It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

Sherilynkim HB User
Physical Therapy for Cheilectomy

I had a cheilectomy two weeks ago and my Doctor stressed the importance of physical therapy. However, I was not able to get a physical therapy appointment until next Thursday (three weeks post-op). Can anyone tell me what types of exercises I am supposed to be doing so I can start them? My Doctor said that when I come in for my next appointment, He wants to see flexibility. But my doctor's appointment is only five days after my physical therapy appointment. Please Help!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Physical Therapy for Cheilectomy

Pull toe straight out slowly but firmly. Then move up and down. Do MANY times a day. That's all they told me to do after mine and it worked wonders.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
(female)

Sherilynkim HB User

Thanks Titchou. I am glad to have something I can work on before my therapy appointment.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You can also pick up stuff with your toes...washcloth, marbles, etc. But the pulling and moving is what really keeps the joint from getting stiff.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
(male)

colby88 HB User

I had a Cheilectomy 2 months ago and after my post-op appt. (2 weeks after surgery) my Dr. told me to do Physical Therapy for an hour everyday. Basically, I slowly pull the big toe straight out and then move it up and down.
I do it myself.
It's still stiff in the a.m. and a bit sore under the forefoot but each day it improves. I'm back in regular shoes and walking the dog for an hour everyday as well. Try to walk as normally as you can. It's hard to do at first but force yourself.
I hope to run again but that's on hold for now!

Old 10-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
(female)

Sherilynkim HB User

I also am looking forward to running again. I actually ran a marathon last October and then hurt myself two month later, falling while doing a morning run. This injury was the cause for the cheilectomy. I haven't been running since and have gained a few pounds.

I have been trying the toe exercises. Is the hour per day all at one time or spread out during the day? I read somewhere to do it for 5 minutes every hour. I am also experiencing numbness on the top of my big toe as well as over the incision area. I can't move my toe much without using my hand, so I can't pick anything up with my toes yet.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

I can relate to the weight gain with no running! And you're only 2-3 weeks out from surgery...your incision cite should feel strange at this point. I hate to say it but you're probably 2 months away from running. Shaquille O'Neal was out for about 10 weeks with his. As for the amount of time for the exercises, they just told me to do it whenever I was sitting and had time to do it. So it was probably 5 minutes or so every hour or so. And the movement up is most important as you need to be able to roll up off that foot. I don't have as much ROM down but I don't really need it. Oh, and I do take 2 Aleve every morning - and two before I go dance or jog in the evening. (Wish I had my Vioxx back)

Old 10-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

when i did pt at home i was told all through the day so it is spread out. i think the flexibility comes back faster that way.

Closed Thread