It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
(female)

cosmic1 HB User
Post Bunion Stories Please

I had severe bunion corrections on both feet.
One was done 1 1/2 yrs ago and the other almost 2 yrs ago.
One foot had the great toe and the second toe bone cuts with an external fixation (the word is brutal) and the other foot had bone cuts to the great toe, the second toe, and the third toe with that brutal external fixation device.
Anyhow, I have been really, really curious about what my correction looks like.
This is as compared to what others with severe bunions or at least moderate bunions corrections look like.
I fit into shoes very well now and no longer have any pain issues.
One foot has the great toe very straight with a slight remaining bunion bump.
However, the other foot has the toe minimally angled toward second toe and the bump is definately larger than the other toe.
One would call it a bunion if they saw it.
HEY YOU ALL, WHAT DO YOUR FEET LOOK LIKE POST BUNION SURGERY?
And how well are you doing years later??

Old 10-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Post Bunion Stories Please

dont worry if you are not in pain.........it does not matter what it looks like

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
(female)

Mambito67 HB User

I am only 5 months post-op, but my toe is pretty darn straight. I had a moderate bunion (based on the angle measured by my pod) and had an austin bunionectomy. I have a very, very slight bump where the bunion used to be, but it is normal not to have the side of your foot completely flat. It is definitely flatter than my other foot though, where no bunion is present.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
(female)

KathJack HB User

I'm a year and a half post-op for a double bunionectomy (severe bunions). I have very slight bumps where the bunions used to be and my big toes still curve in a bit. My scars are almost imperceptible. To me, after years of ugly bunions and toes bent to about a 30 degree angle, my feet look beautiful! I was told before I had the surgery that my feet could have been corrected more easily/better if I hadn't waited twenty years too long, but I am still very pleased with the results. Long term effects were numbness (still have a wee bit; it continues to lessen) and [B]very[/B] slight stiffness. I still stand on my toes and bend them back and forth occasionally to keep them flexible. I have no pain and can walk for miles and miles and miles. (Well, maybe [I]that[/I] many-- but enough that my energy would give out long before my feet.) I don't need moleskin pads, I don't get blisters, I don't have to wear weird shoes. It's great!

Old 10-19-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

Well then, I guess mine are OK but could have been visually better.
I wonder about the external fixation device because on the foot done 1 and 1/2 yrs ago I still have brown marks where it was removed (they look like cigarette burns). My incision marks are barely visible.
I really, really waited too long.
My advice get it done sooner rather than later because mine were with me for at least 40 yrs b4 correction.
However, my walking is just wonderful and I REFUSE TO WEAR ANY OF THOSE SUEDE ROUND TOED WIDE SHOES.
My feet, though not visually perfect, are in flip flops constantly. I would never have worn them b4!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
(female)

RightFootMary HB User

Hi Cosmic - I know what you mean about the marks left from the external screws for the fixation. I had severe bunion surgery repair (Lapidus) just a year ago. My pod wanted to do the external fixation but when he went to do it the bones shifted so he had to do internal with one external screw through the top of my foot. I was NWB for 8 weeks. I wound up with two marks on the side of my foot where he tried the external and one on the top from the screw he did use. That mark on the top of my foot is a brown mark that has faded some but is still visible. The two side marks (that he wasn't able to use) have pretty much faded (but I can still see where they were).

As for the straightness of the big toe - it's not as straight as I thought it would be but it's 100% better then it was. The pod said it is better to be a little under corrected then to be over corrected (maybe that's just a "line" I don't know) but I'm happy with the outcome. Now the other foot that was not nearly as bad looks horrible. I don't really have any pain but I know the foot that was done had a lot of arthritis and I know I have to get the other one done. I'm already 58 and have had these as long as I can remember so maybe in the next year or so I will get the other one done.

Hang in there.

