It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2003, 09:13 AM   #1

JetService HB User
Post Frozen toes

As a kid, I used to play hockey on frozen ponds. I was notorious for my fingers and toes freezing and numbing regardless of precautions. I never knew why; it just happend everytime. They would get numb, turn white (and in some cases, my toes would turn purplish-white). When I got home, I would to warm them. I was always in extreme agony during this process and a hot shower was out of the question for hours because of the intense pain. When warm, my hands and feet would swell a little, turn bright red, and then finally go back to normal. Well, I'm 36 now and stopped playing outside. However, I still have this tendency. I can go out to shovel snow and my toes will get numb. I can sit in a cold house with a draft, and they numb just from that. Its been happening a lot the last month or so, but not to the extent above. They just numb, turn white, then I warm them with little pain. But now I notice two small blister-like sores; one on each foot. One is on the tip of my big-toe on the right foot, and the other is on the middle toe on the left foot. These are not open sores, but almost look like small burns. They are extremely tender to the touch. I'm worried I actually got a mild case of frostbite. Does that sound like symptoms consistent of this? If so, what should I do? Let it heal or go to a doctor. They are only as big as a pencil eraser right now. BTW, I was tested for diabetes last year because of hypertention and my blood-sugar levels were normal. Thanks for any info on frostbite and treatment!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread