It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2001, 10:41 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Carey HB User
Post Compartment Syndrome of the feet

Has anyone ever suffered from compartment syndrome of the feet? I have suffered from this twice, once in each foot on the inner arches. It is a condition where there is too much pressure within a muscle compartment. The lining of the muscle does not expand for the muscle which then causes extreme problems.

The symptoms that i experienced were extreme pain when i would put pressure on my feet (even standing) it felt like my feet were going to rip in half. Numb and cold toes as the circulation was being suppressed by the bulging muscle, swelling and cramping on the inner arches. I tried all conservative treatments from 4 pairs of orthotics, massaging, taping, accupuncture, you name it but nothing helped. I ended up having surgery on both feet to release the pressure. It was a total success, and I thought at 20 years of age, all my foot troubles were over until now, 12 months later and i have the exact same symptoms of compartment syndrome in both feet again. I've seen my surgeon and he says that he could do the same procedure again because we know that it works, but it can get to the same point of where i am now. so he suggested to remove 50% of the muscle in the arches of my feet.

He is the top surgeon in my state and says that this syndrome is very rare to occur in the foot, and that i am his only patient who has it.

Just wondering if anyone out there can relate?

Take care
Carey

[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 06-15-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2002, 08:48 AM   #2

sarah hiser HB User
Hi Carey,
I've been looking for someone to talk to that has had muscle compartment syndrome of the feet. I'm very active, I play tennis for my high school and I'm always doing something. A couple of months ago I was jumping rope and hurt my feet. On my right foot I had a pretty good size bulge on my arch below my ankle and a smaller one in the same place on my left foot. I've seen three doctors about my problem and although none of them had seen anything like it, two of them suspected it to be muscle compartment syndrome of the feet. As far as basic treatment goes, I've stopped playing tennis or doing a large amount of exercise that would be tough of my feet and I've gone through two rounds of physical therapy including ultrasound and stem. The next step my doctor suggested was getting orthotics but if they don't work then he said that I should look into surgery. The only thing that worries me is that he said he had never performed a surgery like the one he would be doing on me and couldn't gaurantee any amount of success. I guess I was wondering if you could fill me in on how they tested for muscle compartment syndrome, the procedure and how long the recooperation period was. I was also wondering if you are an athlete and your feet hurt you after you do activites or if your feet hurt you doing the normal everyday tasks. I would love to hear from you.
Thanks,
Sarah

Old 06-15-2002, 01:59 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Carey HB User
Hi Sarah,

Sorry i didn't respond to your post earlier, but i havn't checked with this site for a very long time because no one ever responded. Take care

Carey

[Please do not post e-mail addresses. Thanks, Mod 3]

[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 06-15-2002).]

Old 06-27-2002, 01:24 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Carey HB User
Hey Sarah,

Are you still out there? Haven't heard from you.

Take care,
Carey

Old 06-27-2002, 04:22 PM   #5

sarah hiser HB User
Hey Carey,
Sorry I'm still here I was just on vacation. The latest news with me is that they are scheduling testing for muscle compartment syndrome next month. I was wondering if you can tell me about the testing process you went through. I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks,
Sarah

Old 06-28-2002, 12:47 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Carey HB User
Hi Sarah,

Hope you had a good vacation.

with the muscle compartment pressure testing, my doctor got me to walk on an electrical treadmil in his office and i had to walk on it until the pain was at its worst. this is vital for the testing because the most pressure within your muscle compartment is tested immediately. i then had to rush over and lay on the exam table where a needle that is about 10cm long (no joke) is attached to a pressure gauge. the needle was then pushed further into the compartment to measure where the most pressure is. the needle was kept in my foot for a total of 15 minutes because it took that long until the pressure decreased, which meant that i was a perfect match for having compartment syndrome!

I forgot to tell you that you get some anaesthetic sprayed onto the area where the needle is inserted, but it is quite painful when the needle keeps getting pushed deeper and deeper into the muscle compartment. But every one is different, you may only need the needle in for a couple of minutes depending on how long it takes for the pressure to decrease. You'll have a lovely bruise for a few days, but thats really all i can tell you, based on what happend to me.
Good luck, my advice is don't look at the needle and you will be alright.

keep me posted, i hope you still have my email address because this board no longer allows you to post them, but i still have yours so i can keep in contact with you that way.

Take care,
Carey

Old 07-15-2002, 06:40 PM   #7

sarah hiser HB User
hi Carey,
I was wondering which muscle in your foot was affected by muscle compartment syndrome.
Thanks,
Sarah

Old 07-15-2002, 08:04 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Carey HB User
Hi Sarah,

I'm not sure what the exact technical name for it is but it is in the inner arch, or the side of the inside of the foot if that makes any sense.
Take care,
Carey

Old 07-22-2002, 08:01 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Carey HB User
Hi Sarah,

let me know how you went with your compartment pressure testing. hope your not in too much pain, and keep me posted.

Take care,
Carey

Old 07-25-2002, 09:33 PM   #10

sarah hiser HB User
Hi carey,
well now they think that it's not compartment syndrome, they have no idea what it is. I have this huge bulge on the inside of my foot, they think it's some sort of muscle hernia.
So I'm going to get better custom orthotics and if those don't work I have two choice, have experimental surgery or just live with it, which is going to be hard considering the tennis season is about to start. Thanks for the insight, I'll make sure to keep you posted on what they find.
Thanks,
Sarah

Old 08-06-2002, 04:09 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Carey HB User
Hi Sarah,

It's horrible when they don't know what it is that is wrong with you. please keep me posted on what's happening.

Take care,
Carey

Closed Thread