Mary in NY

Old 10-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #7
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

That is exactly it brown marks.
However, I had six external fix pins in one foot so you can imagine how that looks!
I am your age too. I had the second foot done. This may sound silly but I was way past the pain issue with these feet.
My bone on the great toe was mostly non vital (the POD) told me.
My problem was joints separating when I would do much walking.
It would imobilize me temporarily.
I had to have the first foot done because the second toe (long bone) was dislocating from the socket and it was literally pushing out of the bottom of my foot. POD said post surgery tht it was 6 mos from "blowing the socket" and that would have created a huge problem.
I had no idea that this was the problem with the pain at the bottom of the foot.
So, you know when people say just wait until the pain is really bad and then get the surgery.
I am not sure that it is the correct approach.
I think that i waited too long and ended up with a much larger mess to correct!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
(female)

Heather13 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Post Bunion Stories Please

[QUOTE=KathJack;3264838]I was told before I had the surgery that my feet could have been corrected more easily/better if I hadn't waited twenty years too long, but I am still very pleased with the results. [/QUOTE]

The world of podiatrists and podiatric surgeons is SO gray... I don't know who to believe or what to think.
My current podiatrist says that surgery for my bunions should be left until absolutely necessary. He says that if I were to get surgery done, not only is it risky (because of possible nerve damage, and all those other dangers) but since I'm young (26) I have many years ahead where the bunions might recur. This is a real possibility because surgery doesn't really correct the problem, it just alleviates the pain and fixes the angle of the toe. (Usually bunions are formed because of a problem with a person's gait, which can't be solved by surgery, only corrected with orthotics)

Apparently the medical world is trying to develop an artificial joint that replaces the abnormal joint, and thus realigns the toe, and alleviates the pain. This way no bones are cut and shortened, your foot anatomy remains more natural. Of course, this option isn't available yet.

When I talked to a couple podiatric surgeons, they say the opposite. Better to get it done sooner, so the joint doesn't develop arthritis because it doesn't move properly. (This sounds like what you were told)

It's a real pain in the butt not knowing what to do, and having different professionals tell you different things. Basically the decision is left up to the patient! I'm not the one who has studied podiatry and related surgeries! Why can't things be more black and white?

Anyway, I'm just frustrated.
Maybe God will give me a sign? LoL

Last edited by Heather13; 10-24-2007 at 02:00 PM.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #9
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

I felt the same way. I wish that I could know all of the things that I needed to know about my feet...really understood things like a POD.
I would say that you are young enough yet that your feet will not disintigrate!
However, once you are 40 that is when you should seriously consider having something done. But, everyone is different.
Besides pain there are other things too.
I had to wear athletic shoes that were a size and a half too large for my feet.
I tripped because of this and almost broke my ankle.
I had to see a doctor for something else several weeks after that fall and the bruise was still huge. He said "what is that?"
That was one of the turning points where I said to myself this is enough!
I look at people's feet in sandals and when I see straight feet it makes me a little angry about it all.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #10
(female)

Heather13 HB User

Yes, I see what you mean.

I get a bit jealous and angry when I see women wearing cute "foot candy" and while it's not really good for ANYONE'S feet to be in heels, I can barely wear heels for more than a couple hours for a special occassion because my bunions get too sore.
I love ballroom dancing, and have nice dresses, but can only wear (a low heel) dress shoe for so long, then I change to a sneaker. It's a bit embarassing, I know people just think I'm a slob with no fashion sense, they don't know I have foot problems.

Things could always be worse, there's plenty of other health problems I wouldn't trade my bunions for... but it's still frustrating to watch other women walking around in their pretty little shoes. Shoes definitely complete an outfit. Since I can't wear nice shoes, I have little enthusiasm to wear nice clothes... it's jeans and t-shirts for me!

I appreciate you sharing your story.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i think the shoe thing is the most frustrsting thing in the world. nobody understands and jealousy will always be there when we see other women wearing great shoes with good looking feet.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
(female)

misfish90 HB User

Heather - the docs can't feel your pain or know your pain level or how much those lovely bunions are inhibiting your lifestyle. That's why you have to be the one to make the incision (oops, I mean decision - was that a Freudian slip or what?!).

And oh... to be able to wear that "foot candy!" (Love that term!) I'm actually contemplating wearing my one pair of heels - a whole whopping 2 inches! - now that I'm a year past surgery. But I haven't worked up the courage yet

Closed Thread