It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
Bunionectomy - Keller Procedure Question

I am going to have the Keller Procedure done Nov. 9th. Does anyone know how long the pins stay in? Feel free to share your advice and experience. I am a little nervous. I got a staph infection a year ago when my ankle was fused (MSSA). I am afraid of it coming back.
Thanks for anything you can tell me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
(female)

Brit_Gal HB User
Re: Bunionectomy - Keller Procedure Question

Hi I am assuming this is the procedure where they insert pins down the toe to hold them straight and then remove them. This is what I had done and the procedure name sounds familar (I can never remember all the names they use ) I had the the surgery done and then the stitches removed after about 10-11 days. The pins then came out another four weeks later so they were in for approximately 6 weeks altogether, these pins were the ones that are removed by simply pulling them out and not further surgery. I also had the big toe fused at the same time.

Hope this helps if you have any more questions post away and i will try to help you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
(female)

janieab HB User

You can read my posts from the Keller Procedure I had done on my big toe 11/05. I did not have success with the surgery because it shortened my toe greatly and it was floppy (that is what the Keller does). I was in my mid 40's then and my research afterwards says that it is usually performed on somebody elderly. Of course since I had problems walking with it because I had "walking problems" from it that I would never want even an elderly person experience that because they could fall. It makes you very unsteady and difficult wearing shoes. I ultimately had a bone graft with fusion with success. Back to your question.....I was allowed to bear weight with a surgical shoe (I used a cam walker). I had no pins to stick out. I had pins in my other toes for various surgeries and they typically stay in 4-6 weeks. Every doctor is different. The pins (K-wire) stick out the end of the toe and is bent and when it is time for the pin to be removed then the doctor just slides it out. Good luck with your surgery. With any foot surgery you need to rest it, elevate and ice it for the first few days. Do as the doctor says!
Janie

Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Thank you for the replies.
When I spoke with my surgeon regarding my concern of not being able to push off with my toe, he said because my ankle is fused it if a moot point.
I'm not totally convinced this is true. I am only 36 and have a goal of going to Disney World in a year or two.
Thanks again!
Step

Old 10-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
(female)

Stitcher317 HB User

Step -

Ffor waht it's worth, I've had 4 opinions on what to do about my Hallux Rigidus. All recemmend the Keller for me as I have very little cartilege. I am 65 but very active and try to power walk about 45 min. per day. All reassured me that today the procedure is done a little different than 20 yrs ago with tendon release, etc and they all said they would make inserts post-op to assist with the "push-off" problem. No one mentioned any pins, wires, screws, etc.

I'll be watching your posts to see how you make out. I am back in Fla for the winter now and the more rigid my toe gets, the less it hurts so I have been putting this off for some time. I would love to be able to wear sandals and dress shoes for a short time without pain. Just too busy to sit still for the recovery! One Dr. told me about 3 weeks and the latest Dr told me to plan on being off my foot as much as possible for minimum of 2 weeks....and expect a 4-6 week recovery period.

Good luck....

Old 11-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
(female)

Stitcher317 HB User

To Stepbystep89.

Well, How did your procedure go? did you end up the the Keller Procedure? Any screws, wires, etc. How uncomfortable are you at this point.

I was referred by a friend here in Fla to a younger POD (female) who recommend I have an implant. Not metal. She claims she has never had a bad result and has been in practice for 11 years....I really liked her approach. Claims recovery is quick and I would be in sneakers within 10 days. Of course if I have a problem the only recourse is a fusion ......Like most surgeons, you do the procedure you have the best results with. My concern is that fact that they can wear out and need replacing in 10 years....

Does anyone have any feedback on these implants.....I believe they are made of some sort of plastic......

Hope you are doing well step....

Closed Thread