It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2002, 01:19 PM   #1

HennyT HB User
Post Posterior tibial tendon surgery

In early June I began to experience pain in the tendon that runs behind the inside bump on the ankle, across the instep, and attaches to the navicular bone on the inside of the foot and into the bottom of the foot. This tendon supports the arch. After no reduction of pain was achieved by my wearing a boot and taking Celebrex for a month, the doctor ordered an MRI which showed the tendon to be torn down the middle. Fortunately, the tendon is still attached at both ends and no graft is required.

In a couple of weeks the doctor (an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine) will do surgery to sew the tendon back together. He says that I will need to wear the boot for another month after surgery and then have physical therapy. If any of you have had a similar surgery or other treatment for a tear of this particular tendon, I would appreciate hearing of your experience with it.

Old 08-25-2002, 10:44 AM   #2

PLE HB User
Hi HennyT:

Well I can sympathize. I ruptured my posterior tibial tendon after having been diagnosed with bilateral post. tibial tendon dysfunction and had it repaired with a tendon from my baby toe. I was on crutches a couple weeks with mine and a cast for 4 wks. It turned out great. When the same tendon in my other foot started giving out and fraying, they went in and repaired it with great success. Due to my ongoing problems with my tendons (due to flatfeet), I have been taken a step further to have a calcaneous osteotomy (bone graft and plating) done to reshape the position of my left foot to help save the tendons from fraying and/or rupturing again. Good Luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2002, 01:15 PM   #3

HennyT HB User
Hello PLE,

Thanks for your prompt reply concerning posterior tibial tendon surgery. It was very encouraging to hear of your successful surgeries, but the calcaneous osteotomy sounds very complex and painful. A couple of weeks ago I saw your message of 7-23-02, and it sounded like a long healing process. Surely hope you are progressing better now.

After your tendon surgeries were you fitted for any sort of orthotics to lift your arches or help with flat feet? And did you have much physical therapy? Good luck with your recovery!

Old 08-26-2002, 04:36 PM   #4

PLE HB User
Thumbs up

Hi Henny: Thanks for inquiring on my updated status. I posted again on 8/20 regarding my gastro tendon lengthening. I had the surgery to put a plate and 5 screws in to hold the calcaneous fx and had both gastroc tendons in my calves lengthened. I am 2 wks out. On crutches for 8 wks yet and long recovery ahead.

However, with regards to my bilateral repair of my posterior tib tendons, I did have specially made orthotics for my shoes which helped greatly. I did not do PT after the first surgery, but did after the second and it helped alot. They did ultrasound heat therapy and exercises. I recommend it. Good Luck and please do not hesitate to keep in touch.

Closed Thread