It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2002, 10:27 AM   #1
Veteran

Anonymity HB User
Red face Pinkie Toes Are Turning Out- Anyone Else? Suggestions?

I went to the podiatrist some time ago, and he diagnosed me with very flat feet and plantars fasciatis (not sure if that's spelled right). Anyway, he gave me some orthodic heel cups, and my foot pain has decreased.

Unfortunately, my pinkie toes are curled to the side so that the nail is pointing outward (to the left and right, relatively). The podiatrist said that this is partially caused by my flat feet and to be careful not to let calluses or sores develop on my toes. He said the only way to correct the toes would be to have surgery to break and reallign them. He didn't recommend the surgery at this time, but he said that since I'm so young (22) with this problem now, I will probably eventually need the surgery. Even since I've seen him (a couple of months ago), my toes have turned farther out.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Do you have suggestions for what shoes to wear? Should I be wearing a callus/corn protector? Is there something I can do to slow down the toe shifting?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Does anyone know of stretches etc. to reduce the pain associated with flat feet??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2002, 09:25 AM   #2
Veteran

Anonymity HB User
Gosh, I figured someone else would have this problem?? I'm all alone??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2002, 07:59 PM   #3

Brookej HB User
No, you are not alone! Your problem with the pinkie toes curling out sounds like one of the foot problems I have with my feet and it is called Tailor's bunions or bunionettes. Do a google search and you will probably find a lot of info on it. Do you have a bump on the side of each foot where the toe connects to the rest of the foot? Mine don't hurt but they seem to be turning furthur and furthur out with the passage of time. I don't have problems with corns but I get a lot of callous buildup on the bottom of my feet right under the bumps. I keep it under control by using a pumice stone on the callouses while soaking in the tub for a little while. If the callous gets too thick it gets pretty uncomfortable.

I have flat feet also and over pronate my feet when walking. Since I am in my 40's, this has been going on for years and I now have a lot of foot problems because of it. I have been wearing custom made orthodics for over a year now but I would have probably been better off now if I had started wearing them years ago like at your age. Even with orthotics, my pinkie toes still seem to be shifting and I don't know if there is any way to stop that.

I wear flat heeled shoes that my orthotics will fit into but I have heard that more of a heel helps some people with plantar faciitis (PF). PF is one foot problem I don't have. I can't tolerate heels at all because I can't stand any pressure on my forefoot which is where I have all of my foot problems. I have tried various callous and/or corn protectors in the past but to me it was a waste of money. I found cramming pads around my toes inside my shoes to be more irritating than just letting it be.

I know there are stretching exercises that are supposed to help with the PF pain but I don't know what they are. If you do a google search for PF (I think I spelled it correctly above) or foot pain you should be able to locate some websites that provide information about the exercises. Hopefully, your orthotic heel cups will help you in the long run and mabey you won't have as many foot problems later in life as some people have. At least you sought the advice of a Podiatrist early in life. I hope this helps some and I wish you the best of luck.

Old 01-27-2003, 03:37 PM   #4
Veteran

Anonymity HB User
I have been doing the stretching exercises religiously, wearing the orthodics, and trying to wear the best shoes for my feet. My plantars fasciatis and hell pain is much better; I think the stretches have especially helped.

Unfortunately, I am having constant pain in the pinkie toe of my right foot. (The left pinkie toe is sore, too, but nearly as much as the right one.) The pain is only barely noticeable when sitting, but it becomes much more noticeable when I walk. When the toe is touched, the pain is incredible. The toes are turning more, and I am worried.

I think I'm going to have to go back to the podiatrist. Hopefully, a different orthodic could help me. I certainly want to avoid surgery at all costs. Anyone with any information, please do share it. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2003, 09:41 PM   #5

ctina HB User
Wink

My baby toe also curled out to the side where the toe nail pointed outwards, I also had a bonoin on big toe, I just had surgery done on the 17th and was back to work the following Thrusday. I hear what your saying, I am 24 and I knew it would get worse. I was very scepical about the surgery, but even be such a short time afterwards I feel so much better, I don't have the constiant pain and pressure. Even though there was some pain after surgery I can feel the relife already. I only have to have the special shoe on for one more week and then I will have orthotic fit for my feet to avoid the problem again. What my Dr. did is removed a small part of the bone and straightend it back out, that part of by surgery only took about 10 min. My suggestion to you is to have the surgery, you will feel so much better after and being so young, imagine how much worse it will get as you get older. If you have any questions for me please ask.

Closed Thread