It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
(female)

CTmom HB User
foot pain advice?

I posted awhile back and had hoped to be better by now but am not and need some advice.

I was diagnosed in late August with sesamoiditis by my podiatrist after I suddenly awoke one day with pain and swelling in the ball of my foot. X-rays done both in August and today have been normal. Since then I could not wear shoes and have been in a cam walker which is reasonably comfortable. I can walk barefooted, but cautiously and bearing weight on the outside of my foot. I have been wearing the boot, tried a cortisone injection which didn't help at all and today received orthotics, which seem to put even more pressure on the sore area (although I really like the way they feel on my other foot!) Anyway, I am getting frustrated by my doctor's conservative approach. He always says I am doing better but I don't feel I am. I still can't walk normally or go about my daily activities without pain and exercise is out of the question. The initial swelling has gone down but the pain really hasn't changed much since day 1.

After two months I am getting frustrated and am not sure what to do next. I would like to get a second opinion but hate the thought of starting all over again with a new doctor. Should I see an orthopedist this time? Is there some other test I can request which might show exactly what is going on here? My podiatrist "thinks" it is the medial sesamoid but since nothing shows on x-rays I feel like he's guessing. He talked about possible surgery for removal of the sesamoid if things don't improve with time but how much time is reasonable? I could really use some advice from others who have gone through this. Does this really get better over time and am I just being impatient? Is it normal for orthopedics to make the problem even worse before things get better? I don't want to be a difficult patient but have been following instructions to the letter and just am not happy with my lack of progress. Any advice or stories you can share would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread