It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ladybuggy02 HB User
new Dr.app

Hi, its been awhile sence I've posted. i'm not sure if you remember me.but i have severe flexable flat feet and my ankles are cumbling...i went to the ped.and got all sorts of orthopdics that did nothing but creat more prob. and then i went to the ortho. and he wants to do an evans colunm legthening with the bone graphs on both my feet he does not use a bone bank he doesn't feel it is as sucessfull as graphing... any way i went to my reg dr. and he said it is such a major couple of surgerys to get a second opionion.although he really likes the ortho i'm going to. so i finnally got an app. at a very well known hospital. and its on tuesday we are traveling 5 hours for this app. my dh is taking time off i want to make the most of this app. the Dr.(it says dr. and also DPM what is that?) is in poditry and surgery and he is a md he sp. in foot and ankle pain and instablity ...i'm soo hoping he has some nonenvasive ideas for me
i need some ideas on what to ask while i'm there i'm bringing all of my orthodics , my x-rays (although i guess he will take his own ) and a list of what i'm doing now to help my pain like heatting pads ace raps etc... anyone with ideas would be great!! what should i ask him so i know he really knows what he is taking about?
Thanks ladybuggy02

Last edited by ladybuggy02; 10-21-2007 at 11:06 AM.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ladybuggy02 HB User
Re: new Dr.app

anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

Ask, without any hesitation how many of these surgeries he/she has done?
That would be the type of surgery he recommends for you.
I did this pre severe bunion surgery and one POD told me two!! of my type of surgeries and the other 33................
Board certification for sure
What facilities the surgery is done in.
The better the hospitals and surgical centers that they use does reflect their status in the medical community

Old 10-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
(female)

sunny77 HB User

Ladybuggy02,
Assuming he recommends surgery, I would write down (or have him) the names of the procedures, to explain exactly what is entailed, how long the recovery period, how long would you be non-weightbearing/in a cast/walking boot/etc., if the Evans procedure is done--bone bank graft or from your leg/hip, success rates, complications you could see...And Cosmic1 had some good points too. See what your gut feeling is with this dr and with the first one.

DPM=doctor of podiatric medicine. They're not medical doctors, but are trained specifically in treating disorders of the foot, conservatively and surgically. An orthopedic surgeon is a medical doctor who may or may not have special training on foot/ankle issues.

I had surgery last May, including the Evans osteotomy and posterior tibial tendon repair, and am doing pretty well now, 5 months later. My other foot is doing poorly and I will likely have to undergo the same stuff on that side, but there has to be at least 6 months between the 2 procedures to allow the other to heal more fully. It is tough surgery and the journey is long...but so far I'd say it's worth it (pain gone, walking normally...). There is only so much that can be done non-invasively or conservatively...then it's time for surgery to hopefully fix it permanently. Good luck as you have your 2nd opinion! Take notes and let us know how it goes!
Krista

Old 10-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ladybuggy02 HB User

hi Thanks so much for the replies !I just got back from getting my x-rays and also my medical records from the 2 previous dr. we leave very early in trhe am so hopefully that will give me time to think of any thing else. i'm going to try and have it typed out i get so nervous that i'm afraid i'll forget something.i'm hoping ( prob. beyond hope) that he will have a non surgical quick fix for me

well i'll let you know tomarrow thanks!
ladybuggy02

Old 10-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User

There are podiatric surgeons in Washington State with VERY GOOD recommendations. Who are you seeing? Where? In Seattle? Swedish or Harborview or Virginia Mason? I have done extensive research on the various podiatric surgeons. Most of the good ones teach the up and coming few who are selected into the program. After 4 years of podiatric school, they do another 3-4 years of surgical residency. Make sure your doc is board certified. Good luck. Sophie

Old 10-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ladybuggy02 HB User

i hope this is ok to post but i'm going to virigina mason..issaquah.
have you been there?
ladybuggy02

Old 10-22-2007, 08:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I have heard that Brian McInnes is good but he is downtown now. He is good.

Last edited by hopalong_too; 10-22-2007 at 08:17 PM.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
(female)

debincalif HB Userdebincalif HB User

I had the Evans procedure with posterior tibial tendon repair done in March and all seems to be well with it now. The doctor who did my surgery was also an MD/DPM who specializes in foot/ankle pain & instability.

You have some good advice on what to ask your doctor, but I would throw in asking him if you might be a candidate for an MBI implant (or similar). It's less intrusive than the osteotomy, but it works well for some people. You can search for it on the web.

Also ask if he wants you to have both feet done at once (holy moly, I can't even IMAGINE) or what the time frame would be. If you can do one at a time, I (personally) would try to schedule them no less than 9 months apart. It takes 9-12 months to fully recover from the surgery.

Good luck to you,
Deb

Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

sorefootsophie HB User

Yes, I know it. It's right around the corner! I hope it is Brian McInnes you are seeing. He is not my doc but he is board certified and was voted one of the "best doctors in Seattle" in Seattle magazine. If I ever need a second opinion, he is the one I would see. He hangs in the same circle as my doctor. I like the Virginia Mason too. I know people there. Good luck! Too bad you have to travel so far. Sophie

Ladybuggy, I just checked and it appears Brian McInnes has gone to the main Seattle Virginia Mason. I don't know Eric Heit (now in Issaquah) but it appears that he was board certified in 2007.

Last edited by sorefootsophie; 10-22-2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: more information added

Old 10-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

ladybuggy02 HB User

just a quick note i had a good app. he is really nice and actually checked my feet and every thing ...long story when i get home short story is i have 2 walking casts for one month then i'll call them and let them know how i'm doing then in the spring i think i will prob. do the mba inmplant any way long drive home i'll post in a few days thanks for the help!!

Closed Thread