foot powder and tried it today. Feet didnt ache nearly as bad. going to take to work with me tomorrow and reapply at lunchtime. Also I remembered (the hard way) that the dr. said dont go a day without wearing orthotics. Thought I,d try foam in boots. Boy were my feet sore! Just like before treatment. Guess the orthotics are working. Going to try the naproxen again. Let me know if you hear about any miracle cures. Bye, Bumbie.

Old 02-28-2002, 04:58 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User
i will sure do that....and if you hear of anything you let me know too! i will come here now and again.
i start my casting on the 18th of march. gee i am dreading that. 9 weeks in a cast. yikes!
but if it helps it will be worth it.
kat

Closed Thread