It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2002, 06:47 AM   #1

Tori39 HB User
Post Birkenstock shoes for planta fascitis....

I have what I believe to be plantar fascitis. I've begun doing the recommended stretching excercises which have helpedl...to my surprise. I had also read on the internet about Birkenstock shoes/sandals being helpful for this condition so I decided to give it a try. I got a pair off ebay for a really, really good price. Birkenstocks are very expensive. Anyway, they came yesterday and I'm wearing them today. I know it's too soon to tell if they'll make a difference but I was wondering if anyone else had ever tried Birkenstocks for plantar fascitis and if they had any success. Thanks!

Old 09-13-2002, 01:12 PM   #2
Inactive

oceanbreeze1 HB User
Yes, I have plantar fasciitis also & I purchased birkenstock sandals from ebay too. They do help since they have the arch support you need. I use mine around the house mostly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2002, 10:28 AM   #3

Tori39 HB User
Do you remember the first time you wore the Birkenstocks? Did your feet hurt at the end of the day? The brochure that came with mine said there is a wearing in period and that a person would be using some muscles they hadn't before. The first day I wore mine my feet hurt more at the end of that day than if I had gone barefoot all day. I haven't given up on them but I wondered if that was your experience the first time you wore yours for an extended period of time.

Old 09-18-2002, 06:52 PM   #4
Inactive

oceanbreeze1 HB User
I really can't remember if I had a problem with them. I think I started out slow, maybe 30 min at a time for a few days. I bought the wrong size to start with so that didn't do me much good either. Some days they really feel hard, even now. I hope you have good luck with yours.

Old 09-19-2002, 07:48 PM   #5

berto HB User
i wear birkenstocks for pian in the ball of the foot - help tremendously. My podiatrist said hard to find any shoes better designed for the feet than birkenstocks. Expensive--- you bet----- worth it------you bet

Old 10-03-2002, 08:11 PM   #6

JanetLee HB User
I had plantar fascitis a few years ago. The only shoes I could walk in were Birkenstocks. In fact I think they are the most comfortable shoes around. I did not even need a "breaking" in period. They felt great from the start. I don't know if they did anything to cure my plantar fascitis but they did enable me to be mobile during my acute phase. It has since disappeared--thank God!

Old 10-20-2002, 04:21 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User
there is a website called heelspurs.com the people there told me about a place to order birkenstocks dirt cheap. about 1/4 of the price of buying in america. i forgot the website but if you go there and ask they will tell you.
kat

Old 10-23-2002, 05:24 AM   #8

action HB User
I wear Birkenstocks all the time - I dont think I could wear anything else any more. I have clogs for winter and roman sandals (several pairs of each!) for summer. The really important thing is to get the right size! If you have the wrong size then I would imagine that there would be more discomfort than if they were properly fitted and the store will be good at advising you of correct fit. I find that when I go from clogs to sandals and vice versa it takes a little while for my feet to feel "normal" again and I have developed the occasional blister but after a couple of days I feel like I dont have shoes on at all.

Closed Thread