It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
(female)

clare54 HB User
how long should i be off work for following a fusion for hallux rigidus

how long should i be off work for following a fusion for hallux rigidus

Old 10-21-2007, 06:09 AM   #2
(female)

clare54 HB User
Re: how long should i be off work for following a fusion for hallux rigidus

Depends on what sort of job you do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
(male)

john125 HB User

I had both feet done in May of this year...went back to work ( I work in Jaguar )In late August but was only in work for three weeks when the fusion on my left foot broke. so go back when the docs say it's ok, it's usual after 6 to 8 weeks depending on your job, if you'r on your feet all day take a bit longer.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
(female)

clare54 HB User
Talking Re: how long should i be off work for following a fusion for hallux rigidus

Many thanks for your swift reply John. Sorry to hear about your bad experience, hoping you're on the road to recovery now. I work as a nurse in a psychiatric hospital in an intensive environment and to be honest, am terrified of going back to work in case i get it knocked etc. Have only had the op done two weeks ago but was maybe thinking i may be able to go back pretty soon, am now not going to rush it and give myself plenty of time to recover.
Many thanks again.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

are you in a cast? what does your dr say and i think its too soon.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:25 AM   #6
(female)

clare54 HB User

Thanks Debbie. No am not in a cast, my consultant says he feels the heeling process is better without. He did say about 8 wks, however, he also said my body would tell me when its ready. I have never had a days sick in my life, so i suppose im just trying to justify being absent. Anyway after seeing the nurse today, she reminded me that, in my job, i could very easily get it knocked and has told me i am certainly justified in being off. So, the morale of my story is, stop feeling guilty and listen to what everyone is telling me!!!!!!
Many thanks

Old 10-22-2007, 06:57 AM   #7
(male)

john125 HB User

Always remember Clare...the Doctors and employers do not have your feet on their legs, you are the one who has the pain not them, plus you still have your special shoe and are on crutches for a bit yet and health and safety in the workplace does not look favourably on crutches.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:21 AM   #8
(female)

clare54 HB User

Thanks John.
My employers are leaving me alone but didnt want to give them any justification for having a go at me. My husband goes potty with me when i talk about going back to work!
I started with hallux rigidus just after my eldest son was born(hes nearly 17 now) and have carried on all these years with the pain, so, i will be listening to the voices of experience and taking as much time as i need off work.
How are you doing now??? Are you back at work again yet?
Wishing you all the best and thanks again.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:38 AM   #9
(male)

john125 HB User

That's a long time in your type of work to be suffering...I am of work at the moment because the fusion broke in my left foot and it keeps swelling so I have to go back in on the 9th November to get the op done again with the poss of a bone graft to the fusion site if the bone is to badly eroded...but I have to say you will still have some pain from the operation site for a while even after you have gone back to work, I started to get it in the small joint of my big toes due to that joint having to do all the work so you may also get this...I am now realy fed up doing the ironing

Old 10-23-2007, 02:21 AM   #10
(female)

clare54 HB User

Cannot believe what you are having to put up with, it must be sheer agony.
Could you feel it break? How did it happen? Have your employers been sympathetic with you? Also cannot believe you are doing the ironing thats one household chore my husband enjoys, thank god.
Have only been in my job for ten years and only moved into intensive about 2 years ago,however, it was becoming increasingly difficult if i had to get to an emergency in a hurry or dealing with a particularly violent person, hoping thats all a worry in the past now and i dont have any more of that sort of pain.
I now know that i cannot go back to work in a hurry and in my job, as you can imagine, it gets extremely busy at christmas and that worries me somewhat. Certain colleagues have told me not to return to work until after christmas but im not sure i can do that.
Anyway, massive thanks again for your swift reply. Why are you having to wait so long to have the op again,i thought it would and should be a priority????
Enjoy the ironing
Thanks

Old 10-23-2007, 04:44 AM   #11
(male)

john125 HB User

I only get pain if I wear tight shoes and walk for any length of time...don't know how it broke but I have a feeling it was riding my bike and pushing off with my left foot, the upper foot area gets a lot of the strain when pushing off...work has not been to bad, I have to phone them up once a week, I have been in Jaguar/Ford for 34years on the production side so like you I am on my feet all day...not good when you have oa in your feet. Six weeks after the op I had an xray which showed the fusion as taken and the two bones were together then about 3 weeks ago my foot started to swell to the extent that I could not get my shoe on, I went for an xray and it showed the big toe had seperated from the foot so I have been off since 4th of this month and will not be going back till after Xmas

Old 10-23-2007, 06:13 AM   #12
(female)

clare54 HB User

I had an xray the day after my op and last week i had my stitches removed, my consultant said he doesnt need to see me for another 2 months, so, i may not be able to return to work until after i see him again, to check the fusion has taken.
Guess i wont be going cycling for a while though, ouch!!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #13
(female)

nemo99 HB User

Hi, I had a fusion op nearly 3 weeks ago and am going back to work tomorrow, just to see how it goes. But, my job is sedentary and they are sending a taxi for me; I think I'll be better off at work because my colleagues are eager to fetch and carry for me (I'm in charge of a dept and it's getting near bonus time!) and there are no stairs to bother about, unlike at home. I'm seeing the doctor again on Monday, as the wound is a bit slow to heal just in one small place. Depending on how that goes I'll then continue on with work, although I'll probably also work from home on some days.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

I'd like to get back on my bike in a few weeks.....have some very rigid cycling shoes....

Old 11-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #14
(female)

clare54 HB User

Hi and thank you for your reply. Hope you get on ok when you go back to work, you must let me know. Unfortunately our policy at work is we can only wear shoes(for obvious reasons) and at the minute i still cannot even get my trainer on my op foot, so itll be a bit longer for me im afraid.
I must say my employers are being very good with me and im not getting any pressure to return yet, however, that doesnt stop me feeling guilty at being off for such a long time.
Make sure they look after you at work, at least you have the luxury of sitting down and being in charge.
Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
Thanks!

Old 11-03-2007, 03:14 AM   #15
(female)

clare54 HB User

Hi there, just wanted to say good luck for your forthcoming surgery. Am sure everything will be fine this time. Please let us know how you get on.
Good luck and best wishes.

Closed Thread